IGNORED

DOOM - Rip and Tear... Anywhere

Gambit

14 minutes ago, yashiro said:

I know Doom has always had secrets. However, in the latest Doom they're placed alongside the other tedious nonsense on a digital to do list. It's not their presence I dislike, it's the abundance of tick box tasks in the missions. 

I'm not 100% convinced by all the suit, weapon and rune unlocks either. I think having secondary fire options is needed to keep the combat fresh and give you more options in the moment, but maybe they should just be unlocked from the start and the various incremental suit upgrades done away with altogether.

The secrets and tasks on each level I'm fine with though. Anything that encourages repeat exploration of the levels just feels "Doomy", reminds me of playing through the shareware version of Doom episode 1 countless times and still having new stuff to find.

I'm loving having an FPS where I have to think about navigating space...  I think the last time I can remember having to think about where to go was the ODST hub city... 

Well, this might be a philosophical question but, does a double barreled shotgun really need a secondary fire? Or is it itself, in elegance and function, already such a perfect article in God's creation that any other ability would dilute its purity of form?

A good thing about the rune challenges is that you don't have to do them as soon as you find one. Once you 'activate' it, it will appear in the menu before you start up the game, along with the doom 1 & 2 levels you may have found . ( which are a proper bastard to find - I've only found 2 ) 

20 hours ago, marcus said:

I am not loving this as much as others.  Not to say the game is bad, it isn't, but for me its very underwhelming so far, it feels strangely lightweight and I am often left feeling detached from the by-the-numbers combat.   Seeing as Wolfenstein was mentioned, where that was entertaining and gripping throughout, this feels the opposite, I seem to be playing just to complete it and move on to the next game.  The music is also terrible, distractingly bad.  I am about 7 hours in, and frankly i prefer Doom 3 by some distance so far.

Wolfenstein was OK in very small doses but I found it is as lightweight and by the numbers as you are finding Doom which, for me, has the most satisfyingly pure FPS mechanics I've experienced in a very long time..

if you are seven hours in and not liking it then why carry on? The game pretty much remains the same until the end...

10 hours ago, Strategos said:

Seriously?!

I agree with the rune challenges though , everytime I find one I let out an exasperated sigh.

I like the rune challenges.

They make for a fun diversion and can yield some useful upgrades..

Been running through this to unearth some secrets. Goddamn, this game's a masterpiece. Most FPS campaigns these days are so setpiece heavy you'd find going back a complete chore - this is a recurring joy, over and over again.

Only slight problem is the few times it locks you in place for a minute or so. Samuel Hayden's got an amazing voice, but it's a shame you can't just nip straight out the door while he's talking and continue on without pause.

Need sequel. Now.

Doomguy / Story Spoiler

Did anyone catch that he backed up the Vega AI before wiping it, thought that was a nice moment when everything else in the game gets it's shit ruined. I wonder why he did it though - maybe he had an idea Hayden couldn't be trusted

Story questions in a DOOM game. Love it!

The gauss gun, micro rockets and chainsaw are all up there in the fun to use stakes. The weaponry in this game is awesome, the only thing this game is missing is the badass strobe lighting from the plasma gun that doom 3 had.

In fact more strobe lighting in the game would've been ace. I remember Dead Space had this amazing strobe lighting sequence at the start of the game which gave the enemy animations a jerky stop-motion quality which was really effective at upping the horror factor of the demons on the ship and then it was never used again. shame that.

For me, the only weapon that's a bit disappointing in this game is the mini gun. It does the damage, but it doesn't sound very powerful and the barrel spins too slowly once you've got it up to speed. It should feel more like the one out of the film predator.

It's just a bit boring to use and in the heat of the battle I forget I've got it. And once fully powered up, the two firing modes seem the same as well, they don't appear to offer any different tactics, anybody notice any differences?

Me too, I used it but usually only when I ran out of ammo for other weapons. 

But happily one of its upgrades is hold RMB to spin up the barrels- I used this a couple of days ago along with a quad damage to absolutely massacre a spawn section that was giving me some grief (Lazarus Labs, Nightmare).

The mini gun is great for applying sustained damage on the harder foes, like when you have two Mancubi and a Hell Baron in the area, it also cuts down Revenants quite quickly when you have three off them after you. But where the mini gun REALLY came into it's own was on the stage 2 of the 2nd boss battle.... I'm talking about making it piss easy after loads of other attempts using other weapons.

Tears into charging Pinkies too

49 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

Played the multiplayer beta of this and was thoroughly underwhelmed.

Same here.  It took a little while to click but it's good.  I don't think it's quite as special as the unanimous praise would suggest, but I love that it has that old school competitive arena shooter feel. It definitely needs more game modes.

Edit - Excuse the brain-fart, I thought this was the Overwatch thread for some reason.  Doom is damn near perfect.

14 minutes ago, Hellcock said:

Scooped this along with Overatch at the weekend. Only managed to have a quick burst with it but I love ho fast paced it is! Pretty crazy.

Q. When I stun an enemy, sometimes they turn blue before turning orange. Is blue an out of range thing? I haven't been able to get a kill whilst they've been blue and I've forgotten what it says during the intro to glory kills.

http://twinfinite.net/2016/05/doom-how-to-glory-kills/

When taking on enemies you may notice that they may glow with a blue highlight occasionally. This blue glow indicates that the enemy is staggering, as will their rather off movements. When you see an enemy staggering this is your moment to strike for a glory kill.

What you’ll want to do is get up right close to the enemy. When you’re close enough, the blue highlight of the enemy will turn orange, indicating that you’re within range to deal out some seriously gruesome damage. Press the R3 button (click in the right thumbstick) when the enemy is glowing orange to perform a glory kill.

On 29 May 2016 at 11:18 AM, MrSpiggott said:

For me, the only weapon that's a bit disappointing in this game is the mini gun. It does the damage, but it doesn't sound very powerful and the barrel spins too slowly once you've got it up to speed. It should feel more like the one out of the film predator.

It's just a bit boring to use and in the heat of the battle I forget I've got it. And once fully powered up, the two firing modes seem the same as well, they don't appear to offer any different tactics, anybody notice any differences?

That's a shame. I enjoyed Doom 3 but the weapon sounds were definitely a low point, nothing sounded meaty enough, and I'm still not sure how they messed up something as simple as the pump-action shotgun. 

All the other guns sound ok? 

I thought the minigun sounded suitably chunky and punchy, it was only when adding the uranium rounds that it turned into a put put fart gun. All the other weapon sounds are tops.

Also, Quad Damage still has the best sound FX ever

NURGH NURGH NURGH