Formula 1 - Codemasters

tyler

I had a great race in China last night where it was 11 laps starting under dry conditions, and rain moved in around lap 6. I currently drive with all assists off apart from automatic gearing and most other settings on easy. I started well and was let go in 4th after pit stops and was gifted 1st as the leaders pitted after me. 1 lap later it started to lightly rain with little effect on the car aside from some over steer on corners. This continued for another lap but the rain became heavier and by lap 9 it was torrential. I had built up a near 30 second lead by that point so I decided to not pit for the final 2 laps despite the now erratic handling of the car. Crossing the line for final lap, I realised the 30 second lead was helped by every other car pitting for wets and now they were charging behind me and closing the gap very quickly.

The handling of my Lotus on Slicks for the final lap of the Chinese Gran Prix, forced me to use some of the most intense car control I've ever had to employ for any racing game of recent times. The car was aqua planeing at high speed, under breaking and on full speed corners. Half way round I could no longer follow any driving lines and was at full lock on every corner not daring to touch the throttle. I managed to make it across the line in 1st with Webber seconds behind me.

After years of racing games having no weather changes, this is the first that really shows you how having a beautiful and in depth weather simulation can change the quality of any game.

The handling of my Lotus on Slicks for the final lap of the Chinese Gran Prix, forced me to use some of the most intense car control I've ever had to employ for any racing game of recent times. The car was aqua planeing at high speed, under breaking and on full speed corners. Half way round I could no longer follow any driving lines and was at full lock on every corner not daring to touch the throttle. I managed to make it across the line in 1st with Webber seconds behind me.

After years of racing games having no weather changes, this is the first that really shows you how having a beautiful and in depth weather simulation can change the quality of any game.

Yeah weather is something that adds hugely to the enjoyment and tension of racing games. I havn't played many console racing games over the past few years, but played quite a few during the PS1 era that had dynamic weather, so I'm pretty surprised when you say that recent years of racing games had no weather changes. That's a pretty fundamental thing to be missing.

Yeah weather is something that adds hugely to the enjoyment and tension of racing games. I havn't played many console racing games over the past few years, but played quite a few during the PS1 era that had dynamic weather, so I'm pretty surprised when you say years of racing games having no weather changes. That's a pretty fundamental thing to be missing.

I've played racers in the past that have set weather, i.e. raining or snowing for the duration of a race but nothing dynamic like in this game. Here you might just get a few drops of rain then it goes away, then the clouds begin to darken and there might be a downpour or there might not. It makes the decision to pit far harder/fun/strategic.

Which racers on the PS1 had dynamic weather?

I've played racers in the past that have set weather, i.e. raining or snowing for the duration of a race but nothing dynamic like in this game. Here you might just get a few drops of rain then it goes away, then the clouds begin to darken and there might be a downpour or there might not. It makes the decision to pit far harder/fun/strategic.

Which racers on the PS1 had dynamic weather?

I think F1 97 did on the PS1 which is one of my all time driving favs. Spent hours and hours on that game. I recall driving round and spots appearing on the camera.

Another strategic element in the game was engine problems. Smoke would start coming from the engine and deciding weather to cruise round and hope for 4th or pushing and coming 1st knowing the engine was far more likely to give up was great fun. F1 2010 does have the engine playing up but not complete failures.

I think TOCA may have had weather changes too.

Maybe that's not 'quite a few' as I said before, though I can vaguely recall weather in games I think were dynamic though can't be sure it was so long ago. Maybe EA's F1 2000 on PS had it as well that was a solid effort though not liked by that many.

"Win your first online ranked Grand Prix"

?

Sounds simple enough, although I've not ventured online because I just can't imagine it to be anything other than a load of ramming idiots...

You would think that but what exactly is a ranked grand prix??, see i have won a grand prix mode in the quick modes section and got no trophy and me and a few mates where doing custom grand prix last night and nobody got the trophy!! :wacko:

I think F1 97 did on the PS1 which is one of my all time driving favs. Spent hours and hours on that game. I recall driving round and spots appearing on the camera.

Another strategic element in the game was engine problems. Smoke would start coming from the engine and deciding weather to cruise round and hope for 4th or pushing and coming 1st knowing the engine was far more likely to give up was great fun. F1 2010 does have the engine playing up but not complete failures.

But if you think about it has there been many engine failures this year?? Well apart from the obivous Kovalainen at the weekend!

I'd rather them not have that, and instead have improved AI, proper qualifying, split times etc. Don't get me wrong, the weather effect is great, but it's superficial.

I would rather have a completely solid game too but I've only had a corrupt ghost save and have twice not been released from the pits by my team so I trundle out in 24th position.

I've had a corrupt Super Mario Galaxy 2 save, crashes on Metroid Prime Trilogy, crashes across multiple PS3 & Xbox 360 games and don't get me started on my Laptop. One of my favourite games ever made is Elder Scroll IV Oblvion and that's full of shit that does not work! A Developer or Publisher should be punished for consistently releasing broken games but not a single piece of software is released bug free.

I won't put up with a game that is fundamentally broken or just will not play, but if the bugs don't get in the way of my enjoyment as they have not yet in F1 2010, then I don't really have a problem.

Yeah weather is something that adds hugely to the enjoyment and tension of racing games. I havn't played many console racing games over the past few years, but played quite a few during the PS1 era that had dynamic weather, so I'm pretty surprised when you say that recent years of racing games had no weather changes. That's a pretty fundamental thing to be missing.

As Karzee mentions, there's been multiple examples of racing games that have weather but too few that have true dynamic weather. Going from a dry race on slicks with a race strategy for that set up, to a gamble to stay out in till the dry line fades requiring wets, is a relatively new experience for a console racing game.

I can't think of one PlayStation 1 era racing game that had dynamic weather, let alone one that takes it to the extremes that F1 2010 has. Are there any notable examples?

Man, I forgot about TOCA, what a great game was. The Codies could do no wrong in my eyes back then.

You would think that but what exactly is a ranked grand prix??, see i have won a grand prix mode in the quick modes section and got no trophy and me and a few mates where doing custom grand prix last night and nobody got the trophy!! :wacko:

Aha, sounds like it might be a glitchy achievement/trophy. (I encountered the other glitchy trophies last night "seeking performance" doesn't pop for me at all, and "practice makes perfect" is broken)

Edit: a ranked grandprix is probably just one you join instead of one you set up... (I've not been on the MP yet so I can't help)

Lord have mercy, the Prime tires are terrifying when the degradation starts.

Had 9 laps at Albert Park with Petrov breathing down my neck forcing me to go faster than I really wanted, every corner was a nightmare!

Managed to resist and bring it home though. I've never been so relieved to get 10th place!

Why is the gobby prick telling me my team mate is much faster than me and that I should look at and maybe copy his set up. I'm in 3rd and he's in 18th you dumb fuck! I just slowed down that lap to find a clear spot of track so the stupid AI cunts don't keep spazzing into me <_<

If you're into racing online then get it now and join in with us for the Time Trials, Championships, and random races together. If you're not then if I was you I'd wait to see if Codemasters fix some major bugs in the career mode. The driving/racing is excellent though, I've no qualms about it at all, so if you can overlook some of the issues being reported then I'd definitely recommend it.

I just got this for my birthday....with a steering wheel! :blush:

Any total beginners on this?

Wow! That's some present. Which version of the game and which steering wheel did you get.

The game only came out last week so there are plenty of beginners. I recommend switching on Traction Control and the Driving line, then doing a bit of time trialing to get used to the speed and handling without the worry of other cars.

I know, I wasn't expecting it at all! I was just going to get the game at the weekend depending on how much FIFA is.

I got the 360 version, never used a wheel before and had a quick go on Forza to see how much different it is to the pad. The feedback was incredible, I could feel each tyre on F3.

Well get the most out it by joining us online. It doesn't matter how good/bad you are, it's great racing with friends, learning the tracks, and bantering.

I got a wheel when Forza 3 was released; the force-feedback in that game remains the best I've ever tried.

*snip awesome story*

Needs more love!

It's amazing going through the old pages in this thread seeing all the hype. But this post caught my eye in particular. Get that knife and fork ready Meers - although being Dutch I'll let you roll it up and smoke it instead if you like ;)

I've already bought Blur some time ago, and it's the English version so there's only one language in the booklet. Were it the Dutch version, I'd have to eat my way through four languages' worth of paper! :lol:

And I still haven't found any game-destroying bugs yet, not even during my thorough playthrough on Sunday. So I still don't see what the fuss is all about.

For the patch fix lack of subtitles

That must be well annoying for you. :s

QA is the first department that's getting overruled when it comes to deadlines or commercial pressure. In the end the decision 'it's good enough' isn't taken by QA but by the people higher up who have more interests than just the quality of the product. Sometimes it's necessary to release a product with known issues to meet stakeholder demands or launch within a window of opportunity, and not releasing would be worse than releasing something that should have been better.

This is a calculated risk which may or may not backfire. It seems it's backfiring now, but who knows what the damage would have been if the developers were allowed to finish and fix the whole product, but releasing it after the season was over or after the Christmas rush or after Gran Turismo 5? It may have meant huge losses, very low sales and losing the license. I reckon they expected the damage would have been greater than having to deal with a few disgruntled, vocal gamers who will point their arrows elsewhere after 2 or 3 weeks and lap up F1 2011 just the same.

QFT.

So gents I take it that the championship is starting today ?

:facepalm:

Please keep an eye on the online racing folder from now on, so you won't miss any updates. ;)

Meerman has been awfully quite in here over the last 24 hours.

Did he already choke to silence because of eating that Blur manual? :) Video!

Right, that's it. A wholeheartedly "fuck you, McPrick" from me to you. :lol:

First of all, the forum is blocked at my new job (let alone a lot of other sites, the only ones we're allowed to visit are google, nu.nl and wikipedia). Apart from that, it's a great workplace, believe it or not. And without the forum, I actually get some work done. Trying to catch up on things on the forum around dinner time.

Secondly, I'm working my arse off at night to get the championship organised. What do I get from you? A post like that. Thanks very much.

Thirdly, I'd like to play this game in the evenings as well, and I'm enjoying it very much, by the way. I'd rather do that instead of reading in here how many bugs people have found. I've found a couple of minor ones so far, none of them affected my enjoyment of this title YET.

Fourthly, it's spelled QUIET, not quite.

Fifthly, Dimahoo is always right.

I love you, Joe...but you need a kick up your whippersnapper arse sometimes. Allow me to do so come the Dutch meet. :P

The thing is, Meerman is always super hyped for games.

And he believes the hype!

It's kinda a good thing cos he gets pumped up and excited! Being positive ftw.

The flipside is that he'll buy nearly anything that looks nice. He was all over DIRT 1, and it took him ages to realise he was wrong; and it was effectively driving the same car over and over, over a lot of too small courses.

Let's just wait shall we :P

The thing about all the f1 problems is that surely it was so close to being a brilliant f1 debut for Codies, and as it is they've fallen short in a lot of places.

Didn't stop them rolling out their hype or somehow getting good reviews though. Hmmm....