Barfly Cambridge

Aardvark

Haven't seen a thread about this, but Barfly in Cambridge closed with zero notice last week, with the official line being that they are going to do some extensive work on the place and reopen in the autumn, but this seems unlikely.

What's especially annoying is I was going to see Melt Banana there in a couple of weeks. Hopefully the promoter can find another venue or date, otherwise I'll be really pissed off.

Haven't seen a thread about this, but Barfly in Cambridge closed with zero notice last week, with the official line being that they are going to do some extensive work on the place and reopen in the autumn, but this seems unlikely.

What's especially annoying is I was going to see Melt Banana there in a couple of weeks. Hopefully the promoter can find another venue or date, otherwise I'll be really pissed off.

In an extraordinary coincidence, the Barfly in Brighton closed with zero notice last week, with the official line being that they are going to do some extensive work on the place and reopen in the autumn!

In an extraordinary coincidence, the Barfly in Brighton closed with zero notice last week, with the official line being that they are going to do some extensive work on the place and reopen in the autumn!

The barfly bought a shit club up here in Aberdeen. I'd actually be quite happy if they closed with zero notice.

Is Barfly pretty rubbish across the UK now? The Cardiff one was never amazing or anything, but there used to be a gig on in there pretty much every night, now it's fairly slim pickings, probably having something to do with all the promoters siding with the (much better, multi-floored) Clwb Ifor Bach.

Gutted for anyone who might miss Melt-Banana over this. ;)

There was a gig at the Cambridge one pretty much every night as well, unfortunately the gig room was the small bit upstairs, and there was a giant bar downstairs that never had more than about 3 people in it.

Big thread about this here:

http://www.wereallneighbours.co.uk/idlecha...7020&page=1

"My personal feeling - It seems to me that the refurb story is a bit of a cover. Why close down without notice when there are plenty of gigs booked? A refurb of a major scale would be planned weeks if not months in advance due to planning regulations/architects/builder quotes etc. You wouldn't close the business and then start looking at that."

that's depressingly logical

Indeed it is. Chillingly so. But I am duty bound to monotonously reiterate that the official statement, which reads thus:

"As part of our on-going investment programme in our live music estate we are going to be changing the layout of the Cambridge venue. To this end we will be closing the venue with immediate effect and reopening in the autumn (date to be confirmed)."

Published by Mrs Robinson at 3:14pm on Wed 4th June 2008.

('Mrs Robinson' = staff, obv)