The inbetweeners

PopeSmokesDope

Could this potentially go the way of The Office? Start of almost mimicking the original before branching off and becoming a success in it's own right.

Not saying that will be the case, but I remember dismissing the US remake of The Office, then finally found it a much better vehicle than the Gervais original.

Could this potentially go the way of The Office? Start of almost mimicking the original before branching off and becoming a success in it's own right.

Not saying that will be the case, but I remember dismissing the US remake of The Office, then finally found it a much better vehicle than the Gervais original.

The first two seasons are like for like remakes - but cant beat the original. When they go the other way and make Micheal likable then it becomes it own thing and pretty cool for season 3-5, then it turned to shit.

The main problem for me, like a lot of american shows is it comes across extremely fake. The way everyones looks, acts, reacts, even the lighting and camera work just looks like its trying to be more professional than it should be. The inbetweeners worked because everyone worked well together instantly, it was almost like someone had hidden cameras filming a bunch of guys. Everything about it came across as natural but that just looked over produced and over rehearsed.

The first two seasons are like for like remakes - but cant beat the original. When they go the other way and make Micheal likable then it becomes it own thing and pretty cool for season 3-5, then it turned to shit.

Only the first Office US episode is a like-for-like remake, the rest is its own show.

The cultural divide isn't a one way street when it comes to universal themes like "uncool kids in school", and there's nothing that uniquely British about the plots- kids try to buy drink when they're underage, kids skip school for a day, kid gets an uncool car etc etc. They're easily adaptable.

It's the casting that really irks me with this, and I'm glad Yobo said that about the mum - and she's just one example. In the UK series, Carly and Simon were 'secondary school fit' - not models, just slightly above average-looking who had ended up being seen as the good-looking ones in their peer-groups, Neil and Jay were just as average as any average secondary schooler, and Will was pretty perfect as a well groomed borderline toff geek. Will's mum was 'mum fit', not a supermodel as Yobo described.

The US cast though, with the exception of Jay, appear to be the same sort of actors who would normally have been cast as background characters in things like The OC or One Tree Hill where everyone could easily have been plucked from modelling agencies and then dressed to look like geeks, etc. Ergh.

I dont get who they've casted as Jay. I thought the whole point of Jay's character, is that he is by no means a bad looking lad, but because of his personality always ends up fucking up/getting it wrong/failiing with women. This is apposed to a chubby streched ginger umpa loompa the US one seems to have cast. It's not very ironic at all.

• 4 weeks later...

Aaarrgghghghghgghghghghghhhh just saw that there was a US remake on the US iTunes store.

Just watched the trailer above.

aararaggghghghhhhh!!!

Why do they keep doing this?

So, they've basically taken the jokes from Inbetweeners, Americanised where necessary, and put them into a standard US high school comedy.

So, basically just American Pie, the TV series.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

How does that work? Will arrives at the new school, makes friends and instantly decides to skive off having only just met these new people?

Not dramatically different to the UK version, the second episode was called 'Bunk'. Seemed odd there too, but in the same episode they all meet it would be even weirder.

• 1 month later...