IGNORED

Diablo III - Eternal Collection out on Switch

revlob

Been playing this all week, fucking brilliant stuff. Never played a dungeon crawler before and i love it, the sum is definitely bigger then the parts. Kinda reminds me how i felt about PSO when i got into that. Bloody lovely.

I've got a lvl 26 monk but i think im gonna start a new run tonight, if anyone fancies it im on all night add me, clarky75#2798

9/10 for me.

Edit: And i love how the character classes are not just the standard types we've always had since gaunlet, its really tough deciding who to pick!

Where is the guest pass supposed to be? I don't think I got one, which sucks, I've got a mate waiting on mine.

(I ordered the standard edition from Amazon)

They are just on some cards loose inside the box.

What level can you expect to be once you've played through the single player campaign?

30ish

Been playing this all week, fucking brilliant stuff. Never played a dungeon crawler before and i love it, the sum is definitely bigger then the parts. Kinda reminds me how i felt about PSO when i got into that. Bloody lovely.

I've got a lvl 26 monk but i think im gonna start a new run tonight, if anyone fancies it im on all night add me, clarky75#2798

9/10 for me.

Edit: And i love how the character classes are not just the standard types we've always had since gaunlet, its really tough deciding who to pick!

Give us a shout once you hit lvl 10ish! I have a new wizard who wants to do some stomping. For now my monk's off to the desert.

Whenever those loot goblins show up, it's this all over again:

In-game lore suggests these little gold-spewing buggers warp in from some secret loot dimension. Wonder if it's possible to step into those portals they conjure up when they're trying to escape and end up in an RNG shangri-la?

Finished act 1 on my monk and managed to mop up most of the achievements, but missed a few so will look forward to grabbing those as I go through on my barbarian.

Mechamonkey: sorry I dropped game earlier but I'm trying to take it slow and read everything and you seemed intent on skipping quests and running off on your own!

Holy shit. Has anyone found

Faud The Cannibal

in the desert in Act 2? I cannot kill the fucker.

I went in a tried him a couple of times but had to bail. Came out and seriously re-thought my build then tried again and emerged victorious. I think he regenerates health when he hits you, so whatever you have at your disposal to deal huge damage, freeze, keep at bay, or otherwise impede his ability to get to you before you've finished him off is the way.

As for how to finish the game already - don't do anything else other than sleep and go to work. If you can avoid the work part it's even better. I didn't hammer through it either - I explored every inch of every area (that's just in my nature), but I never replayed any areas or did any grinding. I found the game to be perfectly paced and balanced in difficulty to allow me to simply move through from chapter to chapter. I did it in almost exactly 25.5 hours.

Finally got it! Was Argos in Catford which was 40mins away. Left and it was 1hr until it closed and halfway there it was 15mins til it closed and I was 10mins away in traffic still.

I ended up parking the car and RUNNING to Argos. Running along with my phone in hand as the sat nav. As the rain started to fall on me, running through this shitty highstreet market, I started thinking to myself "what the hell am I doing? I'm 31 years old for christ sake".

But I made it, bitches!

EDIT: On a sour note though, 10 mins in and it's at 6% installed. This "superdrive" is the slowest thing I've ever known. It'll be completed by the time Max Payne arrives tomorrow!

I finished it this morning with 26.5 hours on the clock :P

But at least 5 of those hours are idling in towns, probably would have done it in 15-20 hours.

About the edge review, slightly disappointed they didnt 10 it. Disregarding WoW for just a second, Diablo 3 has been the most satisfying videogame experience Ive gone through since Half-Life 2.

I ended up parking the car and RUNNING to Argos. Running along with my phone in hand as the sat nav. As the rain started to fall on me, running through this shitty highstreet market, I started thinking to myself "what the hell am I doing? I'm 31 years old for christ sake".

The joy of being a gamer well into adulthood, mate. :)

Oh man I just found a guy selling vanishing dye. Which means I can look like a badass WongFeiHung wannabe despite being kitted out in stupuid looking helmet etc

nuck.jpg

Badass! Nice bit of multiplayer earlier mate. Hopefully we can get some more on next week.

Theres so much to do in this game, that despite playing pretty much non-stop for the last 2-3 days, feels like only the surface. Levelling alts to make use of any non-usable early yellows at the moment, yet just as much want to concentrate on the main (Wizard).

I must say I'm really surprised at the amount of people who still think that "Online Only" is some kind of coding mistake or bug that's come with a poor launch. I thought it was made clear ages ago that D3 would require an internet connection, and that the main reason for this was because of the Auction House and real money transactions.

I think people are not used to lag in single player.

Was playing with a few Rllmukers earlier and had some fun slaying his boniness. Thanks for the loot guys.

So it doesn't differentiate between single and multiplayer in how you complete stuff? I was playing single player for the first 3 main quests. Then jumped into a random game and we ended up killing bony then when I went back to single player it had put me on the next bit. I thought I had missed out a whole chunk of quest.

Great fun though.

So will this play ok on a 2009 mac book pro? More importantly ok via keyboard and touchpad? (unless I can do some xbox controller gubbins, then even better)

I have a weird compulsion to play this, even though the only game I have ever played on my mac is the free copy of portal I got.

I am playing it on a 15" MBP Mid 2009. The one with the 9600M GT and the 2.8Ghz Duo processor. Runs really nicely in full res with low settings. Not tried ramping them up yet. I haven't felt the need to bother but I might later. Its a very easy going game for specs as WOW was. I'm using a proper mouse though. I don't think you would be able to play it on touch pad.

Finished act 1 on my monk and managed to mop up most of the achievements, but missed a few so will look forward to grabbing those as I go through on my barbarian.

Mechamonkey: sorry I dropped game earlier but I'm trying to take it slow and read everything and you seemed intent on skipping quests and running off on your own!

Eeep! sorry! wish you'd said something :blush: Must have been the barbarian induced killing frenzy!

Okay Here's my thoughts on the game. I'll not bother going on about the whole always-online connection and its problems and stuff, but i don't like the shoehorning of WoW's whole Ah + Online aspects into the game.

The actual game though when you look beyond the whole online always on thing, is on the whole fairly decent. at least to begin with. I can't knock the presentation. It looks really stunning throughout The top down view has enabled the art team to use a shit load of smoke and mirrors when it comes to geometry not actually being geometry, and just being painted textures. I don't mind this at all, Everything from the painted billboard tree tops and underground roots, to cliffs, all look superb. The interface is nice and slick too. it's all full of really nice touches. The cut-scene CGI again is mostly wonderful apart from one really dodgy walk cycle on Leah is faultless.

The music is wonderful, and the sound effects of the abilities are really meaty. Plus there are some great touches with the Witch Doctor and his toad spell. Voice acting is a bit of a mixed bag. Everyone (apart from blizzard) knows that fantasy benefits from English (or european)accents. I personally find the US accented voice actors they've used to be fairly average. Decards false old man voice is awful. The male Witch Doctor and male monk on the other hand are fantastic.

There are problems though, they've set the game difficulty really low. not one boss caused me problems, people saying "but they unlock when you complete the game!" sorry that doesn't cut it. I don't want to have to complete the game 10+ times with each class just to see all the abilities and for it to be a challenge. Selectable difficulties from the off should have been standard. There's no real excuse for it - and "it would have taken longer to tune more difficulties for lower levels" doesn't cut it either. Just look what happens when you play coop - the monsters become stronger. so the difficulty scaling is there.

Inventory management is another gripe. Dungeon Siege had Pack Mules, Torchlight had the cat/dog. Diablo has a Portal Spell which you end up using far too much. I should be able to load up a mule / npc / dog / cat / moose whatever and not have to be taken out of the action.

While i'm talking about Inventory. What purpose does Identifying Items have other than taking a couple of seconds to press "identify" ? at least need a scroll or something like in Torchlight. Identification is just a waste of time as far as i can tell.

Scale

Diablo3 is small. Not only is it small, but the scope for random procedural dungeons and stuff is really small too. The tiles that they use in dungeons are that large, that you readily feel like you've seen it all before far too soon. "oh there's the half circle dungeon piece with the stairs down the side" oh here's the room with the circle on the floor with the stairs at each end down to it, and two balconies leading to rooms on the sides" I can see why they used large tiles - for the spectacle, but there's far too few of them when inserted randomly into a dungeon.

It's not just scale that's the problem, It's the linearity of the game. There are a handful of open areas in the game that you can wander around. but there's not much in them, even if you explore these areas, there may be one or two caves, which will have 2 floors be made of large identikit sections and have a gold monster in them.

I've been really disappointed with the size of the game, it's possible to complete in about 12 hours, even less i imagine. But when you've completed it, because the areas and dungeons are either too small or not varied in their random generation, it gets very samely, very fast.

The bosses (on the first run through) are fairly simple only one you really had to think on your feet (and it wasnt the last one)

in a wrap up, for the TLDR crowd

Diablo3 is a beautifully presented game with great atmosphere and sound. It's far too short on content, the random aspect of the game isn't random enough and it's far too linear. The online aspect has spoiled the game somewhat, especially when you read about people totally gaming the system by waiting in towns for 1 person to find a loot monster, to teleport to them for the kill. With no loot whores and a few friends it cam be highly entertaining way to kill a few hours. But i was hoping for more from a game that was in development for what? 8 years?

Acts 1 & 2 are nice introductions to the game. I wish that from here it took the reigns off and let you just explore random areas from a hub of some sort. Act 3 & 4 are very forced with no real breathing space and get you rigidly on a path you cant really explore and enjoy at your own pace.

i'd give it 6.5/10 -very slick. Over all too quick.

So it doesn't differentiate between single and multiplayer in how you complete stuff? I was playing single player for the first 3 main quests. Then jumped into a random game and we ended up killing bony then when I went back to single player it had put me on the next bit. I thought I had missed out a whole chunk of quest.

There is no difference other than few extra achievements for doing multiplayer stuff. Don't worry about missing stuff though as you can jump back/forward to any previous main quest step you want and you'll also get to replay it all when you get to the higher difficulty levels.

1 slightly annoying thing I discovered about multiplayer tonight is that anyone cancelling dialog or cutscenes does so for the entire group. It really should let everyone do those at their own pace.

They kept identifying rare+ items in because they thought that was part of the excitement, seeing an unknown item drop and going OOH and quickly going to your inventory to check it out. But scrolls of identification aren't fun - I played Torchlight after the D3 beta and that side of it was horrible. I'll be happy never to see a scroll of identification again.

You also don't need to complete the game 10+ times with each character for the highest difficulties, it's just normal - nightmare, something I can't remember and then inferno. It's perhaps not ideal, especially as you're right about the areas being too linear and restricted by lore/the "story", but it's still enjoyable.

Just got to Act III in Nightmare difficulty and it's starting to get a bit trickier, but not by much. It's nice to actually be able to use spells that take a second to cast or ramp up (meteor), as in normal everything was dead by then.

Yes I'll probably get a lot of negs for this, but fuck it!

My review so far -

Diablo III - 6/10

It's hardly finished but I have played through the single player on normal and through Act I on Nightmare with the Barbarian. I think I can comment on the story, graphics and set pieces.

Well the story is a load of clichéd fantasy old toot! It's very predictable, boring and awful, as is the terrible dialogue and voice actors. Games have moved on now with titles like The Witcher 1&2 and the Bioware games providing decent characterisations and plot. This just felt dated. To the extreme.

The graphics aren't that good either and the fact that the reveal videos from 2 years ago make it look better then than it does now raises some questions as to what the fuck Blizzard have actually been doing all these years.

Example -

[media=]

Barring menu/skillbar designs the old videos look more interesting. Being able to go up ladders? Gone. Dynamic animations on conversation? Gone. Elaborite animations that indroduce new enemies? Gone. Player death animations from bosses? Gone. Sharper graphics? Gone. Elaborate enemie traps? Gone. etc etc

Having said that the "click, click, click..."oooh what's that loot!", gameplay still appeals and accounts for most of the score.

Look, I'm a bit disappointed in this to be honest. I'll still keep on playing, for the co-op lulz and gear, but it's still a disappointment.

Did Blizzard fuck up or was I expecting too much, what with the 8 year development cycle?