Beyond Good and Evil 2

ianinthefuture

I can't say I'm surprised. Given the cost of HD development I doubt it would ever see its investment back given what a huge flop the first game was. It's too much of a risk.

The sad thing is, they didn't even need it to be HD. They could've kept the cartoony graphical style, thus lowering their costs/development time, and released it on all platforms, instead of just the HD platforms.

bgae_peyj.jpgbeyond-good-evil-2-unofficial-title-20080528004813821.jpg

"' 'kinell! THAT'S how I look in HD?!"

:lol:

The sad thing is, they didn't even need it to be HD. They could've kept the cartoony graphical style, thus lowering their costs/development time, and released it on all platforms, instead of just the HD platforms.

So true. The PC version of the original is astonishingly pretty, even now (if astonishingly poorly optimised, even now).

Tits :(

Did the original Beyond Good and Evil even make back its costs on the PS2/XBOX/Gamecube though? From what I remember the game was a complete and utter failure at retail. While something like Sands Of Time had an initial mediocre performance, word of mouth and discounts eventually pushed it to a respectable number. I don't believe that ever happened with BG&E. I'm surprised the sequel ever got greenlit in the first place. It seems like a Shenmue situation to me; a small devoted following will keep kicking up a fuss but in reality it's just money down the drain.

"' 'kinell! THAT'S how I look in HD?!"

I never really understood the whole "oh no! It's realistic thing". I mean i was thankful we got a sequel anyhow but now that i see that little example well...

...we are never going to get a game with such a style ever again are we? :(

• 9 months later...
Ubisoft has dismissed suggestions that Michel Ancel has left the company, confirming that Beyond Good & Evil 2 is still in development.

Word of the Rayman creator's supposed departure appeared on the internet last week. It was said that Ancel had left to set up his own studio, and that the BG&E2 project had been cancelled as a result.

But a Ubisoft representative told Eurogamer, "There are no changes on the horizon."

When asked if that means Ancel is still at Ubi and that BG&E2 is still in development, the representative replied, "Yes."

It's been two years since the sequel was first announced, and since then there's been nothing more to see than the original teaser trailer. Here's hoping more is revealed soon

E3, bitches. Mark it down.

• 1 year later...

Ancel says it's very far along and not for this current gen.

Cafe release!!!!

'Not for this current gen' means no Café either, surely? If the currently rumoured specs are true it'll be more powerful than the 360 or PS3 but hardly next-gen...

Cool, they can just release it on PC seeing as it's about two generations ahead of the current consoles (trollface.jpg)

In all seriousness, he must be talking about cafe because there are no nextbox/ps4 dev kits out there. Unless they are actually developing it on top-end PCs with a view to porting it when the new consoles hit.

I feel slightly put out that after buying BGE for about the fourth time on XBL they've not rewarded my repeat business by sorting this out ASAP.

Cool, they can just release it on PC seeing as it's about two generations ahead of the current consoles (trollface.jpg)

In all seriousness, he must be talking about cafe because there are no nextbox/ps4 dev kits out there. Unless they are actually developing it on top-end PCs with a view to porting it when the new consoles hit.

Just because we've not heard about them doesn't mean there aren't devkits out yet; high-ups in some developers had devkits for the next-gen PSP thingy for close to a year before anyone outside heard about them, never mind before they were confirmed.

Just because we've not heard about them doesn't mean there aren't devkits out yet; high-ups in some developers had devkits for the next-gen PSP thingy for close to a year before anyone outside heard about them, never mind before they were confirmed.

Yeah, but MS only hired a team to build it a few months ago :D

It doesn't really matter. You just tell the devs what will likely be in a new console, they start to build the game. It's not like they're going to need much more to lay down groundwork etc. Cept cash.

• 10 months later...

It lives! Ancel once again confirms Beyond Good and Evil 2 for the next-generation consoles:

“We are in an active creation stage and at this moment we are only focusing on the game and making it the best game that we can,” Ancel said in a

from the Toulouse Game Show, as translated by Neogaf members.

Ancel wouldn’t say what platform the game might eventually release on, reiterating that the game will need the grunt of next-generation hardware.

“That decision would just distract us from that objective. I can say that it’s a very ambitious game and we need some tech to achieve that ambition,” he said.

“We focus on the game. We create it first, then we’ll see what can run it. We don’t say 2013 because we don’t know when it will come. We’re working to create a great game and it needs more tech,” the developer said.

• 1 year later...