rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Thread Owner

Fancy a scandal?

I'm sure I played a demo of this game on the Amiga CD32 back in the 90's.

It wasn't good at all.

Preview from The One back in the day here

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/images/jun...o_preview_1.jpg

and here

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/images/jun...o_preview_2.jpg

Ah god. I remember playing that demo as well. It was bloody awful. Looked like it had been drawn in Deluxe Paint by children.

I think I still have the demo disc somewhere

:lol:

Is this game supposed to be in the style of the old Resi games where they've just taken a pre-rendered (in this case stolen) background and put a 3D character on top of it?

Aye it uses a free 3D char on 2D background point & click engine. So it was all just screenshots of the games, butchered a little bit. Look at the engine's forum banner

Incidentally, it's the same UK publisher that did Pathologic.

I fucking love how they basically just played some games, hammered the print screen key, and had their environments. What makes it even better is the fact that they don't appear to have used a particularly powerful PC for this capturing. If they're going to just lift their levels from a load of different games, you'd think they'd spend 1500 quid on a decent PC!

NeoGAF thread is here and makes for I think the fullest list so far of borrowed work, including quite bizarrely a WETA bust of a Nazgul. I hope people get their copies soon so the internet detectives can really go to town on it.

Oh man, I really hope they put them behind bars. I hate it when people do such things.

NeoGAF thread is here and makes for I think the fullest list so far of borrowed work, including quite bizarrely a WETA bust of a Nazgul. I hope people get their copies soon so the internet detectives can really go to town on it.

I was reading up on that last night - turns out the bloke is some kind of poker champion and put his winnings into 3 years development on the game. It's crazy that the game is flying off the shelves due to all this controversy though...

http://pc.gamezone.com/gamesell/p29203.htm

Feature

* State of the art graphics

* Immersive (being there) sound effects

* Full musical score

* Devious Puzzles

* Play and Reveal storyline

* Each Level feels different in play

* Spectator gameplay - You do not control the main character, you ask him to do certain actions, actions that sometimes he will or will not do.

* Over 30 NPC characters to talk with.

* 6 levels of logical devious puzzles.

* Original storyline

* Hours of dialogue with 100% lip synched 3D models.

* 100% mouse driven, with optional keyboard shortcuts.

* Save your game anywhere at anytime.

* No dying, action sequences or sliding puzzles.

* Spectator gameplay - You do not control the main character, you ask him to do certain actions, actions that sometimes he will or will not do.

I love this one. Good excuse for having lots of identikit 'OI WISH OI COULD DO DAT' responses any time you try to do anything other than the pre-ordained solution. :(

I like that one. They made a game with such poor gameplay they pretend it was an intended feature. Nice one, homeboys.

I haven't read a list of features like that in about 15 years.

I like that one. They made a game with such poor gameplay they pretend it was an intended feature. Nice one, homeboys.

Have you never played a point-and-click before? :(

Have you never played a point-and-click before? :(

Aye but I don't recall Lucasarts splashing quotes on the box saying "DUMB CHARACTER FEATURE: Guybrush won't do stuff sometimes!!!!!"

I was reading up on that last night - turns out the bloke is some kind of poker champion and put his winnings into 3 years development on the game. It's crazy that the game is flying off the shelves due to all this controversy though...

This is unconfirmed. There is a Steve Bovis, who has about 240k (dollars, which is about £12.73 in English moneys) in tournament poker winnings since 2004. Link.

Here's a bigger picture of him, sitting behind generic small buy-in poker tournament winner's trophy #12.

IceManBovis.jpg

I'm not entirely convinced that he is one of these guys (I'm not sure which one is the Steve Bovis we're concerned with):

PD1403578_l.jpg

EDIT: Also, he'd have had to have lost an awful amount of weight since the poker photo was taken.

Pointer hovers over a stone coffin. Caption next to pointer reads "A stone coffin". Player uses the Look function to see if his character can gleen any more information out of it.

Character says "It's a stone coffin."

:(

Someone should make some sort of post-modern adventure game when 'examining' any item results in the character just saying what the item is in exactly the same way as the item tag says it.

I love this one. Good excuse for having lots of identikit 'OI WISH OI COULD DO DAT' responses any time you try to do anything other than the pre-ordained solution. :(

"No can do, fatty!"

I reckon what happened was this: These guys are young in the early 90s and are working on their game. Like a lot of games back then, they had no particular qualms with stealing a lot of material from other sources (I seem to remember reading that the original Duke Nukem platform games were full of stolen bitmaps for instance). But the project falls apart for whatever reason (probably just that the game is shit). Then, a decade later Steve Bovis wins a poker tournament and comes into some money. He thinks - hey, now we can finally finish that game we were working on when we were kids! So he rounds the old gang back together and they get back to work. However, they've been out of the videogames loop for that whole time and have failed to realise that the industry is now way more professional, and with the internet there's no way they can get away with that shit anymore. So they make up their shit game to 1994 standards and don't expect anyone to notice.

You know, I was reading the Haze review in Games and thought exactly the same thing when I read the bit about one of the effects of the drug, Nectar, to be that the soldiers 'can't see corpses and gore'. No, thinks I, you mean you can't be arsed making dead bodies and bloodstains persist in the game world, you devious gimps. Even with a humungous budget that would keep an indie developer going for a decade.

So, not just 'Trotter Gaming Enterprises'-stylee devcos that do this, eh?

[Edit: about haze] Probably just me being cynical, but that was my first reaction. I'm sure you can still trip over corpses, even if you can't see 'em. If you've bought the game, let me know, m'kay. Actually, trip over? If it's like your average 1ps they'll be impassible barriers to progress that have to be slid around because you obviously can't step over obstacles higher than a nanometre.