IGNORED

DOOM - Rip and Tear... Anywhere

Gambit

How I feel after a 2 hour Doom session

13221452_10154060987740803_4115702272324

I am Death Incarnate

1 hour ago, Oracle said:

I liked Doom 3.

Weedy weapons aside....me too. Incredibly atmospheric for it's time and a lot more action than you remember. Those pew pew guns and no gibs really hurt it, though.

I rather liked Doom 3 too. Never finished it though. I quite fancy giving it another look with some graphical mods once I've rinsed DOOM.

I also prefer it without the duck tape mod!

OK up to the Lazurus Labs and to be honest, the one trick pony of the combat has lost it's sheen a little. Don't get me wrong this is in my top 5 FPS games but coupled with the multiplayer, starting to see where the 8's come from.

My only gripe is a lack of animation on some of the bigger baddies when you shoot them. I'd like to see them flinch or something

This... this is fucking brilliant.

It's the first game in years I've gone straight for mouse and keyboard rather than plugging in a controller.  In the space of two levels I've gone from drunken ballet dancer to unstoppable death machine.  I don't think I've blinked for the last hour.  Incredible.

Odd question, but how common is the actual collection of a Rocket Launcher? Aside from the hidden one in mission 3 or whatever I don't recall collecting any. There are extra chainsaws, gauss cannons, plasma guns all over the shop but I don't recall many free rocket launchers.

I basically didn't upgrade anything except the shotgun.  I think my eyesight is shot, I couldn't find any of those little robots anywhere.  I ended up with about 40 unspent weapon upgrade points by the end.  Didn't find any rune challenges except the very first one (kill 15 imps?) either.

I think what this game has taught me is that I'm very, very old.  I had to stop playing every 2 or 3 hours because my eyes were raw, my left hand had turned into an immovable claw and my heart was going like the clappers.  

It's fucking great though, I hope they make another one.  And a new Quake.

6 hours ago, Spainkiller said:

Did you find any suit upgrades, though? First thing I upgraded with those was the suit's map features, which allowed me to easily see upgrade items on the map. Makes finding upgrades (mostly) a piece of piss, regardless of how good one's eyesight is :) 

I'm quite the opposite to this. I'm actually enjoying exploring and mopping up the last few secret areas once I've cleared out the map of enemies.

Thats when the level design really shines as the majority tend to be practically hidden in plain sight.

Just about to start level 5 and still absolutely loving it. 

Just wish there was an easy option to capture footage on PC, like the PS4 share feature.

1 hour ago, U-1 said:

Just wish there was an easy option to capture footage on PC, like the PS4 share feature.

Windows 10 and its XBox DVR app is good for this- needs a bit of a workaround to get it running but otherwise works fine (run Doom in Windowed mode, then tell the XBox app its a game, then switch back to fullscreen, and restart Doom -worked for me).

I have been messing about  with Snapmap too, Ill link a level when I have one working properly.
Tips!

• Go through the tutorials, they are short and point out some slightly obscure stuff that you need to know. And they reward you with coins.
  • Tab is your friend, as is the X, space and G keys (click on a section of map to highlight it then hit Tab to go into 3-d floating camera mode to place stuff, X  allows changing properties when you aim at a node or junction, space is confirm stuff (mostly) and G is start a connection from whatever you are looking at).
  • There are some very easy Mob controllers called Conductors that can populate a level with increasingly harder enemies or even trigger wave events, mini boss events and so on. Pop one in the level, look at it and hit X to edit the properties. 
  • Also there are individual mob spawners (NOT the individual demons themselves) which can be triggered repeatedly- for example one spawner can be triggered from a trigger box, later triggered again from an event ending, and even triggered from the player spawning.. etc which allows for some complex spawn traps.
  • I think there must be a way to colour the node connectors as my first attempts looked like a massive spiders web of connections very quickly- which was a nightmare (sic) to work with if something didn't trigger correctly so colouring them differently will help a lot
  • You need to put nodes in like Inventory, Level Items and Options, then aim at the node and hit x to edit the features. But remember to trigger these too (often by linking the Player 1 Spawn to them) as they will not work otherwise. 
  • If you have more than one player in your level then you can link player 2, 3 and 4 to the Conductor or Spawn nodes and increase the level of difficulty if that player joins- easy way to help keep the balance.
  • Shove some Health and Ammo Spawners around the level, X on them to set the type, and then you can drag a connection from anything (Player spawn, End of an Event, even individual Demon spawners so when the demon dies, or is hit ..  etc etc) to the spawner to get it to trigger when needed

Right that went on longer than I figured! Experiment though as there is loads of stuff I have not even began to look at, check out the Wiki:

http://snapwiki.doom.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

OK its not UE4 ;) but its very satisfying to play around with.

Fucking hell is this the best Chaingun in videogames? Sounds like a fucking beast, that start up is so satisfying and it tears through enemies like a warm knife through butter. I haven't got any upgrades for it yet either, and I love the fact that when you find it

it's set up like a turret gun in Aliens 

spiritembroidered.jpg

I got one of these Brazen Spirit 2.1 gaming chairs the other week because I wanted a new gaming toy to waste my money on :D  I hadn't really used it much apart from the odd game of Rocket League but was quite excited to try it with Doom because of the positive things I'd heard about the weapon sounds and the Industrial/Nu Metalish soundtrack.  It's obviously not up to a true surround setup (there's only 3 speakers) but it really was fun feeling the rumble of the shotgun via the chair vibration and the snarls of the demons right next to my ears.  I'd definitely recommend trying one out if you have a chance!

I remember listening to Chet and Jon's Reassuringly Finite Gaming Playlist when Titanfall came out and either Chet or Jon said something like "when I started playing Titanfall I physically started to laugh because the gunplay felt so good".

That's Doom all over for me.  It often cracks me up during play because killing the monsters is so incredibly satisfying, the guns so fun and the violence so excessive.  Lads, it's beautiful..

51 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Is the level designer for single player levels too? 

Yup, single player, coop, deathmatch etc. 

I am mostly interested in the waves/ hoard mode type games at the moment - for lunchtime games at work- but every mode is easily doable. 

Just remember to take baby steps - do one thing, start the game and see if it works as you intended, save and do the next. Its very tempting to get lost in spawn chaining or trap setting only to find you have messed up a node somewhere ages ago and have a hell of a job finding out which connection you missed..

3 hours ago, U-1 said:

There is, if you have an Nvidia card: Shadowplay. It's built in and couldn't be easier, press the assigned hotkey to start recording and press it again to turn it off.

PS4 version here, found a possible glitch with a challenge...

Level 2 - kill 2 baddies with one shotgun blast. The game told me I achieved this on two occasions in quick succession, but it wasn't marked as complete on the map screen... Until I got to the last room where the game announced I'd done it. But then I finished the level and it's marked as incomplete again grrrrrr!

Ah well, any excuse to go back and do it again on a harder level!!!

Also, loving the fact when you discover an old school Doom room in the campaign, the entire level is then unlocked in the main menu!