Fringe - new show from Lost creator, J.J. Abrams

Despite loving this to fuck from the start, we didn't watch the last series at all. Better to leave it that way? It all sounded so fucked up and miles away from how things seemed to be panning out before the initial uncertainty happened. Christ, I hate US TV for that sort of shit :(

I was fine with the setting changing and I'm happy to see programmes taking risks, I just think the actual ending they went for didn't make sense. I don't want to spoil it for you though, so just go ahead and watch it!

• 7 years later...

The missus and I started re-watching this a couple of weeks ago and we were both surprised at how well it still holds up. We’ve just finished Season 2 and watched a handful of S3 eps, apart from a (very) few «monster of the week» episodes this is still fantastic (if shallow) entertainment. Walter Bishop is still one of my favourite characters ever!

I started watching this for the first time after this thread was bumped and have somehow watched the first 15 episodes in two days. It's good fun, isn't it?

It's hilarious how frequently it turns out that whatever horror they're investigating is based on something that Walter built or researched 20 years ago, he's beginning to seem like the biggest threat humanity has ever known. But then he smiles politely at someone and my heart melts. I suppose that's how he's gotten away with it for so long.

I think I gave this a miss the first time around because of the sour taste left by Lost. Does this turn out the same way?

6 minutes ago, PK said:

I think I gave this a miss the first time around because of the sour taste left by Lost. Does this turn out the same way?

Nope. It was clearly made up as it went along, like most shows, but it did a good job of pulling things together by the end. Outside of the series long mysteries, each season kind of did its own thing too, drawing to satisfying conclusions of their own.

7 hours ago, Mogster said:

Nope. It was clearly made up as it went along, like most shows, but it did a good job of pulling things together by the end. Outside of the series long mysteries, each season kind of did its own thing too, drawing to satisfying conclusions of their own.

I'm convinced the Leonard Nimoy character was meant to originally be an alternate Walter Bishop, but JJ then developed a friendship with Nimoy via Star Trek and cast him instead, forcing a change of plans.

9 hours ago, PK said:

I started watching this for the first time after this thread was bumped and have somehow watched the first 15 episodes in two days. It's good fun, isn't it?

It's hilarious how frequently it turns out that whatever horror they're investigating is based on something that Walter built or researched 20 years ago, he's beginning to seem like the biggest threat humanity has ever known. But then he smiles politely at someone and my heart melts. I suppose that's how he's gotten away with it for so long.

No but it does actually have two equally appropriate ending from both series 4 and series 5 (they got renewed by surprise and so the last series spins off in an entirely new direction).

I think they probably should have left it at season 4 as it rounds off the series mythos much better

57 minutes ago, IcEBuRN said:

I can't remember. Can I just skip the first season, I don't remember like it that much (not a fan of monster of the week crap).

The monster of the week stuff is fun, and it does introduce some stuff that leads into larger arcs. Especially as it approaches the end of the season.

51 minutes ago, dreamylittledream said:

No but it does actually have two equally appropriate ending from both series 4 and series 5 (they got renewed by surprise and so the last series spins off in an entirely new direction).

I think they probably should have left it at season 4 as it rounds off the series mythos much better

I forgot about the multiple cancellations. As I recall, it was looking like it wouldn't even get a fourth season, and season 3 finishes with an ending of sorts as a result. 

I like season 5 though. It's short and to the point, and takes the show in yet another interesting direction to bring things to a proper close.

Yeah it was a bubble show from season 2 onwards

I did enjoy season 5 and it told a neat story in its own right, but that interpretation of what The Observers were up to is really out of left field from the preceding 4 seasons and to me the central conceit was the 

Spoiler

mirror world

and they wrapped that plotline up with season 4

16 hours ago, drmick said:

I'm convinced the Leonard Nimoy character was meant to originally be an alternate Walter Bishop, but JJ then developed a friendship with Nimoy via Star Trek and cast him instead, forcing a change of plans.

Yes! That's what I thought they were building up to at the end of season 1, a sort of Bioshock Infinite situation where Good Walter's son dies in a car crash, so he steals Bad Walter's son as a replacement. And then we'd have But who's the real Good Walter hmmmm? for a couple of seasons.

I've just had an episode where it turned out Walter had pieces of his brain removed to hide the formula for an interdimensional door, so it's not like the story they actually went for is boring!

18 hours ago, drmick said:

A Walternate, you might say. :ph34r:

Because they're fucking brilliant. And I'll take any excuse to see them. True story: as a child, I thought the entire inside was hollow and full of luxurious amenities.

It's also probably because them not being used today can be seen as an occurrence of a capricious fate that could have easily gone either way. As opposed to an utterly inevitable failure.

Just finished season 2. 

Spoiler

I want to see this Fringe:

image.png.3467eb275d45b745f755c86faed7614b.png

So from that show's perspective - our Walter smashes through the wall between universes into theirs, steals a child, and then goes back to his own. This causes 20 years of ecological disasters in their world, and regular events where the fabric of reality is ripped to pieces, killing hundreds (thousands?).

Then, after that child is finally returned home as an adult, our Walter smashes back into their universe with a team of Mutant Avengers, most of whom immediately die but not without brutally burning one of the three main characters and killing 20+ DoD agents. Walter then re-kidnaps Peter and fucks off back to his own universe having caused untold further damage to the fabric of reality?

image.png.3e372ac21681a12ceb039a7d423e0f60.png

3 hours ago, schmojo said:

Because they're fucking brilliant. And I'll take any excuse to see them. True story: as a child, I thought the entire inside was hollow and full of luxurious amenities.

Fair enough, they are quite cool. I also used to think the entire top bit was a multi-storey area you could walk around, like a cruise ship.

25 minutes ago, PK said:

Just finished season 2. 

Hide contents

I want to see this Fringe:

image.png.3467eb275d45b745f755c86faed7614b.png

Well. :D

I think by now you'll have seen some of the tweaked title sequences. I always thought they were a pretty neat idea. Also Season 3 is probably my favourite.

8 minutes ago, Mogster said:

Well. :D

I think by now you'll have seen some of the tweaked title sequences. I always thought they were a pretty neat idea. Also Season 3 is probably my favourite.

I’m still using the 

Spoiler

version as my ringtone.