Best music of 2008 so far

Escobar

Thought I'd add MGMT's Oracular Spectacular. I've listened to it three times and I love 75% of it.

Download 'Electric Feel' for your retro synth-disco fix.

Electric Feel and the next track blows ya mind.

I'd have that in my list too.

Based on my other stuff I bought and is current, I'd say Cut Copy and Earth are the ones I can see myself listening back to.

Oh, and Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds.

• 5 months later...

I think it's about time we resurrected this thread. Any additions to your albums of the year? Any changes to previous nominees given further listening?

For me albums that have stood out this year include:

The Bedlam In Goliath by The Mars Volta; Astonishing. De-loused remains my favourite album of theirs but this was a fantastic example of what the band is capable of. Tracks to sample -

, Goliath.

Vampire Weekend; Eponymous album I expect most forumites will have heard at least a snippet from. Summery, poppy, charming debut.

Alas, I Cannot Swim by Laura Marling; I :D this album. Sad, joyous, and haunting in parts. Seems to write as if she's an older woman, but sings with a delicate but assertive little voice. To sample -

For Emma, Forever Ago by Bon Iver; If anyone needs to know anything about this album it's been mentioned I don't know how many times in this thread already, and rightly so. Simply stunning.

Fleet Foxes and Sun Giant (EP) by Fleet Foxes; I bought the EP first and devoured it, over and over again until I could get the album. I heartily recommend both but if I had to choose one, the EP is a perfect collection of songs and just the right length to leave you wanting more. It seems like these songs could have been made thirty, forty, fifty years ago, perhaps due to the Beach Boys similarities that many have lazily associated the vocal harmonies with. Secretly, I believe these guys exist on their own timeline. To sample -

Med Sud I Eyrum Vid Spilum Endalaust by Sigur Rós; A bit different from some of their previous work and I believe has split opinions somewhat. I think it's great fun though.

Stay Positive by The Hold Steady; First I've bought of this band, although I reckon I'll be picking up some of their previous now.

The Hawk Is Howling by Mogwai; Another first for me. If I play

in the morning I have the hook in my head all day long. No bad thing.

Dear Science by Tv On The Radio; A few different sounds on this album. I'd love to know what goes on inside this band's head. No matter what (seemingly random) direction they take, they make it work. To sample - Golden Age, Red Dress.

Friday Night Lights by Attic Lights; Lovely pop album. Grating for some perhaps, but I think it's great. Sing-along choruses and vocal harmonies. Try Wendy on for size, should be a good barometer.

In Ear Park by Department Of Eagles; I hadn't heard of this band until recently, but when I checked them out found I recognised No One Does It, perhaps from an advert? Very distinctive sound, but most probably a marmite band.

Albums I bought that were good but didn't quite make it:

Lupe Fiasco's The Cool by Lupe Fiasco; Good but not so much as his first. Some fantastic sounds however.

Neptune by The Duke Spirit; See above. More of the same, it's alright...

Attack & Release by The Black Keys; Two or three great tunes with some filler. A first for me and I expected a little better.

In The Future by Black Mountain; I like this, I simply haven't given it enough spins to put it Up There. I adore Queens Will Play.

Only By The Night by Kings Of Leon; Again, need to listen a few more times. I put off buying it because it was getting played where I work for a while, where it just served as background noise for me. Although it's very different from the rest of their material the opener Closer instantly became my favourite song of theirs.

I've realised from reading old posts in this thread and some Listmania recommendations on Amazon, that there's so much great music that's passed me by! I'm really looking forward to following the trail I've been led down by Shearwater and The Dodos. Hopefully I'll find some other gems thanks to you guys as well.

It's been a great year! Apart from Burial's DJ Kicks being forever delayed...

I've loved all of these albums - they're all on my most-listened-to playlist:

Portishead - Third

Grace Jones - Hurricane

Friendly Fires - Friendly Fires

Operator Please - Yes Yes Vindictive

Cut Copy - In Ghost Colours

Clark - Turning Dragon

Bohren & Der Club Of Gore - Dolores

Bloc Party - Intimacy

Max Richter - 24 Postcards In Full Colour

M83 - Saturday, Youth

We Are Scientists - Brain Thrust Mastery

Flying Lotus - Los Angeles

Would anyone be interested if I repeated the list thread and compiled a best-of for 2008?

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?showtopic=175106

It's been a great year! Apart from Burial's DJ Kicks being forever delayed...

Would anyone be interested if I repeated the list thread and compiled a best-of for 2008?

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?showtopic=175106

Yeah, that'd be great it you could compile another best-of. I predict a keenly fought Bon Iver victory.

Agree that it's been a good year for music, lots of stuff I've enjoyed in 2008.

For me:

Venetian Snares - Detrimentalist

Not the most original Snares album but no less decent for it. Rave it up.

Stereolab - Chemical Chords

Approaching a return to form, they tried some new composition technique, apparently, much better than the last couple of albums, thankfully.

Lone - Lemurian

Really lush wonky hip-hop, like Boards Of Canada putting on the heavy. Can't stop listening to this.

and on a similar note

Heralds Of Change - Puzzles EP

Similarly wonky sounds.

Peter Broderick - Float (for the piano lover)

Have you heard his latest album "Home"? It's really lovely, although a style shift from the piano to acoustic guitar. It reminds me a fair bit of the Bon Iver album actually, definitely worth picking up.

Opeth - Watershed

The Mars Volta - The Bedlam in Goliath

Boris - Smile

M83 - Saturday, Youth

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!

That's about it. I still haven't heard The Hawk Is Howling by Mogwai or Enviroments 2 by The Future Sound of London yet, so those two could go into the list at some point.

Stuff I bought and enjoyed from 2008:

Metro Area - Fabric 43

Kool DJ Dust - The Disco Opera

Ezekiel Honig - Surfaces of a Broken Marching Band

Morgan Geist - Double Night Time

Lindstrom - Where You Go I Go Too

Cut Copy - In Ghost Colours

Sebastien Tellier - Sexuality

Kelley Polar - I Need You to Hold On While the Sky Is Falling

I quite enjoyed 'Hearts on Fire' but found a lot of the rest of the album to be too indie guitar based for my fragile indie guitar hating ears.

I can only pick out tracks I have liked I reckon, and those would be Frankie Knuckles remix of Hercules & Love Affair - 'Blind' and Fred Falke's remix if The Whitest Boy Alive - 'Golden Cage'. Also I really enjoyed Danny Byrd's output this year, including the jungle banger 'Shockout'.

This thread has made me realise I only buy old music.

Albums

Yimino - Bulbuss

Sten - The Essence

Santogold - Santogold

Leila - Blood, Looms And Blooms

The Advisory Circle - Other Channels

Andy Stott - Unknown Exception

Annie - Don't Stop

Claro Intelecto - Metanarrative

Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark - Architecture & Morality & More

Individual Tracks

Beach House - Used To Be

Stereolab - Neon Beanbag

Tilly and the wall - Beat Control

Belbury Poly - The Hidden Door

Woman - Black Rice

Au Revoir Simone - Oh! You Pretty Things

Sally Shapiro - Jackie Jackie (Spend This Winter With Me)

Quiet Village - Utopia

Neon Neon - I Lust You

Morgan Geist [ft. Jeremy Greenspan] - The Shore & City Of Smoke And Flame

Brother Typewriter - Floating Off the Coast of Lowestoft

Mrs Jynx - Time Missed

Luke Abbott - Melody 120

Lawrence - Shipwrecked

Junior Boys - No Kinda Man (Body Language Exclusive Track)

LJ Kruzer - Huba (Plaid's 15 Years Lost Remix) :(

Harmonic 313 - EP 1

Sam Taylor-Wood Produced By Pet Shop Boys - I'm In Love With A German Film Star

Quite a lot of good stuff, my top ten is probably something like this:

Why? - Alopecia

TV on the Radio - Dear Science

No Age - Nouns

Silver Jews - Lookout Mountain, Lookout Sea

Sigur Ros - Með Suð í Eyrum Við Spilum Endalaust

Of Montreal - Skeletal Lamping

Hold Steady - Stay Positive

Okkervil River - The Stand-Ins

Mogwai - The Hawk is Howling

Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles

Not to mention Gang Gang Dance, Metallica, Portishead, Bryne and Eno, Malkmus, Euros Childs, Subtle, Blitzen Trapper, dEUS, NiN, Wolf Parade, Death Cab, Slipknot, Bound Stems, Q-Tip, Drive-By Truckers, Boston Spaceships...

Good year :(

Pretty shifty year for rock and metal. In fact I'm not sure if I have listened to that much 2008 music more than a few times. The new metallica was good if flawed. MGMT is excellent but lacking depth and the same with the cut copy. It's a shame the new mastodon is not out till next year.

Actually, the new cynic album is really good. A few more listens to that and that might be up there for me.

Pretty shifty year for rock and metal.

I dunno , I thought the latest Torche album was pretty good. And Smile by Boris (US or Japan version, doesn't matter) is pretty rocking.

Otherwise most of the stuff I like has been listed already but I'd like to make another mention for Nothing Is Precious Enough For Us by Death Vessel. Most beautiful record I've heard this year and deserves attention.

I've loved Portishead's album, as have many in this thread. James Blackshaw's "Litany of Echoes" blew my mind just a little, and Bonnie Prince Billy's "Lie Down in the Light" is such a warm, comfortable record. I often buy records a little behind when they're actually popular, though, so I haven't bought that many records that are from 2008. I've probably got about ten or so.

This year I have enjoyed records by Salem, Mika Miko, Gatekeeper, Ass, DJ Medhi, Guapo, James Blackshaw, Psychic Ills, Fucked Up, No Age, Q Tip, Portishead, Boris, Gang Gang Dance, Growing, Max Tundra, Heartbreak, Oneohtrix Point Never, Andy Stott, Lindstrom, Acid Mothers Temple, Gunslingers, Three 6 Mafia, Girls Aloud and Nite Jewel.