Kill bill

polygon_monkey

I thoroughly enjoyed it (no spoilers follow).

I wasn't a huge fan of the first one: I liked the whole chopping people-up-with-swords stuff, but I missed not having the sort of stuff I loved in QT's other films. Vol. 2 supplied them: a couple of shocking / gruesome / am I watching this moments, snappy dialogue, a bit more plot.

"Bill" is in this one and is really good. I don't remember any huge action set pieces to compares with those in the first. There is some of the finest beard acting you're likely to see for some time. It's maybe a bit long: a couple of times I saw people look at their watches. Music is good (despite some idiot buggering up the sound). I think its easy to take QT for granted: even a flawed QT film has stuff you won't seee anywhere else. Maybe people won't appreciate Kill Bill as a classic in 50 years time like they will Pulp Fiction, but there's so much to love there. EVen if you were unconvinced by Vol.1 I suggest you give this one a go.

Seeing it at this "multimedia" thanks to Kerraig was fantastic, by the way. The Empire is one of my favourite cinemas anyway, but to see it packed with everyone buzzing like that was genuinely exciting. Celeb spotting: Jonathon Ross and wife, David Walliams, some bloke called something or other Murray off Radio 1 and some blonde woman who does some presenting on telly.

It's probably not your area Kerraig, but do you (or anyone else) know if the "black and white" section of Kill Bill 1 will be in colour on the uk DVD release now that the date is getting near?

I wouldn't have thought so - if it's too violent for the cinema then it's definitely too violent for the home.

"Kill Bill-Vol. 2" puts to shame doubts entertained about aesthetic strategies or structural imbalance provoked by "Kill Bill-Vol. 1." Now that the entirety of Quentin Tarantino's epic revenge melodrama is on view, "Kill Bill" emerges as a brilliant, invigorating work, one to muse over for years to come. "

In you face naysayers! ;)

Nice that they're already talking Oscars for Thurman and Carradine. Tarantino really knows how to make fallen stars rise again, doesn't he?

Jeez dude you gotta slow down. At least wait till you've seen it and make your own mind up. I've seen it twice now and I think it's destinctly average.

I liked it quite a bit more than Kerraig did, but I can't see any way it will be still mused over for years to come. Unless you're tracking down all the references and borrowings from low budget 70s films.

Incidentally, I found out in another thread that I was right: the Shogun Assassin film that they watch at some point in the film *is* the one sampled on Genius GZA's Liquid Swords album.

Jeez dude you gotta slow down. At least wait till you've seen it and make your own mind up. I've seen it twice now and I think it's destinctly average.

Yeah, I'm excited. I love Volume 1, I love the script and I'm glad the critics are raving. Of course I have to see it with my own eyes but I have very little doubt that I will be dissapointed.

Besides, aren't you the guy who said the Cold Mountain was the best film of last year? ;)

Best American movie of last year yeah.

Do you ever disagree with those critics you follow so closely?

Yes, I like Reloaded and Revolutions more than most critics, remember? :(

I have no favorite critics nor do I always agree with them. But in the case of Kill Bill, most of the critics were right imo. I think it's just plain awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

Paraphrasing from Channel Four's Teletext Films page. (Pg 310, this is taken from 311)

At Cannes this year, Tarantino will premiere the full Kill Bill film, ie: Volumes one and two, stuck together, as God intended. Tarantino kept the rights to the Japanese cut of the film, which was the original, non-split in half version, and will be showing it on the last day of Cannes. Which is nice.

In fact, a full, uncut Kill Bill could make me positively wet my knickers.

It won't make me wet my knickers, because most of Kill Bill was a boring rip-off, and GoGo's already dead :I

I love Kill Bill but actually find GoGo one of my least favourite characters in the film.

Actually I think it's less to do with the character and more to do with Chiaki Kuriyama. Her 'I'm a right crazy bird me' (don't ask why the Geordie colloquialism :D ) is getting a little tired IMO. And that bloody nose is her-uuge! :P;)

Why dead inside? I've seen far too many swordplay movies better than this to think it's the best thing since sliced sashimi

I would have to agree.

The sworplay in this film ain't that great. It's good but not great.

But for me, it's all the other elemnts combined that make Kill Bill for me.

I felt the same way about Zatoichi. Let down by the swordplay but everything else was top notch.

Paraphrasing from Channel Four's Teletext Films page. (Pg 310, this is taken from 311)

At Cannes this year, Tarantino will premiere the full Kill Bill film, ie: Volumes one and two, stuck together, as God intended. Tarantino kept the rights to the Japanese cut of the film, which was the original, non-split in half version, and will be showing it on the last day of Cannes. Which is nice.

In fact, a full, uncut Kill Bill could make me positively wet my knickers.

What do you mean he 'kept the rights'?

From what has been said on here by Kerraig I'm pretty sure he never made a full version. He's probably making one now.

It just sounds like some mixed up facts. The Japanese version is just the uncut Kill Bill 1.

As I understand it, at some point during the editing process a decision was made to split the movie into two parts. I'm guessing either the film was going to be too long or Tarantino was taking too long to assemble the film (or both). Or the decision could have been purely financial but I doubt that.

There was never a point where one country was getting the full version and the rest of the world was getting a split one.

It's pretty obvious that a full version always likely to happen at some point. Especially after the success of LOTR extended editions.