Beyond Good and Evil 2

ianinthefuture

Is the dusty landscape literal then?, i thought it was kind of a comment on the characters being stranded for the bazillion game-sequel years since the first game.

I thought it was a very cheap way of having a background. Far simpler than finishing up city assets or something else with more detail

1) Jade doesn't move in that teaser. Is this her new tone? Is this revealing her new mood to be carried through the game??

No it's because her mesh has not been rigged yet. Not even the concept, model and textures will be finalized yet. They just stuck in a real tempory rig and made her sit down. I bet there are all sorts of pinches and deforms but you don't see because it doesn't concentrate on her.

2) Ohhh, desert environment?? Wonder how much of the game will be set there??

The environment I bet isn't even for the game. They will of had some personal training or short film attempt and used that environment to place it in

In short this really is an early look at what they have from pre production. I wouldn't be suprised if the style, voice and pig character design change.

1) Jade doesn't move in that teaser. Is this her new tone? Is this revealing her new mood to be carried through the game??

No it's because her mesh has not been rigged yet. Not even the concept, model and textures will be finalized yet. They just stuck in a real tempory rig and made her sit down. I bet there are all sorts of pinches and deforms but you don't see because it doesn't concentrate on her.

It's not really a change of tone or mood though. In the opening cutscene of the first game, Jade was acting in a very similar manner.

BG&E sequel to be "more accessible".

"We saw with Beyond Good & Evil that so many customers were extremely happy with the game. We had a different audience at that time. We had more core gamers than casual gamers than we have today," Yves Guillemot told Next-Gen.biz.

"We think the game was probably a little too difficult for the general gamers at that time. We're going to make it more accessible and make sure that it's really done for the new generation that's come into videogames."

I understand them wanting to justify making it after the first one didn't sell, but "too difficult"? I finished in 5 days IIRC and cannot recall once finding anything hard. Frustrated and bored at the annoying stealth sections, perhaps, but most things died with three hits of my stick.

BG&E sequel to be "more accessible".

I understand them wanting to justify making it after the first one didn't sell, but "too difficult"? I finished in 5 days IIRC and cannot recall once finding anything hard. Frustrated and bored at the annoying stealth sections, perhaps, but most things died with three hits of my stick.

it'll be a mish-mash of mini-games... oh.

Yep, strange thing to say that the game was too difficult. It was one of the easiest games I've played, and I'm pretty much Mr Average Skillz Gamer. Anyway, loved the video, and I'm genuinely cock-a-hoop that they're finally making a sequel. Here's hoping we get the full trilogy.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, OH FUCKING HELL YESSSSSSS!!!!!

I Loved the original. Please let it be every bit as enchanting as the firs one.

Also, why all the bitching of the more realistic style that i'm seeing in and out of forums? It seems only logical seeing as that the cartoony style of the original was mainly done to accustome to the console power of the day. Seeing as the PS3 and 360 have vastly improved rendering capabilities, it seems only like the obvious step to give it a more "realistic" kind off style.

Also, why all the bitching of the more realistic style that i'm seeing in and out of forums? It seems only logical seeing as that the cartoony style of the original was mainly done to accustome to the console power of the day. Seeing as the PS3 and 360 have vastly improved rendering capabilities, it seems only like the obvious step to give it a more "realistic" kind off style.

This is the internet. You could be cryogenically frozen and then awakened the day before the sun implodes, and you'd still find a group of these chimps in denial, their calcified fingers clattering on ancient keyboards about the purported molestation of their favorite franchises.

BG&E might've been many things - but it certainly wasn't hard. It got frustrating at the end doing a pearl quest - but it certainly wasn't hard. It was as hard as Starfox Adventures. Don't know how they could make a game like that any more accessible on the PS3 oe 360 without it becoming completely devoid of any challenge.

BG&E might've been many things - but it certainly wasn't hard. It got frustrating at the end doing a pearl quest - but it certainly wasn't hard. It was as hard as Starfox Adventures. Don't know how they could make a game like that any more accessible on the PS3 oe 360 without it becoming completely devoid of any challenge.

I can't believe that we are in total agreement.

• 3 weeks later...
I just hope the boss doesn;t invert your controls and you have to kill him 3 times or whatever this game. I genuinely never completed B&G&E& because of this.

I just beat that boss all of 15 minutes ago and it's pretty easy really. You didn't miss any exposition really after it anyway apart from the cliffhanger twist type thing.

Anyway, that was my first time completing it (having gotten a couple of dungeons in back when it was released) and I thoroughly enjoyed it. So much so that I got all the pearls, animals etc. and it still only took about 12 hours to complete. Very much looking forward to the sequel, so many good ideas and great storytelling in the first.

As for it being more "accessible", I can see a few bits in the game they'd want to change, for example it wasn't particularly obvious that you could transfer items between characters in the menu. Also, there were a few stupid bits where it wasn't obvious that you could climb onto an object or sidle through a tight gap etc. and the NPC help was pretty much non-existent in these situations. So what I'm basically saying is that accessibility doesn't necessarily mean dumbing down, just better implementing the help and menu systems etc.

Anyway, it's a quality game and was well worth the £3 I paid in Gamestation for it!

• 1 year later...

Uh-oh :/

Sad news which broke last night. Luckily, I was already drinking vodka. Via the medium of twitter, Colin Solal Cardo of Gamesyde posted: “I got confirmation at Cologne’s Gamescom that Beyond Good & Evil 2 is on hold for now. No idea if it’s def or temporary but it sucks.” It does, indeed, suck. 1UP bring up an old Ubisoft quote that it was never certain anyway. I suspect worldwide recession hasn’t exactly helped a marginal game like BG&E.

Link