IGNORED

Dragon Age: Origins

diggler

Also, why can't I drink any of my injury cure potions when as Alastair? he has tons of wounds I need to heal and don't want to have to go back to base and rest then travel through this forest again.

Is there some special way to drink potions?

Select them from the potions segment of the radial menu and using the rb move to the character you want to use them for.

I'm about to go in there...

But then again, I really loved the Fade section.

I'm happiest in these games whenever I'm just dungeon crawling. Give me a big old ruin or some caves full of monsters to hack my way through and I'm in heaven. I always get a bit lost and bored whenever I have to run all over a world map.

Oh you'll have a whale of a time then, old chap, it's basically like going into Moria and cleaning the place out. Be sure to bring Shale along and give my love to 'mom'.

Denerim Castle spoiler talk:

Okay so first play through I decided to surrender to Ser Catherine so as to prevent more slaughter and then proceeded to break out in a great little side mission where Alistair and I got dressed up as guards and went on patrol. What I didn't know, however, was that if you choose to break the captives out, your teammates can do the following:

* Wynne & Lei - team up and disguise themselves as nuns and try and blag their way in

* Oghren and Sten - COMEDY GOLD rescue attempt

Utterly glorious. I'm almost annoyed that Bioware didn't let you have bigger groups because quite honestly, I don't like leaving any of these guys out of the party, they're all fantastic.

@Sprite - make sure you enter the code to unlock Shale, you really don't want to miss out on everyone's favourite camp, Sean Pertwee soundalike golem.

It wasn't working last night, seems they were a bit slow making two of the extras available, but it popped up today that I had purchased it so I got it downloaded :wub:

As for Fade - I quite liked it. My one criticism is that as a starting area, it being fuzzy/blurry graphically didn't really do it any favours. It might make people wonder if the whole game would run like that.

As my first proper bit of game though I did really like it :wub:

Ah crap, I lost a fair chunk when it crashed. Oh well :wub:

Oh sorry my bad re the Fade. And yes the Stone Prisoner was included in the game but yesterday the codes weren't working properly. I didn't pay extra for it, I entered the code last night and it, along with one of the other codes, kept saying invalid. Turned it on this morning and it said I had purchased them - i.e. redeemed the code :wub:

Okay so first play through I decided to surrender to Ser Catherine so as to prevent more slaughter and then proceeded to break out in a great little side mission where Alistair and I got dressed up as guards and went on patrol. What I didn't know, however, was that if you choose to break the captives out, your teammates can do the following:

* Wynne & Lei - team up and disguise themselves as nuns and try and blag their way in

Utterly glorious. I'm almost annoyed that Bioware didn't let you have bigger groups because quite honestly, I don't like leaving any of these guys out of the party, they're all fantastic.

Oh God that's brilliant. I just did it with

me and Alasdair, seducing jailors and bribing armourers

Just done the Landsmeet.

Agonised over what to do with Loghain, after beating him single combat (though I had to put the difficulty down to Easy to beat him - he was literally killing me in three hits otherwise, with my Shield Wall enabled, and I didn't have enough poultices to attrition him). Decided to execute him myself, and put Anora on the throne. Having Loghain in the Wardens will have to wait for another playthrough.

That's a wicked part of the game (and can be avoided completely if you are proficient enough to win the big fight). Looking forward to doing it differently this time.

I like Dog as damage doer but you lose a lot of conversation options having him in the team (2/3 to be precise).

Got a question that involves MEGA ENDGAME SPOILERS:

So I was an elf, right, and I chose to shag Morrigan at the end and have a DEMON CHILD with her. But Morrigan's human. And a mate of mine, who was a dwarf, did the same. Now, I can't imagine this isn't covered in the lore somewhere, but if mixed-race pregnancies are viable, where are all the half-breeds?

Just finished it.

Game of the year. More thoughts later once I've read what others have had to say in spoilertext (Ulala, I'm looking at you).

EDIT: More thoughts! Huge spoilers follow obviously.

After rescuing Anora from Howe (and killing the fucker joyously as part of my vengeance), I decided to go along with her and Alistair's wishes and back her for the throne at the Landsmeet, although Arl Eamon wanted Alistair to be king. As I believe I said earlier, I got the support of all but one of the nobles at the Landsmeet and defeated Loghain in single combat, then executed him. Anora wasn't that heartbroken, considering she was now de facto ruler of Ferelden. I firmly refused Morrigan's demon-baby offer, particularly as she was so scathing about Leliana, and she left, the bitch.

When the climactic battle of Denerim began, I took great pleasure in clearing the city of Darkspawn with the elves, dwarves, mages, and Redcliffe men at my side. I took Alistair, Leliana, and Wynne with me into the city, which was a change considering I'd been rocking a party with Alistair, Wynne, and Morrigan and had come to rely on Morrigan's spells, but I felt that true love shouldn't be separated in its darkest hour. All but 3 of the Circle mages died, and all of the dwarves were killed in the final battle with the Archdemon, but the elves and the Redcliffe men had less than 50% losses. I was the one to bring the Archdemon down, but I let Alistair take the final blow - he'd been a good friend throughout but he really wanted it, and I had Leliana to think about.

As the victory was celebrated, Anora decreed that the Arling of Amaranthine would be given to the Grey Wardens, and a monument would be built to commemorate Alistair and the other Grey Wardens who had fallen. I decided to leave to travel the world with Leliana, as had been promised, and it was a truly happy ending for the pair of us anyway. Wynne became advisor to Queen Anora, Sten left for Qunari lands again. Redcliffe prospered, and Connor was sent to the Circle; the Alienage was better off for having been rid of the Tevinter slavers, but Anora viciously quelled rioting there in the years afterwards and fed the resentment the elves still felt. The Dalish Elves were much better off after the Blight had ended, being welcome in human settlements now, and no longer as distrustful of outsiders. Orzammar fell to bickering and feuding and power struggles with a side order of religious strife and martyrdom once Harrowmont was dead (assassinated?) and the fledgling Chantry there fuelled the unrest, indirectly. Morrigan last seen in Orlais, and Zevran... well, Zevran's fucking dead because the cunt betrayed me didn't he?

All in all, just amazing. The last five hours or so were epic as all get-out. So many brilliant moments - the initial charge, getting to fight alongside everyone in my party at the Denerim gates, Riordan's attempt at taking down the Archdemon (even more badass than Duncan), god just so much.

This game is going to be an astonishingly hard act to follow for Bioware.

Had an epic session tonight, cleaned out Redcliffe of the undead hoardes and now we're crawling through the castle to find the source of this corruption. My party seems to be really well balanced now, we're all level 7/8 and I've done all the levelling manually. Morrigan and me (mage) are in the back raining down torment on the enemies and healing on our allies, while Sten and Allistair in the front both collecting and dishing out massive damage. Works very well, very rarely somebody goes down (usually a fucked up tactic and getting overwhelmed) but most fights end up with the 4 of us victorious and without serious harm. The only problem is that I run out of mana quite often, I'd like some acceleration for that. I have some potions but they're running out.

Absolutely loving this.

Had an epic session tonight, cleaned out Redcliffe of the undead hoardes and now we're crawling through the castle to find the source of this corruption. My party seems to be really well balanced now, we're all level 7/8 and I've done all the levelling manually. Morrigan and me (mage) are in the back raining down torment on the enemies and healing on our allies, while Sten and Allistair in the front both collecting and dishing out massive damage. Works very well, very rarely somebody goes down (usually a fucked up tactic and getting overwhelmed) but most fights end up with the 4 of us victorious and without serious harm. The only problem is that I run out of mana quite often, I'd like some acceleration for that. I have some potions but they're running out.

Absolutely loving this.

Have one of your mages pick up death syphon, it isn't the greatest talent on bosses but it's awesome for big trash pulls. It sucks mana from dead bodies so the more you kill the more mana you get, it's only really usefull for 1 mage though as 2 are just competing for the corpses. You could also get Leliana in for her bard song which restores mana/stamina although I'm not what the numbers are for that.

Personally I think the best line of spells for mages, other than the spirit healer spells, are the Mind Blast, Force Field, Telekinetic blades and Crushing prison The blades spell is the least usefull but even it is very useful on things like revenants and high armour mobs. Force Field and Crushing prison are spells I make sure every mage I have has. They are simply amazing spells for crowd control and can easily turn a fight, 2 mages with those spells can take 4 mobs out of fight in a matter of seconds. I usually stick forcefield on the "elite" mobs in a pull and by the time I kill the trash the elite will just be getting released.

The Glyph spells are awesome for helping to avoid being over run, stick a glyph of repulsion across a doorway and nothing will get through while your ranged kills all.

Just finished it.

Game of the year. More thoughts later once I've read what others have had to say in spoilertext (Ulala, I'm looking at you).

EDIT: More thoughts! Huge spoilers follow obviously.

After rescuing Anora from Howe (and killing the fucker joyously as part of my vengeance), I decided to go along with her and Alistair's wishes and back her for the throne at the Landsmeet, although Arl Eamon wanted Alistair to be king. As I believe I said earlier, I got the support of all but one of the nobles at the Landsmeet and defeated Loghain in single combat, then executed him. Anora wasn't that heartbroken, considering she was now de facto ruler of Ferelden. I firmly refused Morrigan's demon-baby offer, particularly as she was so scathing about Leliana, and she left, the bitch.

When the climactic battle of Denerim began, I took great pleasure in clearing the city of Darkspawn with the elves, dwarves, mages, and Redcliffe men at my side. I took Alistair, Leliana, and Wynne with me into the city, which was a change considering I'd been rocking a party with Alistair, Wynne, and Morrigan and had come to rely on Morrigan's spells, but I felt that true love shouldn't be separated in its darkest hour. All but 3 of the Circle mages died, and all of the dwarves were killed in the final battle with the Archdemon, but the elves and the Redcliffe men had less than 50% losses. I was the one to bring the Archdemon down, but I let Alistair take the final blow - he'd been a good friend throughout but he really wanted it, and I had Leliana to think about.

As the victory was celebrated, Anora decreed that the Arling of Amaranthine would be given to the Grey Wardens, and a monument would be built to commemorate Alistair and the other Grey Wardens who had fallen. I decided to leave to travel the world with Leliana, as had been promised, and it was a truly happy ending for the pair of us anyway. Wynne became advisor to Queen Anora, Sten left for Qunari lands again. Redcliffe prospered, and Connor was sent to the Circle; the Alienage was better off for having been rid of the Tevinter slavers, but Anora viciously quelled rioting there in the years afterwards and fed the resentment the elves still felt. The Dalish Elves were much better off after the Blight had ended, being welcome in human settlements now, and no longer as distrustful of outsiders. Orzammar fell to bickering and feuding and power struggles with a side order of religious strife and martyrdom once Harrowmont was dead (assassinated?) and the fledgling Chantry there fuelled the unrest, indirectly. Morrigan last seen in Orlais, and Zevran... well, Zevran's fucking dead because the cunt betrayed me didn't he?

All in all, just amazing. The last five hours or so were epic as all get-out. So many brilliant moments - the initial charge, getting to fight alongside everyone in my party at the Denerim gates, Riordan's attempt at taking down the Archdemon (even more badass than Duncan), god just so much.

This game is going to be an astonishingly hard act to follow for Bioware.

Totally agree with all of this, it's amazing how some people "cough Edge" don't get this game. it's simply tthe best thing I've played in years, only Fallout 3 can compare to it for recent RPGs imo and even then they are different types of games which you can't really compare.

A quick question for the guys that picked up the PS3 version on Friday... what are your views on the much reported frame rate dips? Are they often and bad enough to really annoy?

Oh man, I want this game so bad. I can't afford it until I get paid on Wednesday.

:(

Have one of your mages pick up death syphon, it isn't the greatest talent on bosses but it's awesome for big trash pulls. It sucks mana from dead bodies so the more you kill the more mana you get, it's only really usefull for 1 mage though as 2 are just competing for the corpses. You could also get Leliana in for her bard song which restores mana/stamina although I'm not what the numbers are for that.

Personally I think the best line of spells for mages, other than the spirit healer spells, are the Mind Blast, Force Field, Telekinetic blades and Crushing prison The blades spell is the least usefull but even it is very useful on things like revenants and high armour mobs. Force Field and Crushing prison are spells I make sure every mage I have has. They are simply amazing spells for crowd control and can easily turn a fight, 2 mages with those spells can take 4 mobs out of fight in a matter of seconds. I usually stick forcefield on the "elite" mobs in a pull and by the time I kill the trash the elite will just be getting released.

The Glyph spells are awesome for helping to avoid being over run, stick a glyph of repulsion across a doorway and nothing will get through while your ranged kills all.

The line with Horror, Sleep, and Waking Nightmare is also excellent. The sleep + horror + waking nightmare combo, in that order, firstly immobilises most of the enemy, then deals high damage to one target, then sets them all fighting amongst themselves and gives them penalties and whatnot. Just brilliant.

Totally agree with all of this, it's amazing how some people "cough Edge" don't get this game. it's simply tthe best thing I've played in years, only Fallout 3 can compare to it for recent RPGs imo and even then they are different types of games which you can't really compare.

I really liked Fallout 3 but Dragon Age is on a whole other level. I am in love with it, and I really didn't expect to be saying that a few months ago.

I finally managed to bed

Leliana. The sex scene was pretty LOLsome, but kind of charming in a silly way. She was a bit odd the next morning though. Anyway, achievement unlocked! Decided to head over to Morrigan, and it turns out she also likes me enough to suggest some sizzling campside action! In my mind, my character looks over his shoulder to see if Leliana's back is turned, then he says, "In for a penny, in for a pound!" before going conkers deep into Morrigan. Achievement unlocked. The next moring, she was quite casual about the romp.

In a way, I'm quite sad that I didn't resist the urge to hop into bed with Morrigan, as I was saving her for my second playthrough, where she was sooooo going to get banged by an angry dwarf.

:D

When

Morrigan attempted her overt seduction after I'd bedded Leliana, I told her I was a one-woman man in no uncertain terms. She was all "Can't blame a girl for trying" and "-18 approval".

I think what's needed really is some sort of

threesome with Leliana and Morrigan, don't you think? Leliana has shown something of a healthy interest in Morrigan on our travels. I actually think Leliana, despite her occasional whimsy, would be the take charge girl in the scenario, bringing Morrigan to heel.

Oh God, I'm thinking about this too much. :(

Just finished it and watch half an hour of fucking credits...

So...

thus ends the tail of a city elf who defended Fereldon against a blight. It was 47hrs between leaving the Alienage and being able to get back in to see what affect my actions had, I'd been trying to get in every time I went to Denerim, it was the first place I went after Lotheting.

I defeated Logain in combat and let Alistair kill him. Although alistair didn't want the crown in a grab for power I tried to make him king with me as queen, no one went for that so I decided on Anora.

I went with Morrigan's plan, as she points out I've got Leliana to think of and Alistair would probably fuck it up some how so best he just gets laid & leaves the demon slaying to me.

I took Leliana, Morrigan & Shale (my standard party) into the city, leaving Alistair to guard the gate, not even he could screw that up. The battle through the city was epic, the start where all your group are fighting, calling for aid from the troops you recruited, just epic. I wish they'd have done a few more large scale battles.

The stuff in the hall at the end, talking to everyone post climax, very persona-ish, before walking out to see the crowd. Strangely no Alistair, he's not king & Morrigan's ritual meant neith of us had to die... maybe he got trampled by the retreating darkspawn.

I liked the epilogue, nicely setting up various threads for the next one. Leliana stay with her love for a while anyway, for a while... For a while?! Roll on number two, I want to know what happens next.

and now for playthrough 2

I don't really understand the fatigue thing. My characters all have relatively low fatigue which can be traced back to their armour.

However, my main mage character has a whopping 11% of fatigue while the equiped armour only adds up to about 3% or so. I don't suffer from any injuries and am not under any weakness spells. Removing equipment doesn't make a change, apart from the 2 or 3% mentioned earlier.

Any ideas? Could it be the rock armour spell?

Ok, dumb question alert. I have a redeemable code for Shale, i'm trying to access the content, so I go to redeem code but it's not accepting it, I think the 360 thinks i'm trying to redeem a 25 digit Live points code, but the DA code for Shale is only 16 digits so it's not working. Am I doing it wrong? I want Shale but they can fuck if they think i'll pay 1000 odd points for it. Not that I have any points anyway. :(

Oh, oh! Do I have to do it from the main menu rather than this guy i've just bumped into in game? Will that make a difference? Ah, yep, I just spotted the redeem EA code bit. Silly Laine.

A quick question for the guys that picked up the PS3 version on Friday... what are your views on the much reported frame rate dips? Are they often and bad enough to really annoy?

The only frame rate dip I've noticed was within the opening movie. Also seen a bit of wobble at the edge of the screen in another cut scene but nothing else has caught my attention at all. All the characters have huge ugly hands too but maybe they were born that way :( and my character stolly is boss eyed :D

I'm not far enough in I think to worry too much about setting gambits - Morrigan hasn't got a healing spell yet for example - so my battle tactics thus far generally follow the line of me hitting the 'hold' button as a fight is triggered to stop my fuckwits dashing into the fray, using ranged attacks with my rogue until the baddies clash with us and then changing to melee. I tend to trigger my special talents as and when I fancy but largely flick to the others just to get them to heal when necessary and, oh, to shapeshift morrigan into her hairy arsed

spider form

. I also flick to alistair if I need him to pull aggro using one or two of his talents. That seems to work okay but is anything else I should be thinking of?