Best music of 2008 so far

Escobar

I've only bought three new albums this year. Not since owning a CD player have I bought so few albums. Out of those three the Portishead album was by far the best.

I think I need to go through this thread and get some more recommendations.

What was Eno and Byrne's Everything That Happens will Happen Today album like as I loved their last collaboration?

Hmmm, 2008 then, let's think:

The Mars Volta - The Bedlam in Goliath - fo the amount played this year it has to be top of my pile, even if Amputechture is better.

Portishead - Third - surprised at some of the lukewarm responses to this, I think it's their best album and the Rip is absolutely stunning.

Gas - Nah Und Fern - ok this is a 4cd compilation, but truly enveloping soundscapes all the same. Almost a genre unto itself.

That's all that really made a big impression this year. Biggest disappointments:

Squarepusher and Sigur Ros - Squarepusher will recover, I doubt Sigur Ros will. Both are on losing streaks as far as their last 2 albums are concerned.

What was Eno and Byrne's Everything That Happens will Happen Today album like as I loved their last collaboration?

You can listen to the whole thing here. I found it really disappointing, but then My Life in the Bush of Ghosts is a masterpiece in my opinion. Much of the new album sounds like mid-eighties Talking Heads b-sides with Eno making wibbly noises in the background.

This year I have enjoyed records by Salem, Mika Miko, Gatekeeper, Ass, DJ Medhi, Guapo, James Blackshaw, Psychic Ills, Fucked Up, No Age, Q Tip, Portishead, Boris, Gang Gang Dance, Growing, Max Tundra, Heartbreak, Oneohtrix Point Never, Andy Stott, Lindstrom, Acid Mothers Temple, Gunslingers, Three 6 Mafia, Girls Aloud and Nite Jewel.

What did Mehdi put out this year? I kinda took my eye off him. The only new thing I heard by him was his mostly enjoyable remix of 'Charlie Brown' by Ghostface. (The best remix in that series was the Yuksek one, I reckon).

What did Mehdi put out this year? I kinda took my eye off him. The only new thing I heard by him was his mostly enjoyable remix of 'Charlie Brown' by Ghostface. (The best remix in that series was the Yuksek one, I reckon).

I'm kind of cheating a bit in this thread by including anything from this year, not just 'proper' releases. My friend has some recording of a DJ set of mostly his own stuff he did earlier in the year and we've been listening to it over and over.

I'll upload it if you like. It's pretty amazing.

Liam Finn - I'll Be Lightning

First album from son of Neil (?) Finn (Crowded House). Saw him supporting The Black Keys a week or so ago. Live it comes across as some hairy wild man looping guitar and then bashing the hell out of a drum kit whilst his erstwhile partner on stage screams into a mic and plays some form of electronic harp. On CD it's sort of eclectic california indie pop (reminds me of The Magic Numbers in places and some other band in other places, sadly I can't remember the bands name so that's not very helpful)...so not what I was expecting having been blown away from him on the evening I saw him. That said, it's a cracking album and well worth a try.

I think I probably bought more music in 2008 than I thought, but I tend to randomly jump around, one week I'm into 70s prog, buying loads of old stuff - the next I'll be buying some new electro releases. By the end of the year I've no idea what is from 2008 any more.

I don't think I can trust the 'year' tag in my MP3s either.

Liam Finn - I'll Be Lightning

First album from son of Neil (?) Finn (Crowded House). Saw him supporting The Black Keys a week or so ago. Live it comes across as some hairy wild man looping guitar and then bashing the hell out of a drum kit whilst his erstwhile partner on stage screams into a mic and plays some form of electronic harp. On CD it's sort of eclectic california indie pop (reminds me of The Magic Numbers in places and some other band in other places, sadly I can't remember the bands name so that's not very helpful)...so not what I was expecting having been blown away from him on the evening I saw him. That said, it's a cracking album and well worth a try.

Yeah, I've warmed to the album a bit now, but his performance of Second Chance on Jools Holland was just completely superior to the album version in every way. If that's what all his songs are like live, it's a real shame he didn't carry that energy over to the album (and bring his former partner with him, if that's who it was on Jools Holland).

That would be appreciated, thanks. My GF's brother said Mehdi was amazing at Belgium's 'I Love Techno' festival last week. He could well have played a variation of the same set, who knows?

Did your GF's bro enjoy himself?

A few of my friends went and said it was an utter shambles. Dangerously packed- to the point of people being crushed, and full of tossers.

Glad I gave it a miss !

Award for most prolific brilliance this year has to go to Los Campesinos!

As noted upthread - before their second album of the year came out (!) - they're indie pop/twee genius with absolutely amazing self, scene or puntastic lyrics.

We have, both 2008:

Hold On Now, Youngster (12 track album)

We Are Beautiful, We Are Doomed (10 track album)

plus numerous contributions to compilations and other random b-sides.

I'd recommend any and all of it (and their 2007 EP).

Perhaps a rude question, but how can you tell if you like an album that much by listening once?

Because this sort of stuff is normally met by massive indifference or massive hate by my ears and that album just immediately had my attention and that continued through the whole album (I could do without track 8 though)