Dragon Age: Origins

diggler

Don't play as a Dalish Elf.

Other than that, have fun!

I quite enjoyed the dalish origin, especially after I visited the Dalish on my recruitment drive.

Good advice is to scroll to the bottom of merchants list to see if they have any back packs for sale and the first 2 you see at around 60 silver each, buy asap because if you miss them there is no going back.

I'm on my second play through, trying to get all the achivements now, but I cant romance Leliana.

I've done her quest, I asked her if she liked the company of woman and I even got a kiss out of her, but she just wont sleep with me. Anyone got any tips?

I'm on my second play through, trying to get all the achivements now, but I cant romance Leliana.

I've done her quest, I asked her if she liked the company of woman and I even got a kiss out of her, but she just wont sleep with me. Anyone got any tips?

A vial of Ye Oldde Rohypnol <_<

Seriously, I can only think you've not given her the right dialogue options, because Lei is easy like sunday morning. You could make a snub nosed dorf that resembles a Hobgoblin, and she'd still wax lyrical to you about how she likes to watch your eyelashes while you sleep.

Still :( her though.

I quite enjoyed the dalish origin, especially after I visited the Dalish on my recruitment drive.

It's the laziest origin, with you revisiting the same stuff more than once in the actual origin, and nothing very interesting actually happens in it. It's also almost entirely disconnected from the later game compared to every single other origin. I mean it's alright, but it's not as good as the others.

Return to Ostegar spoilers!

***Loghaine was pretty much right all along!

It's made clear that his reinforcements wouldn't have made a difference to the outcome of the battle while it's also suggested by Eamon that Anora could not bear children so he and Cailan were looking to get shot of her and arrange a marriage of convenience with the Empress of Orlais..!

Loghain's actions (the alienage slaves notwithstanding) suddenly become even more understandable.***

Well fancy that.

Return to Ostegar spoilers!

***Loghaine was pretty much right all along!

It's made clear that his reinforcements wouldn't have made a difference to the outcome of the battle while it's also suggested by Eamon that Anora could not bear children so he and Cailan were looking to get shot of her and arrange a marriage of convenience with the Empress of Orlais..!

Loghain's actions (the alienage slaves notwithstanding) suddenly become even more understandable.***

Well fancy that.

I must have known this, given that I've foolishly dumped the handy Alistair because I took pity on Loghain and now have been lumbered with the only slightly better than useless Loghain for my troubles.

I had my very first go at the arch demon last night - didn't do too badly, although I lost Wynne and Loghain early doors and it was just me and Morrigan soldiering on. Got 'arch' down to about half his health bar (although it was exceedingly clear that we wouldn't have enough health poultices to last the full fight) before a change in his tactics soon saw us off. A few tactical changes I think and hopefully another crack at it tonight.

Finally beat this last night,

with getting the "good" ending taking Morrigans deal, with Alistair and Anora becoming King and Queen. Loghain got his head chopped for being a pompous self righteous asshole.

Cant wait for the expansion now. Played a Human noble Warrior tank, left Alistair on the sidelines for most the game, with just going to camp and making everyone like me. Romanced Morrigan, so hopefully that will affect the xpac, as supposedly she's the returning character from what I've heard.

Speaking of Morrigan, found this amusing video on youtube of a mod for the PC Bitch fight! :D

I think Bioware went a bit overboard with all the decision making in this game. With something like KOTOR it's okay because generally, you've picked Sith or Jedi and it's clear which way you're going to sway things. Here it get so complex and there's so many characters that you feel like you're just getting cheated out of the game unless you want to play it through several times. Which I don't, I've got too much to play thanks to the steam sale and also thanks to ME2 being around the corner.

It's a bit of a weird complaint I know, because technically so much replay value should be a good thing but it's frustrating when you have a general idea of what you want to happen, you say the wrong thing thinking you can steer things one way and find someone throws their toys out of the pram and you have to keep reverting to earlier saves. It's largely my own fault for being a certain way when it comes to these games and not being able to just go with the flow.

I would have loved it if it was a bit more tactics based, and you didn't have to pick 3 people out of so many characters. I just neglected so many people, as I couldnt' really be bothered with endless dialogue in the campsite. It's also annoying wanting to take one character because you like their class and abilities, but missing out on off the cuff remarks from someone like Shale who really was quite entertaining to talk to. But anyway, I think it could have really set itself aside if there were perhaps slightly less abilities per character, and you had everyone at once and it was a bit like a more frantic Bioware version of Disgaea.

It's clearly the Bioware way now to let the player be in control of the story but I'm thinking it went too far in dragon age and the whole thing felt like a bit of a slog in the end. I was relieved it's over really. Imagine making a stew and you put in all of your favourite ingredients love. Theoretically it should taste awesome but you just end up making this complicated slop that's hard to digest.

It's a bit of a weird complaint I know, because technically so much replay value should be a good thing but it's frustrating when you have a general idea of what you want to happen, you say the wrong thing thinking you can steer things one way and find someone throws their toys out of the pram and you have to keep reverting to earlier saves. It's largely my own fault for being a certain way when it comes to these games and not being able to just go with the flow.

Replay value is good, as long as it doesn't detract from the first playthrough because not all people like playing the same game twice, like myself.

BioWare creates so many characters, yet it doesn't provide the proper gameplay mechanics to experience them all, unless you want to play the game again.

This is stupid and one of the reasons why BioWare games are good, but not great. (Post Kotor and JE of course).

I completely disagree and it's one of the reasons I love Bioware games which actually provide meaningful choice (which isn't all of them) and other games that use this model. The more scope there is for things to change, the more that first playthrough becomes my story, and I'm always fascinated to hear how other people experienced it differently.

I completely disagree and it's one of the reasons I love Bioware games which actually provide meaningful choice (which isn't all of them) and other games that use this model. The more scope there is for things to change, the more that first playthrough becomes my story, and I'm always fascinated to hear how other people experienced it differently.

I care more about being able to experience the whole game in my first playthrough than hearing other people's stories.

Besides, without using some characters it hurts my experience because I know I am missing on something.

I'd argue that if the experience was uniform then in this case it would be a far inferior experience. For me a lot of the appeal of games like Dragon Age comes from the choices that are made, and if these choices are in fact meaningless (allowing you to see the entire game on the first play) then the game would be far, far worse.

I know I'll never see everything Dragon Age has to offer (unless it's with the aid of YouTube or whatever) and I love that.

I care more about being able to experience the whole game in my first playthrough than hearing other people's stories.

Besides, without using some characters it hurts my experience because I know I am missing on something.

That's the Oblivion experience basically and many many other RPGs where you maybe get a few choices in quests or factions to support but no real difference in the outcome. I did everything I could find in Oblivion with the very first character I created and have never felt the urge to go back.

I'd argue that if the experience was uniform then in this case it would be a far inferior experience. For me a lot of the appeal of games like Dragon Age comes from the choices that are made, and if these choices are in fact meaningless (allowing you to see the entire game on the first play) then the game would be far, far worse.

I know I'll never see everything Dragon Age has to offer (unless it's with the aid of YouTube or whatever) and I love that.

I totally agree - The Bioshock "formula" in terms of team based game structure now seems to have been established but in my opinion playing the game through the first time knowing there is a lot more to discover simply adds to the overall experience and value of the game. Bioshock were a bit clumsy in the gamerscore design in the first ME game - it would have been more subtle to have accumulated experience of the various team members over different run throughs to enable chopping and changing - but the idea was sound- you need to play the game through multiple times to get the most from it.

With Dragon Age I defy anyone to not undertake a second play through after trying out one of the origins of human noble, dwarf noble or city elf in particular.

I'd agree with this, if the latter stages of the game didn't feel so sloppy and unfinished in terms of the story. I felt like there was an awful lot of effort in setting up what could happen, that when it came to resolving it, I just didn't feel satisfied with how it played out. BioWare make it so you get so involved with the story, which is great to start with, but then somehow it just doesn't tie up the same way leaving you feeling a bit empty. I wanted more from my ending. I'd spent a lot of time and effort with particular characters - I wanted more with them. I wanted more than a few text boxes about the choices I'd made, and I wanted more in the final cutscene I got than

fucking Anora spouting off. She was barely involved in the game until the end

In the end, it just didn't feel like my story at all. So I know why cowfields feels cheated.

Don't get me wrong I like that there are decisions, it's just that it wasn't always clear what was going to happen with the dialogue.

It's hard to play entirely in a vacuum with previews and people talking so you know there are things like relationships in it. You're supposed to give gifts and make people like you but when you accidentally say somethign to make one person dislike you without realising, or simply talking to another person puts you in the middle of an awkward love triangle, the compulsion to load to a previous save is too great for me. Especially in an RPG where it's not just about story, but about trying to boost people's stats with the plot-based bonuses.

And I don't really think giving you a ton of people to potentially play with but who actually just stand around (naked if you forget to put some armour on them like me :blink: ) in camp as if they're coming along works in the name of replay value. "Oh they're just standing there never coming along, but I'll take them out next playthrough" sort of feels cheap. If anything, it might have made more sense for who comes along to be either one person or another. A bit like at the end where you have to make that decision.

As I say it was all a bit easier in KOTOR as it was a bit more obvious: Jedi or Sith, good or evil. Even down to who you brought along, you could bring good people or evil people and that could help decide. Every party member was pretty much on the same side in Dragon Age. Often 'choices' felt a bit more like bother with this person / be rude to them / just not talk to them and some you'd do without realising.

One thing I will say is that in the past Bioware games I've played have often made the story choices come down to "KILL THEM ALL DIE DIE" or "Let's talk about this amicably" and in the latter, it often feels like you're cheating yourself out of actual gameplay. Dragon Age didn't feel like being a nice guy (or girl) would limit how many faces you get to melt, freeze or burn.

It's not a massive complaint, more an analysis. . It's still a really good game and after a while I did enjoy the combat (but I much prefer how KOTOR let you queue things up).

That's the Oblivion experience basically and many many other RPGs where you maybe get a few choices in quests or factions to support but no real difference in the outcome. I did everything I could find in Oblivion with the very first character I created and have never felt the urge to go back.

I never feel the urge to replay games I have played, especially RPGs where the main story, villains and dungeons are known.

That is why I feel I am missing on something if I don't experience almost everything in my first playthrough, especially when it comes to NPC companions.

BG should never be such an experience if there wasn't a six member party. DA's 4 just feels like a mechanic to force the player replay the game.

Anyways, those are classic BioWare design choices but they are getting pretty stale now, especially when games like Fallout 3 (and even Oblivion) have upped the RPG ante so much.

Have been plying this for 3 hours, I like it but 2 things are really bugging me.

1 - How do I attack the same enemy with all 3 team members? In Kotor it was really easy as the game paused automatically when you reached an enemy.

2 - When someone is knocked out, how do you get another member to administer a revival?

Any help would be appreciated...

Have been plying this for 3 hours, I like it but 2 things are really bugging me.

1 - How do I attack the same enemy with all 3 team members? In Kotor it was really easy as the game paused automatically when you reached an enemy.

2 - When someone is knocked out, how do you get another member to administer a revival?

Any help would be appreciated...

Two choices basically - either use tactics to stipulate that characters not controlled by you attack the target of the main character or pause the game and switch over to contol the other characters directly. The same applies with the revive spell but if you are only in the opening stages of the game you probably won't have that yet.

Then just replay the bloody thing! It's not like everything need be 100% identical bar one decision you made.

I'm sorry sound harsh but I truly find your attitude ridiculous. There are so few games worth playing really, for all the talk of "Oooooh, there's a sale on!", most are disposable and barely have enough worthwhile content to justify one playthrough, let alone several yet along comes a game that offers lots and instead of savouring it, some rush through determined to do everything in one go. It's your money an' all but it just seems stupid and I hope Bioware continue ignoring such claims instead of catering to the 100% First Go crowd.