What are you buying?

Sigourney Beaver

I've finally done it. After many abortive attempts at "one game per month," I've finally got my head together and stopped buying anything and everything that looks half decent. Because invariably, the other half is shite. No more Escape From Bug Island, Cruis'n or Turok for me then, but I'm still buying games.

The fog has lifted. Games are virtually identical. The only differences are the characters and locations. The same stuff appears and happens in them. Crates, exploding barrels, gravity powers. Start with a shit car, upgrade it. Real-time combat that's still turn based deep down.

But if I'm still buying games, then why, considering I've outlined some of the things that make them bland and generic? The simple answer is, I'm being more selective. It feels like I'm a kid again, scouring the mags for every detail about the few titles I'm interested in so that my purchasing decision is the right one.

I've not actually paid the full asking price for a game in cash for over a month coz I've been getting rid of the tired old shite that weighed heavy on my gaming shoulders. So once I've got nothing left to trade I'll be buying at much bigger intervals and with even more care than the games I've got from trading.

So this week we have a reasonable release list and my shortlist was Family Ski, Emergency Heroes and Okami on Wii, Soul Bubbles and Cooking Guide on DS and MGS4 on PS3.

MGS4 was always an outside bet. The only one I've played was the one that was on the Xbox and it did nothing for me. I don't know any of the backstory and I'm not sure if I could stand the long cutscenes. If this was a gaming drought then I probably would've gone for it.

But it's not a gaming drought and I had Soul Bubles to choose from. I've not had a DS puzzle game since Polarium at launch and that's really what killed it off for me. It would get a few hours play and go on the shelf. Maybe I'll have a dabble when it's in a sale, which my current state of mind facilitates, but this dropped from the list.

Emergency Heroes was up next. I saw a screenshot on IGN and it looked really nice. Then I found a couple of reviews and they weren't favourable. Ubisoft have really got to stop putting out these sub par Wii games. I soon rubbed that one out.

Enter Cooking Guide. This really appealed to me when I saw the video on the Nintendo Channel. It seems the sort of thing the DS was designed for. It's just come at the wrong time for me. Again, if this was a barren patch I would get this lke a shot but it's not and finding the time to actually try out the recipies woud be tricky. Definitely interested in this though.

That leaves the big two, Okami and Family Ski. This is virtually a tie for first place. I'm interested in Okami because I feel Zelda is a little tired. I didn't like Twilight Princess and I shelved Phantom Hourglass after a couple of hours tops. So with Okami drawing comparisons I think I might go for this, to see another developer's take on the Zelda format. But edging into first place by the end of a ski pole is Family Ski. I just read the review on NTSC-UK and it sealed the deal. It seems like the core skiing experience is rock solid and despite a few shortcomings where pistes are concerned and repetious gameplay, it's going to be fun to play. If I can muster any more games to trade I'll get Okami too but I feel this will be discounted soon because it's a PS2 port and nobody will buy it again, so I may as well wait.

So this week I am buying:

Family Ski.

I know what you're saying Siggy. There was a time when I would have bought stuff like Timeshift and Haze, now I try to be a bit more selective. And having wedged out recently for Rockband helps the guilt versus games balance. Boomblox and MGS4 recently, have run out of stuff to trade as well.

Well, on order and due soon i have ArmA, Battelfield Bad Comapny and Il26.

Contemplating Ninja Gaiden 2 but i've still got games i haven't touched such as Bioshock, Tenchu, most of Crashtime. I've not played much of GRiD either despite my blurting on about the thing.

Having just built a PC i've got way to much stuff to play really.

I know what you're saying Siggy. There was a time when I would have bought stuff like Timeshift and Haze, now I try to be a bit more selective. And having wedged out recently for Rockband helps the guilt versus games balance. Boomblox and MGS4 recently, have run out of stuff to trade as well.

I have both Timeshift and Haze. Timeshift is better than Haze though, but both aren't awful IMHO.

The last of my surplus-to-requirements games went today on Family Ski and I couldn't resist Okami too. Anything I trade now must be completed.

I've got too little time to play at the moment, so have unconsciously travelled down the same road as yourself.

Okami - half finished PS2 version

Cooking Guide - maybe, but what about when I'm not hungry?

Soul Bubbles - looks like a jazzed up Super Mario Galaxy level

Emergency Heroes - Crazy Taxi?

Family Ski - maybe? but is it better than the PS1 Ape Escape mini game?

Why can't we have demos on Wii and more on DS?

matt

I need to do me one of those one-game-a-month jobbies. I've bought everything I liked the look of this year, and a lot of it has been predictably crap and I've ended up with not enough cash stranger to last me until my next loan comes through.

Now I've got enough for maybe two games? One's gotta be Brawl. The other could be Okami, or maybe The World Ends With You.

Rock Band has cleaned out the gaming coffers a bit recently, so I find myself in a similar situation. I'd planned to buy Alone In The Dark since it was announced, but the relentless negativity across the board has certainly put me off that.

I only noticed the other day that Unreal Tournament 3 sees a release for the 360 on July 4th. It's been a long time since I've played a pared-down, pure deathmatch game so I suspect that'll be the next purchase.

Indefinitely putting off getting some Rock Band drums until I've exhausted the guitaring - only just started doing the expert tour because I've been messing about with quickplay so much...

Was thinking about NG2, but I was shit at NG1. If the combat is half as fun as something like DMC4 though...

Also contemplating FFVII CC next Friday, which I'll probably get irrespective of quality because I'm mad for FFVII. Shame most RPGs I've played are crippled by mind-numbing battle mechanics. However, there are exceptions...

Now I've got enough for maybe two games? One's gotta be Brawl. The other could be Okami, or maybe The World Ends With You.

This is the most recent game I've bought, and as a hater of most RPGs I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying this. There are still some frustrating moments here and there (I'm currently failing to kill some pigs as part of a mission so I might see if I can get more PP or something before my next attempt) but it's one of the few RPGs I've played where I actually look forward to battles, rather than dreading them.

The last few months have cost me more in gaming that the whole of year before it. GTA, Rock Band and MGS. I won't be buying anything else for a while. Other than maybe a PSP for my jollys to Corfu.

I'm one of those calculating, boring people who will never by anything on impulse or if I "like the look of it", instead making a habit of reading at least three reviews beforehand, writing up several pros and cons tables and drawing up at least one colour-coded graph before I part with my £5 for that 8/10 game in the bargain bin.

On the plus side I never buy shite and find myself in the OP's predicament. Gamerankings.com is your friend.

Much to my great dismay (because I'm an utterly broke pirateer) I'll be purchasing Guitar Hero On Tour whenever it's out... not for the game, but as stated in another thread, for the hopeful onslaught of amazing homebrew that will come out as a result of the DS guitar bobber.

So yeah, in summary, it'll be a waste of money

Best thing about game-a-month people is cheapskates like me pick games up nice and cheap later on :lol:

This is what I've been noticing. I was in Gamestation today and they had the likes of Heatseeker, G1 Jockey and the rest of that early Wii stuff on 2 for £30. Had I not bought nearly all of it a year ago I would've enjoyed choosing some games.

Oh well, I'll be able to do it next year with the likes of Smash Bros.

I just pre ordered this from play-asia: The World of Golden Eggs: Nori Nori Rhythm-kei for the Wii.

I have no idea what it is, but thought it looked fun in a Rhythm Tengoku kind of way. Hope it doesn't suck!

The developer, AQ Systems are also working on the Korg DS synth thing, which I'm also getting in july.