Beyond Good and Evil 2

ianinthefuture

I can't quite see the Zelda comparisons, partly because I've never got on with Zelda games that much, but also because BG&E was having a stab at loads of other gameplay styles, rather than sticking to it's adventure roots like Zelda. Okay, the stealthy bits arguably dominated, but there are few other games that have tied different styles of play to the same game without making them feel like they're taking you away from the main gameworld.

The problem with BG+E was that it was basically just hide and seek. With aliens.

This. Fighting Alpha Sections was a pain even if you'd figured out the dodge-and-counter manoeuvre by now, and the instant deathtraps where you'd walk in the line of sight of a camera and it'd play out a scene where you get killed just felt really unfair...

BG&E is more like an interactive movie than a real game. It was fun to play, but it never came close to challenging. Every aspect of the game was incredibly well thought out, which kept it all fresh. I can understand how people don't like this Zelda-light, but I have great memories of that rooftop chase, the incredible music and the hours I've spent on taking photos of animals.

BGaE had the most divine soundtrack in any videogame ever. It really did.

Makes me teary eyed whenever I hear it.

Absolutely. A stunning soundtrack. I have nothing but fond memories of playing this game. (Actually, I remember nearly tearing all my hair out during the final boss fight, but it was a satisfying victory in the end!)

Absolutely. A stunning soundtrack. I have nothing but fond memories of playing this game. (Actually, I remember nearly tearing all my hair out during the final boss fight, but it was a satisfying victory in the end!)

I accidentally only had four hearts and nothing to give me my health back when I did that boss fight. I also lost two hearts with every hit, so that became one of the most intense boss fights I can remember. :wub:

Oh dear! Captain N is here.

.::: May I remind of my dislike of the Zelda-series in general? Especially OOT? And anything Flagship touched?

And yes that does place BG&E even lower. The only good thing about it was text-input.

That and the Dutch translation, which was the first time it was done competently in a game, though that's not of your concern.

Will this have utterly appauling, almost game-ruining stealth sections in it too?

Psch. The stealth bits were great. In fact, the best stealth bits in a non-stealth game ever. They were short, but sweet, and it was always clear whether or not the bad guys would be able to see you or not. Basically they were puzzles where you just had to work out the route around the area without being seen. If the enemies had had advanced Splinter Cell or MGS-esque AI it would have been shit.

Anyway, great news.

Jesus, such a mash up of supid wrongness in one thread I have never witnessed. BG+E was quite simply a beautiful game, full of character and charm. It looked and played lovely. It sounded breathtaking. It was a sumptuous little gem in amidst a swamp of licenced and sequel shit.

For shame on the negative comments. For shame!

Jesus, such a mash up of supid wrongness in one thread I have never witnessed. BG+E was quite simply a beautiful game, full of character and charm. It looked and played lovely. It sounded breathtaking. It was a sumptuous little gem in amidst a swamp of licenced and sequel shit.

For shame on the negative comments. For shame!

You're living in the past quirtle, welcome to the new rllmuk. All thanks to Biglime's reverse psychology. :(

You're living in the past quirtle, welcome to the new rllmuk. All thanks to Biglime's reverse psychology. :(

I know you're joking, but your point is relevant to me. More and more every day I wonder why i bother with this place.

BG&E is more like an interactive movie than a real game. It was fun to play, but it never came close to challenging.

Except for one of the stealth bits being completely fucking impossible. So I never played it ever again.

Psch. The stealth bits were great. In fact, the best stealth bits in a non-stealth game ever.

Stealth bits in a non-stealth game = WRONG.

BG+E, Windwaker, Fable... all ruined because of them.

Except for one of the stealth bits being completely fucking impossible. So I never played it ever again.

Don't be a pillock. I completed it, Mrs Miggins from the pie shop completed it. How could it be so impossible? What's the point of this post?

Don't be a pillock. I completed it, Mrs Miggins from the pie shop completed it. How could it be so impossible? What's the point of this post?

It was impossible for me. Therefore, impossible. For me.

And the point of the post is this: put shit stealth sections in the sequel suffer the face-punching consequences.

so - which platform?

I reckon it'll be multi-format.

It could be a perfect fit for the Wii. The tone of BG&E would better suit the Wii's core demographic, granting the sequel a real opportunity to turn a profit and thus provide Ubisoft with a greater incentive to green light the project. Plus Ancel has worked with the Wii before, and from what I've played of Rayman Raving Rabbids, he seems to know what he's doing. It might not look as good as a next-gen title, but that would be a worthwhile sacrifice in order to get the game made in the first place.

It might also single-handedly double the amount of decent third party Wii titles! :(

.::: May I remind of my dislike of the Zelda-series in general? Especially OOT? And anything Flagship touched?

And yes that does place BG&E even lower. The only good thing about it was text-input.

That and the Dutch translation, which was the first time it was done competently in a game, though that's not of your concern.

:(

Gotta be for the Wii, hasn't it? I cant see them getting the green light for a HD version.

Spruce up the GC engine and graphics, add some waggle and a new story and I think it will have a chance of doing very well :(

No, the game is for 360 and PS3. And even if Ubi hasn't confirmed it yet, it will almost certainly be released.

ancel's best and most underrated game is king kong. Seriously. Loved that game.

Yeah, me too. Very clever game design. Extremely tense and involving. One of the best movie > videogame adaptation ever.

It was impossible for me. Therefore, impossible. For me.

And the point of the post is this: put shit stealth sections in the sequel suffer the face-punching consequences.

They were *so* easy, like a simplified, easy version of MGS1. I'm shocking at stealth games and even I breezed through them.

Another person here who thought BG&E was nothing more than average. Probably my own fault though. I bought it after everyone started raving about it so my expectations were sky high. No way they could've been met, and they weren't. Got up to a point where I had to collect a load of pearls. Sod that. Surprised so many people liked this part and yet Wind Waker gets constant criticism for its triforce hunt. And every Rare platformer for that matter.