IGNORED

DOOM - Rip and Tear... Anywhere

Gambit

1 hour ago, Khrushchev said:

If this has a metal soundtrack it'll be getting turned right off.

I know people are allowed different taste but the Doom 4 soundtrack is utterly outstanding. The whole package is top 3 games of the year material, I didn't think id had this in them any more*

*I have a theory on this, indulge me if you will (I have read Masters of Doom and blogs on the subject etc). John Carmack basically slowly became George Lucas when Romero left, he gradually contrived his situation into him being the programmer god, he was in charge, whatever he says goes, and his design decisions began to creep in and take over. Basically, his way or the highway. Now Doom 3 was the culmination of this, I do quite like it, but for a Doom game, it is by far the most straight laced of them all. It's basically a game designed by an engineer, not a game designer. Hence the tight control the game wields over the whole experience, lots of places to show off the tech but super small arenas, very low key death scenes for creatures and bosses (the spider lady just slumps down, enemies fizzle away neatly), very pedestrian audio, it lacks those touches that a star designer comes in and says - right, that shotgun should go BOOOOOOM, and the enemies face should melt off.

The whole thing is a what a programmer wants, not what a bombastic crazy design guy like Romero wants. Where Doom 1 was like a push back and forth between the two visions - the engineer and the designer (Romero did program, just not as famously as his counterpart), Carmack later went on and removed all of the wild cards from iD (American Mcgee, Romero etc), began controlling his environment, and produced his own personal vision, the immaculately written but pedestrian design Doom 3. It's still fun, but it's not the crazy open areas and wild creature encounters of Doom 2. Now what we're receiving is the result of a developer cut free from the shackles, with low expectations placed on them ('Carmacks gone, it won't be any good'), with super solid tech and a desire to make a proper, fucking nuts, super fast creature blasting metal Doom game. And that's what we've got, in amongst all of the safe AAA junk pedalled at us these days, and thank the lord above for it.

16 hours ago, PK said:

I'm playing on a 670 and with everything on a mixture of Low and Medium it's running at 70-80fps in 1080p, so I imagine it would still be playable on your setup. It also still looks really great on lower settings!

doommed.jpg 

670 represent.

38 minutes ago, Spainkiller said:

I understand people not liking metal but everything about this game is soaked in it. You're essentially playing the video game version of a Slayer album, and the design philosophy behind every gameplay decision is basically "is it speed metal?".

Leave the soundtrack on! Just don't try to actively listen to; let it work on you in the background as you double-jump over a Hell Knight while raining down a stream of plasma on its shiny white skull. I guarantee you that it makes th experience better. 

Sometimes I don't kill the last guy in an arena so I can soak it up a bit more.

On the music. Huge metal fan so probably biased but overall I believe it just adds to the panic of the scene. The music in Hell (not nessescerily metal) sets the scene perfectly. The overall grandure of things are about to get fucked up.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I don't like metal but the music in Doom is perfect. It enhances the crazy action, gets you hype and fits the aesthetic perfectly. Musical tastes really don't matter because everything  - visuals,  level design, gameplay, sound - form a perfect whole.

2 hours ago, Khrushchev said:

If this has a metal soundtrack it'll be getting turned right off.

If I thought about it in advance without hearing the soundtrack itself I'd be in exactly the same boat. But I have found myself absolutely loving the soundtrack, I'm sure it wouldn't work for me outside of the game but it works so damn well within it and I guess that's what matters.

Also this game has reminded me of things I used to do in the original doom that I didn't realise I wanted. Wandering around a cleared map while trying to figure out where I want to go to next. You can't walk and have the map up at the same time but it's a thing that I spent so much time doing in the original that having it represented here is so right.

I've just watched the Digital Foundry report videos, gushing all over this. It does look remarkable. However it looks a million miles away from the MP beta I played a month or so ago? Are the MP visuals a downgrade on the main game as usual?

1 hour ago, englishbob said:

I've just watched the Digital Foundry report videos, gushing all over this. It does look remarkable. However it looks a million miles away from the MP beta I played a month or so ago? Are the MP visuals a downgrade on the main game as usual?

The MP,  from the little I've played,  only differs in that there is never quite so many pyrotechnics and demons fizzing around the environment,  so it never seems as intense nor as full on as the SP at its most gloriously excessive. 

23 minutes ago, englishbob said:

If that is the case, how much re playability is there on the single player game?

Loads, just buy the thing bob, how much telling do you need?

Its on the backburner for now, got Uncharted 4 to get through, complete a NG+ run of DSIII and just invested in Overwatch for next week for some online quick-go games. 

Doom will be the greatest £20 game investment when I get around to it in a few months. Will probably be a game for the Autumn 

22 hours ago, matt0 said:

Really can't resist this but my PC is below minimum spec. It's an i7 860 (3.2ghz on turbo), 8gb ram, Nvidia 750ti (so a bit less horsepower then a 660). Any chance of a decent experience? If it's low detail so be it. If I have to run it at less than native res (1080p monitor) so be it.

I might be recreating the classic 90s Doom on a 386sx experience here... 

I have a system similar to yours (same graphics card, i5-3350 3.1 ghz, 8 gb ram) and it runs fine (60+ fps with occasional drops to 45-50) at 1080p after setting the resolution scale to around 70-80% and the other settings at a mix of low, medium and high. Might get worse later (I'm only at the second level), but so far so good.

Best £22 I've spent on a game in a long long time. I've not even tried the multiplayer on this, yet I've completed the SP campaign this morning, and it delivers everything I wanted in a Doom game.

Glad I opted for the PC version for this as it really suits the keyboard and mouse. I had a few crashes to desktop - however the frequent checkpoint system meant this was just a minor inconvenience. I'll go back through and get some more retro levels unlocked. Still amazed at what an old school experience it delivered. Between this and the recent Wolfensteins, it's been a good time for getting back into minimal story maximum combat FPS games :)

Yes, this has flown up my list of favourite ever games. It's right up there. Just as I still do with Doom and Doom 2 I can see myself firing this up for a blast every now and again until my very own descent into the fiery pits of damnation. I reckon this will be just as timeless for me.

I'm weirded out by all the praise of this, played the beta a month or so ago and couldn't hack it for more than 10mins. Not my cup of tea at all. How long does the SP campaign last on average? I should really read a review of it or something.

I'm 99% certain a Hellknight just Shoryuken punched me to death, complete with delightful pirouette landing. 

Like the very best action games this really comes alive on the higher difficulties - it's tough but never feels unfair. The glory kill for health, chainsaw for ammo or just shoot them to death to keep your distance is a delightful risk/reward mechanic in it's own right.

As a teen I grew up with ID's games so to see them back on top form is just :wub: I knew this game would be good but it has defied all expectations.

Now if Lobotomy could reform and knock out a sequel to Exhumed that would be just pukka.

31 minutes ago, Capwn said:

I'm weirded out by all the praise of this, played the beta a month or so ago and couldn't hack it for more than 10mins. Not my cup of tea at all. How long does the SP campaign last on average? I should really read a review of it or something.

The beta was for multiplayer, everybody agrees that sucks; the single-player is by all accounts awesome.

And keep in mind that the multiplayer was not made by id Software. It's not representative of the campaign at all. 

On top of that, the marketing around this game could very well be the worst marketing in the history of gaming. It made the game look slow and derivative, while in reality the campaign is rather brilliant and unlike any shooter made in the last decade or so.

40 minutes ago, Capwn said:

Forget that MP Beta. It is not at all representative of the SP which is every bit as good as those in this thread will tell you it is. Game of the year good so far...

On my first playthrough,  on the easy Hurt Me Plenty difficulty,  it took me well in excess of 15 hours, probably closer to 20. 

Based on my progress so far it'll take me the same again on the considerably more aggressive Nightmare difficulty.

It's a substantial campaign which  despite maybe seeming quite repetitive manages,  thanks to some highly refined basic  FPS mechanics, to remain wildy entertaining until the final credits roll.. 

Ah it's good to hear that you all think the multiplayer is not representative of the 'actual' game. Also surprising to hear that it's 15+ hours long. So what I'm imagining now is that, there are hardly any set pieces or puzzles it's just endless levels of mowing down enemies. Normally that would get repetitive but I'm guessing it feels so good/tight that it's fun enough here. Seems like a lot of people are going back to play again, what are the motives for returning so soon? 

Also, the big question I had initially when this was shown at E3 was if the 'crazy' deaths get tiresome. If you're killing over and over and over, wouldn't a 3-5 second animation routine get tiring? or after a while does everyone just not bother with those kind of kills? How does this potential issue play out in the full game?

The glory kills do not have to be performed on every enemy but,  when implemented,  they provide a little health boost and an invincibility window as they are performed which leads to the player being able to throw in a glory kill for a little regen and a seconds rest amongst  the mayhem of clearing a room. There area fair few animations for each enemy so there is some variety but they haven't gotten boring or irritating yet. 

I think you need to try the game if you can as the mechanics and feel are where its at and its quite hard to appreciate them fully without actually playing it. 

I've gone straight back in to Nightmare because it's a lot harder,  I have a lot of secrets still to search out, and mostly because I just want to dish out more of that dynamic demon death. 

It's doom exactly as you would hope it to be in 2016 and its awesome fun. 

@Capwn

I love this game. Unlocked the super shotgun and double jump today which has elevated the already silken combat to new heights. After watching pre-release footage, I was sceptical about the glory kills but they add a really satisfying rhythm to the action along with the health drop incentive to use them. Similarly, the moderate scarcity of ammo along with the chainsaw is a great way to force you into using your entire arsenal. All smart little touches which, along with the amazing controls, weapon feedback and presentation, make this an absolute top-tier FPS.

Bethesda have been publishing some great single player focused games recently. Doom, Wolfenstein, Dishonored etc. Even Fallout 4 for all it's faults is still a pretty compelling package. I wonder how Prey will turn out.

8 hours ago, Capwn said:

Also, the big question I had initially when this was shown at E3 was if the 'crazy' deaths get tiresome. If you're killing over and over and over, wouldn't a 3-5 second animation routine get tiring? or after a while does everyone just not bother with those kind of kills? How does this potential issue play out in the full game?

Whenever you kill a monster with one it drops more health & ammo that it would have done normally.  Using them becomes a tactical decision, because you have to decide whether the risk of getting that close is worth the reward.  It's a pretty neat mechanic.

Have a read of this review, it should answer all of your questions about why you should play the game - http://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/doom-review/1900-745/