IGNORED

Diablo III - Eternal Collection out on Switch

revlob

Almost immediately after making my previous post where I said I thought my dps might be too low, a weapon dropped that improved my dps by about ~1000 to ~1700. It wasn't even a rare item or that much higher level than my previous 1 (which was rare).

I just got kicked to menu too. Still appear to be logged in but getting all kinds of error numbers trying to resume game. Someone on my friends list appears to still be able to play. Of course the friends list might not be updating properly either.

Fuck's sake, it's just the EU servers again, I can log on to the others just fine.

GRrr.

Also, I've just been looking at the hotfixes Blizzard are releasing soon... They have nerfed some skills, but not updated the tooltips (they explicitly state the tooltips show the old values).. Wtf that is literally so fucking lazy.

Is there any "smoothing" if I (level 27) jump into someone else's (level 44) game? Or is there a tight limit on level differences?

I don't think there are any restrictions, other than you can't do the higher difficulties until youre a certain level.

This sucks, I've only had the game for two days and three times I've had problems getting into it! I don't care about online... grrrr.

Aside from that I'm loving it. Everything you do feels really satisfying, from your clicks to the graphic effects to the sounds to the mission text glowing up. I really like the sense of depth that the environments have even though they're essentially 2D planes. The additions of customisable followers and the blacksmith have added some nice extra uses for your loot (I wish there was a button to do a loot comparison with your follower's equipment).

I'm only early on but the skill system is cool, I'm already having to make choices about what to go with (I'm a Demon Hunter) and each changes the style of play. It's too easy for me on this first playthrough, I'm looking forward to a better challenge later in the game.

I've also got to give massive kudos to Blizzard about loading times and optimization. It runs on my midrange PC fine and still looks good. No loading times blows my mind, I remember Diablo 1 and 2 waiting for ages between town, now it's instant. It's absolutely brilliant.

The game is even more oozing with atmosphere with the ambient sound, little environmental touches and detail in them. Shame about the voice acting but you can't have everything.

Hurry up and work, Blizzard servers, I want back in!

Also; mad props to Bitmap, Asriel and Jack for stomping through the whole of Act 4 with me last night.. we were a blur of destruction! :D

Yeah that was mint, we proper fucked that big red guy's face up

Updating the tooltips would mean taking the servers offline, don't ask me why but that's how it is with WoW.

Not quite. Tooltip updates require a client update, the actual abilities don't because they're all calculated on the server. That was the reason why it was like this in WoW.

On to Hell mode now. Final boss on Nightmare was easier than I remember on Normal. Kill my first Hell nasties - Nightmarish Electrified Firechains Zombies. Not quite as tough as I expected but my health is already yoyoing worse than it ever did on Nightmare.

The difference between 1-handed and 2-handed weapons in a melee character confuses me. If I use a 2-handed weapon that does 45 DPS, is effectively half of what two 1-handed weapons that do 45 DPS each?

As far as i'm aware no. Each ability just does the weapon dps. If you dual wield it alternates between the two weapons so each hit would still 'use' 45 dps. You get an attack speed bonus for using 2 weapons though to compensate for the damage on them being slightly lower than a 2 handed weapon.

I explained dual wielding earlier in the thread :P

For monk weapons I use whatever is better. You don't get massive benefits from using purely fist weapons or daibos, although some have marginal benefits such as a small +spirit gen contingent. One of the later passive buffs gives you +15% dodge when using 1 handers and +spirit gen when using 2 handers. 2 handers are obviously much slower but generally hit harder - you're looking for the top end dps and damage range in both instances, though.

Dual wielding in Diablo is a bit odd. It doesn't mean you attack twice as often, though there is an attack speed benefit of about 15% from doing it, but this is the only direct benefit you get from dual weilding. It is important to note that when dual wielding, your attacks alternate between each weapon and thus your attacks are calculated with the individual weapon's stats in mind, not by combining them. This means that 2x 30dps weapons does not equal 60dps overall, but 30dps per attack made with that weapon. As a result, you want to dual wield weapons that are as close to each other in terms of net dps as possible, or you may lose gross dps as a result.

Got bored of my level 40-something monk, and tried out a wizard to level 11. Far far more fragile, and the bosses and swarms currently seem to require **movement** and **action**. Which isn't something that can be said for the same playing as a monk: stand in place, spam left mouse button attack and let mantra of healing and serenity solve all your problems (at least as far as the end of act 2 nightmare).

Todays patch was awesome, my inferno geared monk now struggles with act IV hell.

Please don't play a monk.

The difference between 1-handed and 2-handed weapons in a melee character confuses me. If I use a 2-handed weapon that does 45 DPS, is effectively half of what two 1-handed weapons that do 45 DPS each?

Nope! It doesn't work like WoW, a DW character alternates swings between their weapons, so two 45 DPS weapons vs 1 45 DPS 2H would be roughly the same. There are other things in play so the rule of thumb is a 2H is only worth using if it has roughly 15% DPS more than the average DPS of your 1Hs.

The secret level is seriously amazing in this game. It's so refreshing to just go in and clear it after slogging your way through the awful end of Act 2 with the 3 ruins bits in a row before the penultimate boss.

I like the auction house idea, but so far, I can get better gear on there (sorting by lowest buyout) than I seem to get as drops in the game, for less than 1k gold quite often. It's kind of devaluing the loot aspect as I rarely end up using anything that drops, just break it down or sell it.

I'm all set to stop using the AH for my playthrough, unless there's something I'm missing? I'm only on Act 2 on Normal (first run through).