IGNORED

Evil Wii machine tells evil lies!

Capwn

What a non-story. The stupid fucking mother hasn't even seen the game and the girl isn't even sure of her own weight, so you can bet she put in the wrong details.

Good job the wii doesn't measure ugliness - the girl would have been really fucking upset with "HORSE FACED MINGER".

Saw this on TV this morning. It reeked of "We just wanna get on the nooz". "Yeah, I haven't played it... but it's really fun though! Lets you do yoga. Yeah, it's really good... Oh, but I've never played it... and this is an outrage! Should have a... warning... for parents... I suppose. Okay bye!"

Warning for parents? What, "Don't be a fucking thick cunt"?

The news on BBC 1 is well and truly fucked now except for This Week. Panorama is barely better than Tonight (with Trev McD) these days.

BBC 2, BBC News and Channel 4 are the last bastions of decent TV journalism it seems.

She stood on the Wii - no wonder it said she was overweight. :angry:

Seriously though, if you put her height and weight into a BMI calculator it comes out as '20.6 - healthy weight', she'd have to be about 8.5 stone to be overweight.

Interviewer: Could it just be a poorly calibrated machine?

Outraged mum: I don't know. I didn't see it.

So before she checked that the girl had put in the correct info, or was reading it right, she called the Beeb with her 'exclusive'?

I agree with her though. Ban this sick filth that might tell fat kids that they should lose weight. Much better they continue to play games, watch TV, and eating fucking Big Macs until they can't fit through the front door.

tony_harrison1.jpg

Saw this on TV this morning. It reeked of "We just wanna get on the nooz". "Yeah, I haven't played it... but it's really fun though! Lets you do yoga. Yeah, it's really good... Oh, but I've never played it... and this is an outrage! Should have a... warning... for parents... I suppose. Okay bye!"

Amusing.

They were probably using it on a thick carpet or something. That's known to cause discrepencies. Or.. maybe.. their kid is just fat?

I know people who won't buy Wii Fit because they're worried it will tell their kids they are obese (they know they have fat kids and don't want to be reminded of it).

It's the people who don't want to upset their kids so they tell them they're not overweight even though they blatantly need to go on a diet.

Amusing.

They were probably using it on a thick carpet or something. That's known to cause discrepencies. Or.. maybe.. their kid is just fat?

No, it's because BMI doesn't work for developing children or even any adult that is vaguely muscular. It's nothing to do with Nintendo - it's the system they use. And it is the best system around for an automated calculation - it tends to work because the only people who looks up their BMI knows they're overweight already. But that built-in filter doesn't work when it's put into a fun game, so its flaws are exposed to a lot of people that wouldn't otherwise have come in contact with BMI to find out its problems.

It's very, very well-known fact and whilst it is harsh to blame Nintendo for it they probably should have made it extremely clear it isn't always a fair system.

No, it's because BMI doesn't work for developing children or even any adult that is vaguely muscular. It's nothing to do with Nintendo - it's the system they use. And it is the best system around for an automated calculation - it tends to work because the only people who looks up their BMI knows they're overweight already. But that built-in filter doesn't work when it's put into a fun game, so its flaws are exposed to a lot of people that wouldn't otherwise have come in contact with BMI to find out its problems.

It's very, very well-known fact and whilst it is harsh to blame Nintendo for it they probably should have made it extremely clear it isn't always a fair system.

There's nothing wrong with BMI if you put her stats in properly -

if you put her height and weight into a BMI calculator it comes out as '20.6 - healthy weight', she'd have to be about 8.5 stone to be overweight.

There's nothing wrong with BMI if you put her stats in properly

It seems to work perfectly well for my 5 year old as well. It even put her fit age as 5 when she did well.

EDIT: I am surprised however that there wasn't some sort of disclaimer put in by Nintendo to avoid things like this.

Deer Nintendo

My kidz iz not fat. I sue you lots.

Yors,

Dum parent.

I can't believe the BBC didn't put her on the board again to check before they ran the story - were their researchers all bunking off?

I think the problem is that the researchers are all off fact-checking more important stories. I can't imagine they saw this piece as anything other than lightweight filler.

Although BBC Breakfast news is embarassingly tabloid at the best of times...

I think the problem is that the researchers are all off fact-checking more important stories. I can't imagine they saw this piece as anything other than lightweight filler.

Although BBC Breakfast news is embarassingly tabloid at the best of times...

It's not exactly obscure though. Just check the basic claim, which shouldn't take long. Then again, maybe they couldn't get hold of a copy of Wii Fit!

It's also amazing that Nintendo didn't just test it for themselves and say "no, she must have put her stats in wrongly" (assuming she did make this error, of course). Then again, perhaps the BBC didn't give Nintendo the full details.