Dragon Age: Origins

diggler

I'd agree with this, if the latter stages of the game didn't feel so sloppy and unfinished in terms of the story. I felt like there was an awful lot of effort in setting up what could happen, that when it came to resolving it, I just didn't feel satisfied with how it played out. BioWare make it so you get so involved with the story, which is great to start with, but then somehow it just doesn't tie up the same way leaving you feeling a bit empty. I wanted more from my ending. I'd spent a lot of time and effort with particular characters - I wanted more with them. I wanted more than a few text boxes about the choices I'd made, and I wanted more in the final cutscene I got than

fucking Anora spouting off. She was barely involved in the game until the end

In the end, it just didn't feel like my story at all. So I know why cowfields feels cheated.

And finished.

35hours in total.

All in all...a little bit unsatisfying. The story was really good - but combat was a let down. I imagine it's much better/more tactical on the PC though.

My biggest complaint - it's a rich varied world, but it's so hard to learn about. It would be SO easy to have a "read codex just picked up button", but on the 360 at least you had to go through a lot of button presses and then find the right one. In the end I just gave up - but I really felt I missed out.

The Origins make a fair bit of difference. I think it's because I left dwarfs/the city until the end, but there seemed to be loads of bits where I thought "hmm. I bet there's more story here if I have the right origin" - but at the same time I'm not sure how much "extra" I got from the mage ending.

And the ending - seemed anti-climatic. I expect it because there's so many possibilities, but it just felt a little "huh - so that's it".

Which brings me onto the biggest problem - me. I felt no connection to my character at all. I LOVED most of the cast, and though they were nearly all brilliant. I didn't care if I lived or died though. From the fact no one ever says my name (Grey Warden is all I ever got called ;)), to no voice, to only have single typed lines of dialogue here and there...well I just think it didn't quite work. Which was ashame, because I LOVED my Shepherd.

Think it would be a strong 8/10

I'll almost certainly get the DLC/exspansion pack...but I've no idea how it will carry on :lol:

I've yet to play a Bioware game I haven't completed at least twice, I absolutely love that about their games. It's almost scary to think how many times I may end up replaying Mass Effect 2....

On the PC version you can select all members at once by dragging a box around them or there's a button underneath the portraits that does the same. Can you not set the game up to "pause on contact" on the console versions then?

Pretty sure going to your camp heals injuries as well.

My biggest complaint - it's a rich varied world, but it's so hard to learn about. It would be SO easy to have a "read codex just picked up button", but on the 360 at least you had to go through a lot of button presses and then find the right one. In the end I just gave up - but I really felt I missed out.

Yeah, on PC you can just click on a bit where it says 'Codex Updated' and it brings you immediately to whatever codex entry you just unlocked. There's no such thing in Mass Effect, even on the PC, so the upshot is that I read far fewer codex entries in Mass Effect than in Dragon Age.

Oh one think I forgot to say - the 4 member party limit really made it a choice of utility, versus who I wanted to take.

My party was me (mage), Winn (healer), Al (tank) and Lel (for lock picking/traps).

I got a lot of nice conversation out of them - but I wish I could have tried other combos. I've no idea how I'd take Winn out though, as on the 360 where it relies on tactics more than inputs, she's the best healer. I couldn't replace Lel because I need LPing and she beats Zav hands down there.

An Al? Well I just luv him :lol:

Looking at the exspansion you can make a new characters - I might just do that and make a rogue ;)

I always had me (Human Noble Warrior Tank), Sten (2H), Wynne (Healer/buffer) and Leliana (lockpicking/disarm traps). This led to some comical conversations between Sten and the other 2, usually about his dislike of mages, women in combat and also Leliana making fun of his love of kittens and flowers :lol:

So I guess I had a good combination of party interaction and utility, plus they kicked arse in combat B)

Sten is so badass though, if a fight takes a while he'll comment "That should not have taken as long as it did!". I 1st got this when I had a random encounter with some wolves and a drake, where the drake was behind a fallen log and we had to walk around it, I didnt see it for a few mins as I was looting the wolves xD

Never really got on with the other characters that much. Even though I romanced Morrigan, I actually wanted to romance Leliana but I didnt initiate it apparently so I missed my chances, so got lumbered with Morrigan till the end even though she wasnt in my party very often, if at all.

So I guess I had a good combination of party interaction and utility, plus they kicked arse in combat B)

I don't think there's a bad combination - Winn and Al had some really good stuff - but it was a little annoying to be feeling "forced" down a route.

I'm thinking of restarting and gettingShale (Tank) and Morrigan (Mage/Heal) involved

Is it me, or do Archers suck?

Archers aren't as good as they should be because bows still don't benefit properly from dexterity - fixing this requires a rebalance of the entire game, which is why it's taking so long on Bioware's part. You can get mods on PC that make bows better but they also affect enemies and make certain encounters much, much harder, so I've avoided such mods. Archers are still potent even in their slightly gimped state, though. Arrow of slaying is lovely.

You don't need a healing mage to prosper, particularly on your second playthrough as you should know where to get infinite elfroot to make health poultices out of, now.

I don't think there's a bad combination - Winn and Al had some really good stuff - but it was a little annoying to be feeling "forced" down a route.

I'm thinking of restarting and gettingShale (Tank) and Morrigan (Mage/Heal) involved

Is it me, or do Archers suck?

I made Leliana an archer and after her personal quest she gets arguably the best bow in the game, she and Wynne could pick off mobs from miles away, sometimes before said mobs ran into melee :lol:

Just make sure your tank keeps aggro and they can wittle mobs down without fear of reprisal.

Yeah, on PC you can just click on a bit where it says 'Codex Updated' and it brings you immediately to whatever codex entry you just unlocked. There's no such thing in Mass Effect, even on the PC, so the upshot is that I read far fewer codex entries in Mass Effect than in Dragon Age.

Actually, on the 360 if you hit back while 'codex updated' is displayed it DOES take you straight to it.

Actually, on the 360 if you hit back while 'codex updated' is displayed it DOES take you straight to it.

I'm pretty sure that if you get it while a character has lvled or a quest has been updated you dont :lol:

Fortunately for me I went through everything, so I read it all, but for those with less patience they should have fixed this. Allowing you to scroll through the codex without highlighting something you havent read would have been good. They allow it with the right scroll menu but not with the left, which is a bad oversight in my opinion.

I'm pretty sure that if you get it while a character has lvled or a quest has been updated you dont :lol:

Fortunately for me I went through everything, so I read it all, but for those with less patience they should have fixed this. Allowing you to scroll through the codex without highlighting something you havent read would have been good. They allow it with the right scroll menu but not with the left, which is a bad oversight in my opinion.

Yeah you're right about that.

I noticed the exact same thing about the scrolling, odd oversight.

On the PC version you can select all members at once by dragging a box around them or there's a button underneath the portraits that does the same. Can you not set the game up to "pause on contact" on the console versions then?

Pretty sure going to your camp heals injuries as well.

On the PS3, pressing R1 and L1 at the same time speedily selects all of your team.

Injuries are healed by visiting the camp.

About 8 hours into this and feeling the love big time :lol:.

I love all the conversations that you have with so many people, the amount of choices you're given, how different characters in your party react differently to what you do. Case in point (early spoiler):

in Lothering when you go and see the revered mother about getting the big bloke in the cage freed I tried every route not to, but it seemed clear that I'd have to muscle this bitch a bit before she gave up her key. Anyway, I did it with Alistair in my party and he starts berating me about it because he's pious or whatever (which I kind of suspected would happen), so I reloaded and did the same with Morrigan in the party (and the dog) and got praised for it instead. I didn't think she'd mind me intimidating some chantry woman but was really surprised when she piped up. Got plus approval for my efforts too :)

Question: does the

Dog

become a bit obsolete as the game goes on? At the moment I've got him damage dealing up close while Alistair sucks up all the damage, but now I've freed

caged dude

, who looks like one mean motherfucker,

pooch is gonna have to prove to me he's worth something before I replace him permanently, and with no armour or shield I can't really see the point in alternating him with Alistair as my tank character either. Does he have any other role? It'll be hard cause he's cute as hell, and wuvs me very much :D.

Question: does the

Dog

become a bit obsolete as the game goes on? At the moment I've got him damage dealing up close while Alistair sucks up all the damage, but now I've freed

caged dude

, who looks like one mean motherfucker,

pooch is gonna have to prove to me he's worth something before I replace him permanently, and with no armour or shield I can't really see the point in alternating him with Alistair as my tank character either. Does he have any other role? It'll be hard cause he's cute as hell, and wuvs me very much :lol:.

I think the dog can be a pretty mean tank from what others have said on here. The downside is that if he's in your party, you're probably going to miss out on some of the more interesting incidental conversations between characters. For that reason alone, I pretty much left him out of my party quite early on.

I love all the conversations that you have with so many people, the amount of choices you're given, how different characters in your party react differently to what you do. Case in point (early spoiler):

in Lothering when you go and see the revered mother about getting the big bloke in the cage freed I tried every route not to, but it seemed clear that I'd have to muscle this bitch a bit before she gave up her key. Anyway, I did it with Alistair in my party and he starts berating me about it because he's pious or whatever (which I kind of suspected would happen), so I reloaded and did the same with Morrigan in the party (and the dog) and got praised for it instead. I didn't think she'd mind me intimidating some chantry woman but was really surprised when she piped up. Got plus approval for my efforts too :)

There is a way to do that without intimidating the priestess, just so you know. :lol:

As to the dog, basically what Fox says. The dog is great but I dropped him so as to get more banter primarily.

There is a way to do that without intimidating the priestess, just so you know. :lol:

Aye,

can you steal it? I think the caged guy mentions that when you let him out, 'You must be persuasive, or just have light fingers', or something like that.

And I'll see how it goes with the dog. Obviously he can't talk but some of the banter you get relating to him is quite funny,

Morrigan reprimanding him for eating all her herbs for example, and Leliana going on some long narrative about a dog she used to own that bit her ankles and that she kicked into the river or something.

Ha ha.

What claims where those? It was quite some time ago but I don't recall it being pitched as a Baldur's Gate style RPG.

In a break from Bioware tradition, they went a bit Molyneux in the runup to NWN and started proclaiming that it would change the face of RPG's and gaming in general.

I'm on my third partial play through, and I've just gone to Redcliffe castle, the differences in story are very good.

On both my previous play throughs, I went to redcliffe, saw Connor and then went to the Circle of Magi and got their help, however this time, Perhaps because I am a mage and helped Jown out in the origin, I was able to use blood magic, have Connors mother sacrfice herself, and I then made a deal with the demon to leave for now, of course Alistair was not impressed with it, but it was still worth it

Started this before Christmas, had a break, now really into it again. I'm about 2/3 or maybe 3/4 of the way through, with 50 hours to my name (though I play in windowed mode and often leave it running while forumming). Though the plot etc isn't anything new, I'm really enjoying the story.

Also, I have become yet another Alistair fangirl :). Unfortunately (from a romance pov) I'm a mage. I also missed the opportunity to harden him up, so I'm going to try and avoid him being king. Though I don't know how that'll work with the add-on packs.

I never finished Baldur's Gate (my saves always corrupted around 10 hours in) or BG2, though I liked them both, and was a massive fan of Planescape Torment and KOTOR so it's been great to see 'they' still make games like that.

My weakness is the tactical slot stuff - they seem a bit awkward to me, so I just let Alistair and Zevran hack away while I control myself and Wynne. Had to choose Zev over Leilana because I inadvertantly chose the same haircut for my MC as Lei, and it really bugged me having her in the group.

About 10 hours in now and LOVING this. I’ve done the origin and been and met the forest elves, which was quite a nice story. I’m being pretty good most of the time, though when someone is annoying I’m a bit of a bastard to them sometimes. I’ve started using the “intimidate” option a bit more as well, which Morrigan seems to like.

Loving the freedom. I’ve just done Redcliffe and although I was nice and good and helped everyone, I did get into an argument with that dwarf who was locked in him home and end up killing him, as well as pissing Alistair off by trying to intimidate the old woman in the chantry.

Just a couple of things I’d like to ask you guys really. How do I go to my camp? I’ve been to it once because the story triggered it but haven’t seen an option to just go there. Also, I briefly went to Lothering before Redcliffe, but just went it, use the merchant and left. It’s now been replaced by a skull and crossbones icon and I can’t visit it anymore?

Are there many more locations which can be opened? I wish I could go to a decent sized town without someone running up to me and asking for help. I know it’s all about the exploration but I’m tempted to use a guide to select and find my party, so I can level them as much as possible myself.

I think Bioware went a bit overboard with all the decision making in this game. With something like KOTOR it's okay because generally, you've picked Sith or Jedi and it's clear which way you're going to sway things. Here it get so complex and there's so many characters that you feel like you're just getting cheated out of the game unless you want to play it through several times. Which I don't, I've got too much to play thanks to the steam sale and also thanks to ME2 being around the corner.

It sounds like you dislike the best think about the game. Oblivion's what you want to play, a long, staid, linear (despite the sandbox environment) dell fest where your choices mean nothing. The fact that the dialogue is more ambiguous and its not just BE NICE/BE EVIL/DONT CARE is one of the most enthralling things about this and it adds to much more to the conversations. Everything feels really organic.

I care more about being able to experience the whole game in my first playthrough than hearing other people's stories.

Besides, without using some characters it hurts my experience because I know I am missing on something.

You don't like Bioware games then? They're all like this, having two extra slots in BG didn't mean you could play through with all of the 25+ NPC's and it was exactly the same in that you often had to choose people for their practicality rather than how much you liked them.

Camp is in your map - top right hand corner :coffee: It took me about that long to figure it out too, don't worry!

Also - I loved it 10 hours in. I really, really did. My issues with the game came far later (as cowfields' did, too). It's not that the game has choices that matter that is annoying, but that it can be almost uncharacteristic and random the things that might happen as a result. Not to mention flat out bugs that get party members leaving you for no reason at all when they said they'd stay (that happened to me).

You say you love how fluid and organic it feels now - yeah, it is. But later I felt it was far more scripted (albeit with multiple scripts - my story at least felt unfinished. Not necessarily in the unresolved sense but that there were gaps in dialogue and less interactions than I was expecting about my story) and less fleshed out which was disappointing. Still, I don't want to ruin your enjoyment :D

It all just sadly felt a bit unfinished to me and I think with some more polish in the latter stages, everything would've been fine :)

Just a couple of things I’d like to ask you guys really. How do I go to my camp? I’ve been to it once because the story triggered it but haven’t seen an option to just go there. Also, I briefly went to Lothering before Redcliffe, but just went it, use the merchant and left. It’s now been replaced by a skull and crossbones icon and I can’t visit it anymore?

Lothering has been

destroyed by darkspawn - you may have heard everyone talking about the imminent attack while you were in the town

! To get to camp, open up the world map and there's a little inset on the top-right with a campfire icon, which is your camp.

Are there many more locations which can be opened? I wish I could go to a decent sized town without someone running up to me and asking for help. I know it’s all about the exploration but I’m tempted to use a guide to select and find my party, so I can level them as much as possible myself.

Is there a list anywhere of all the current DLC and how much it costs?

There are quite a few more locations you have yet to see, and if you want a town to visit then you want either Denerim or Orzammar.

Also in the name of balance I've got to say I disagree with sprite regarding the later stages of the game which I felt were even better, but oh well!

Also in the name of balance I've got to say I disagree with sprite regarding the later stages of the game which I felt were even better, but oh well!

Could've just been the story I got then :coffee:

Also as an aside about levelling your party up etc - you don't really need to. There's a finite number of beasties to kill in the world and the other members you don't take in your main group also level with you (which is awesome) - just remember to spend their skill points from time to time!

Lothering has been

destroyed by darkspawn - you may have heard everyone talking about the imminent attack while you were in the town

! To get to camp, open up the world map and there's a little inset on the top-right with a campfire icon, which is your camp.

Pfft, there's always some whining gimp telling me about an attack or something. If I'd stayed could I have helped and saved them, like at Redcliffe? Was there anything good there which I missed?