Formula 1 - Codemasters

tyler

(who is casserole? apologies for not accepting your friend invite straightaway - I thought some random had looked for people playing online and tried nabbing me :)

Yeah that's me. :)

Is a mic essential then? Everyone had one tonight, but most of what I heard were muffling sounds. It was the same with Perfect Dark Zero (when I still had the mic) all those years ago. Maybe to do with the connection speed?

I lose a lot of time on the fast corners because of the pad. I know there's seconds to be gained by taking the right line and speed, but more often than not constantly adjusting the turns means I have to lift off or even brake, whereas others can just do it flat out.

Can I ask if you're driving a car IRL? If not, then that may be the problem. Have you ever gone go-karting? It's a bit like that, I reckon.

In any case...MAN UP. :)

I do drive a car, yeah. Don't get me wrong, I'm not totally useless. I remember playing the Forza demo when I first got my wheel and I got to grips with it quicker than my friends who don't drive (they'd have no chance with manual gears and no assists, which was how I was playing it as soon as I got it and setting good times). Just need to get back into using the wheel again, as it's been a while since I played Forza with it and I never did progress to the really powerful cars then anyway. Still, I'm playing it with all assists off and I'm managing to keep it on the track; I was just frustrated with myself. I probably exaggerated my spazzyness somewhat due to my frustration at not being able to set a good time.

I'm sure my driving will get smoother as I get through some more track time tommorow. I played it just now for a bit, and I had a better time of it. Just need to learn that middle sector at Bahrain which is causing me problems at the moment. Plus, my wheel stand pro is being delivered so that will help with the position of my wheel which is a little awkward at the moment. :)

Yeah that's me. :)

Is a mic essential then? Everyone had one tonight, but most of it was muffling sounds. It was the same with Perfect Dark Zero (when I still had the mic) all those years ago. Maybe the connection speed?

Aha! :)

I find that when I don't have a mic plugged in and the voices come through the tv set, it sounds bloody awful. Much better when the headset is on. That said I use it more for hearing what everyone is saying - I find myself being a little self conscious when it comes to talking myself. But there are some bloody chatterboxes on there so you can barely get a word in edgeways anyway :)

There are probably times where it would be handy if you spin out on a blind bend - Monaco is a likely candidate - or in Forza for example, people would let slower drivers know they were closing in fast.

Ah yeah, that's a good use. After spinning today I (more or less) waited for anyone coming up past, but the problem is the mere sight of a stationary car facing the wrong way is enough to distract them - they were passing me, only to spin in the next corner!

So, just redid the career races I did last night, except obviously whereas last night I was on the 360 with a pad tonight I was on the PS3 with a wheel. Results comparison (Career, Virgin, Expert, no driving aids):

Bahrain

360/pad: Qualified 23rd, Finished 24th

PS3/wheel: Qualified 13th, Finished 8th

Melbourne

360/pad: Qualified 22nd, Finished 23rd

PS3/wheel: Qualified 10th, Finished 8th

In general, I am usually around 3 seconds per lap quicker with my wheel. The main area the pad loses out on are long radius corners - with a wheel you can gently glide around, with the pad you're having to do a heck of a lot of shuffling.

Having said all this, I can imagine that the pad would be fine with a few driving aids turned on.

I lose a lot of time on the fast corners because of the pad. I know there's seconds to be gained by taking the right line and speed, but more often than not constantly adjusting the turns means I have to lift off or even brake, whereas others can just do it flat out.

See you guys in 3 months then :coffee: Oh well, I will scratch around at the back with Joe.

Incidentally, my order was apparently despatched at 9pm Wednesday so I still don't have it. Here is hoping the postman is kind to me tomorrow. For everyone who already has the game, hate you all

The one thing i'll say is that if the codies don't know how to do anything else, they DO know how to do zoom.

Its just a shame its more to do with the graphical effect as seen on a menu, rather then speed.

Anyhoo some good races tonight.

Even though i know 2 or 3 of the tracks quite well, it remains to be said you don't know the tracks until you've done them in an F1 car.

There is certainly things wrong with this though, but they've just about nailed the game well enough to provide tension.

But my main gripe for Helios to pass on...

If you crash or get disqualified at least allow us the privalge of watching the race properly. Not sit there for 4 minutes watching a bloody meny screen whilst waiting for the race to end.

Oh and WHAT is the point of that zoom? Dirt2 had it as well. It makes no sense.

The one thing i'll say is that if the codies don't know how to do anything else, they DO know how to do zoom.

Its just a shame its more to do with the graphical effect as seen on a menu, rather then speed.

:lol:

But my main gripe for Helios to pass on...

If you crash or get disqualified at least allow us the privalge of watching the race properly. Not sit there for 4 minutes watching a bloody meny screen whilst waiting for the race to end.

Totally with you there. When I'd finished a race online earlier with Meerman etc, I did mention that being able to watch the other people as they finished would have been cool. You are right that just having that menu hanging there seems stupid.

Got this yesterday and installed it last night. My initial impressions are good so far with the driving and handling feeling very good. The graphics, although turned up to maximum were a bit disappointing. Obviously things are going to look as good as the videos (lower res sometimes distorts the truth), but I expected a bit more from the engine, and its quite clearly a DX9 game. Still, its mostly about the racing and not the graphics. Started off on the first race and went from 24th to 10th in half a lap. The controls using the 360 controller are excellent, and I can see myself quite happily playing through this game.

I am looking forward to trying out the multiplayer, but from what I have experienced so far, I am very pleased with my purchase :)

Right then.

Not raced yet, just done the Bahrain Practice in career and blatted round Silverstone in time trial. I'm impressed so far. The feeling of the downforce working on the car is uncanny. Getting Stowe corner right at Silverstone feels immense, the car moving over the bumps but still clinging on as you hit the exit clipping point and you're away. It distills what driving an F1 car is all about, you don't do it for pleasure, because open wheel single seaters can frankly be a right twat to drive. The car is simply a tool for you to conquer the track with, and it feels brilliant. The brake lockup modelling is very good, only locking when you get in to 1st / 2nd gear speeds. F1 geeks like me will lap this stuff up, it's tremendous.

I'm playing with a pad and yes, it's a bit twitchy on long corners, I'm going to see if I can tune out some of the twitchiness with the car setup, I prefer a car that's a bit unstable at the rear, so it might be a compromise. I'm not having too much trouble with a pad, on expert with no aids, I was top 15 in an HRT at Bahrain, maybe the pad's weaknesses will be shown on tracks with fewer mickey mouse corners (yes the 'carpark' section of Bahrain is gash).

Cannot wait to get back to it.

Will be picking this up tonight on the way home from work - haven't read the whole thread but does anyone know:

1. Is there just one edition of the game or is there a special edition of it?

2. Has anyone set up a Rllmuk F1 gamertag yet?

Ta :)

The cheeky fucker will have signed it himself.

He hasn't. He left the peel off sticker on it that they stick on their cards that you sign. Checked the post office website today with the tracking number and it shows as being processed with no signature for delivery yet.

Loving this thus far. Was a bit let down with my first race in the Lotus as I won it easily but after tweaking the driving aids, simulation options and driver ai it feels just right. Learning the track and tweaking your setup in practice, slowly improving you lap time. Driving the car on what you feel is the edge and only qualifying 17th. Snatching a 2 position on the last lap only to pile into the back of someone in the last corner and getting a +10 second penalty. Feeling authentically back-markerish. :wub:

Don't get me wrong, I love the people of Newcastle; but that geordie cunt can piss off.

Ah, so that's a geordie accent!

Speaking as a lovely person of Newcastle, that race engineers accent sounds a bit more mackum* than geordie to me.

Fucking well annoying.

Anyway, average as I am at the game, I'm loving it so far (handling aside, its got the exact same vibe as Grid had, which I loved). Only been using a pad but I'm finding it fine, totally playable and not as difficult as I'd anticipated.

May raid the shed and get out the wheel (and Workmate) for some online though.

*Mackum = a dweller of Sunderland, a small town 8 miles south of Newcastle.

I had a great night of racing online yesterday. I joined Meerman who had assembled a load of muk'ers and we did 3 or 4 20% races with Qualifying and it surprised me how much fun doing the qualifying actually was. Most of us spent the 15 mins learning the track and just trying to complete one single valid lap. Nailing a lap and seeing your name jump up the table is a real buzz. The races themselves were fast, frantic, and bloody dangerous if it were real life. Cars were spinning off at corners which were then hit by other cars, debris spraying all over the road, yellow flags were constantly being waved, and loads of penalties being handed out (we had pit-lane drive throughs, +10 sec & +1 lap penalties, and disqualifications). In one race there were eight drivers; by the end of the race three finished, four were disqualified, and one driver wrecked his own car (hi Dimahoo! :bye:). Don't let all this put anyone else off though, this is just the initial period of players learning the track layout and how to race at such high speeds.

Later our group consisted of McSpeed, Harns, Dimahoo, U1 v2, and me so we decided to do a load of Sprint races (3 laps, no qualifying, dry weather) to get to know some of the tracks. All of us surpassed or failed at some point and it was great fun. In one race I ripped my nose cone off on lap 1 so I pitted, accidentally picked Intermediate tyres, hit a wall on Lap 2 ripping my nose cone off again and puncturing both front tyres, then spent 2 mins nurturing my car all the way back to the pit lane again, and forgot to change my tyres back to slicks :doh:. Some of the tracks clicked straight away and became favourites, others we held judgement on because they're going to need a lot of practise, and one was just hated by all of us (Abu Dhabi). Over the course of the evening we began to suss out the handling of the cars, the best car set-ups to use, and the tracks themselves. By the end of the evening we were jumping into rooms with randoms and having some blistering races, I'm taking about real nose-to-tail stuff, looking to an opening to get past each other, making split-second decisions, and taking risks. And it's here that F1 2010 shines as a great racer; when players are confident in their abilites and begin to push hard to overtake cleanly. It is so bloody exciting. There was one race with Harns, McSpeed, and myself, racing the full 3 laps in close proximity of each other, knowing we were all so close, and racing as hard as we could but in the end we were so well matched (for that one race anyway) that afterwards McSpeed said, "That was the most exciting race I have ever been in that had no overtaking", and he was absolutely right.

There are shortcomings to the game (very dull watching a results screen for 10mins if you've crashed out), and there are several annoying bugs (Drivers Aid line disappearing, sound completely screwing up fixed only by rebooting game), but the thrill of racing is there and actual driving is spot on, and its this that will keep me coming back again and again.