Dragon Age: Origins

diggler

Five hours is nothing. That's like judging Super Mario Bros. on completing the first level. Must try harder. C-.

Except Super Mario Bros. makes you want to play onto level 2. Dragon Age is definitely slow to get going and to really draw you in. It's a fault because a person shouldn't have to play for more than, I dunno, 30 minutes before they feel as though they want to keep playing.

And yes, the voice acting is clumsy. At first I thought it was just a symptom of being a "multi-choice" style game, but I've just started Mass Effect and I find it much smoother. I'm not even sure it's the fault of the actors either; Claudia Black and Steve Valentine do a stellar job in Uncharted 2.

I guess it all comes back to me finding it all a bit unfinished - still enjoyed it, though, all in all.

Finished my second play through last night.

Although I have saved it a little before Landsmeet so that I could go back and get the other endings.

I now only need two more achievements (Traveller - I finished on 92% and the one to get all endings)

Ending in spoilers

I wanted to slay the dragon myself, but because Alistair loved me so much he wouldnt let me do it, the git, stole my glory. I played it the opposite way to my previous play through, it seems that some of what I thought were 'bad' choices actually turned out quite well

Return to Ostagar seems to be available on Live, again.

Anyone else got this yet?

RtO spoliers:

Very short but also very enjoyable. Really liked the flashbacks and seeing the King strung up was very effective. Some lovely weapons to be had as well, especially Duncan's daggers. A shame there wasn't too much happening in this and it was all what you would expect, more DLC please!

Im now only missing one achievement. The traveller one, but it seems that the area I am missing is because I told The Assasin that I didnt want to do any jobs for him.

It seems that unless I do another play through I wont be getting that final one.

Bit gutted about that really.

Just started this and I'm avoiding reading this thread to steer clear of spoilerage but I had to come on.

I mean seriously what fuckwit at Bioware was in charge of the character models?

iphone-in-megahuge-hands.jpg

Did they hire Stevie Wonder to work on the game or something?

Hehe. True, the hands are MASSIVE. Although if you've got it on PC, I'm sure someone must have made a Smaller Hands mod by now.

I'm not sure about that - I got that achievement and I didn't do any assasination missions.

Oh!

I've got a save before the Landsmeet, I think I'll go back to it and complete a few side quests, see if that opens anything up.

Thanks

Hehe. True, the hands are MASSIVE. Although if you've got it on PC, I'm sure someone must have made a Smaller Hands mod by now.

Unfortunately my PC doesn't have quite enough grunt to do it justice so I had to plump for the PS3 version.

Graphically the PS3 version is a car crash in the outdoor sections, terrible frame rate, draw distance on a par with a cataracts sufferer and some awful texture pop in. Indoors things run much better. If the PS3 is supposed to be the best console version I dread to think what the 360 one plays like, Oblivion looks much much better and that's getting long in the tooth now.

Still, graphics aside, I am utterly gripped. The story is interesting enough, the banter between party members is superb and I have had to make some genuinely difficult choices.

When a game makes you stop and really think about what may happen to NPC's depending upon your decision it really brings home how far the genre has advanced - sublime stuff. :wub:

About the expansion pack

I'm really interested in seeing how they do this, the endings of Origins are so varied that surely they cant refer back to them very often. I mean in one of my endings I had Logain killed by Alistair, Alistair on the throne, Anora in the tower, me alive and Morrigan off with my child, yet in another Alistair by my side, Logain dead, Anora on the throne etc.

I would love to be able to choose to import my rogue, and chase after Morrigan/my child, but at the same time I would like to play a game in which Alistair is king and the world remembers Logain as a hero. But they are two totally seperate games!

Unfortunately my PC doesn't have quite enough grunt to do it justice so I had to plump for the PS3 version.

Graphically the PS3 version is a car crash in the outdoor sections, terrible frame rate, draw distance on a par with a cataracts sufferer and some awful texture pop in. Indoors things run much better. If the PS3 is supposed to be the best console version I dread to think what the 360 one plays like, Oblivion looks much much better and that's getting long in the tooth now.

Still, graphics aside, I am utterly gripped. The story is interesting enough, the banter between party members is superb and I have had to make some genuinely difficult choices.

When a game makes you stop and really think about what may happen to NPC's depending upon your decision it really brings home how far the genre has advanced - sublime stuff. ;)

I did the Dalish origin in my first play through and now, having finished off Redcliffe and the Brecilian forest bits in my second, I am absolutely gob smacked by all the differences to the story and the choices I've faced. The Dalish were quite polite first time too whereas they're being thoroughly pig ignorant :angry:

When a game makes you stop and really think about what may happen to NPC's depending upon your decision it really brings home how far the genre has advanced - sublime stuff. :angry:

The 360 has muddier, less detailed textures and some sparse, laughable background details in places (thinking mainly the way trees in the distance at Ostegar and in the mountains look) but on the plus side, the frame rate is consistently smooth and shits on the PS3s. Except in close-up dialogue scenes if you have frost/telekinetic weapons on, in which case it drops to single figures.

Preparing to alienate myself...

I'm not a fan of Lord Of The Rings. I've never been massively into fantasy as a genre. Usually a game with Dragon in the title would not be for me, not because I have a problem with the geekiness but because it's just not necessarily to my taste.

Yes, I judge books by their covers.

But I love story driven games, I love both Mass Effects. I love levelling up, tinkering with squad choices. I love narratives where you get to decide stuff and then play out the consequences.

So, basically put, asking the simple question - Should I be playing this?

I just wanted outside opinion. It's not normally my 'thing', that sort of world, but I'm already getting annoyed at the fact ME2 will end at some point.

Didn't want to go through this thread too much for fear of evil spoilers or the classic 'white text you can still read' spoiler tagging :angry:

I'm four hours in and almost done exploring the marshy bit. I'm finding myself being sucked in. I like the woman you meet there - she has some good lines.

I'm not really setting any tactics, other than getting my main character to heal, but I imagine I will have to do this soon.

I did a side bit involving putting ash on a rock but all that happened was

some guy appeared behind me and attacked me. Is that all it does?

Does the day/night cycle go automatically? I want to get to that chest in the camp!

I'm not a fan of Lord Of The Rings. I've never been massively into fantasy as a genre. Usually a game with Dragon in the title would not be for me, not because I have a problem with the geekiness but because it's just not necessarily to my taste.

But I love story driven games, I love both Mass Effects. I love levelling up, tinkering with squad choices. I love narratives where you get to decide stuff and then play out the consequences.

I'm not the biggest fan of fantasy RPG blah blah to be honest and both Morrowind and Oblivion bored me to tears (and many older titles too). I love KOTOR, Mass Effect and stuff though so thought I'd give it a try and yeah, it ain't that bad :omg: My favourite thing which I think they have spot on is the AI control and tactics in combat. It works very well indeed.

I want to get to that chest in the camp!

;)

It's far better, story wise, and consequence wise, than any single Mass Effect.

It's far better, story wise, and consequence wise, than any single Mass Effect.

I love dragon Age, finished it 3 times, but I'm not sure about that statement. Mass effect 1 was great where ME2 is, in my opinion, the best game ever made. The story is shaping up very nicely and the consequences are great, especially if you import a save from the first game.

Back to Dragon Age, it is a fantastic game imo and a definite must play if you like Bioware games. As per usual they've taken the best things from other books/films and turned them into a fantastic world with great lore and history along with some great characters and companions to meet along the way. While it certainly doesn't look shocking on PC the graphics probably are a couple of years behind but it really didn't bother me all that much.

It's a much deeper and complex RPG compared to the Mass Effect games, it's basically fan service for the Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter fans and if you liked those you'll like this. It has far better combat than either of those games mind.

If you like Bioware games give it a go certainly.

I love dragon Age, finished it 3 times, but I'm not sure about that statement. Mass effect 1 was great where ME2 is, in my opinion, the best game ever made. The story is shaping up very nicely and the consequences are great, especially if you import a save from the first game.

Back to Dragon Age, it is a fantastic game imo and a definite must play if you like Bioware games. As per usual they've taken the best things from other books/films and turned them into a fantastic world with great lore and history along with some great characters and companions to meet along the way. While it certainly doesn't look shocking on PC the graphics probably are a couple of years behind but it really didn't bother me all that much.

It's a much deeper and complex RPG compared to the Mass Effect games, it's basically fan service for the Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter fans and if you liked those you'll like this. It has far better combat than either of those games mind.

If you like Bioware games give it a go certainly.

I'd go with this, more or less, but with maybe a bit less enthusiasm! Dragon Age is significantly better than ME1, but I think ME2 edges it out through sheer presentation values. Different kinds of games, though.

Awakening Trailer - Introducing Anders

Many mages chafe under the Chantry's control, and Anders is no exception. Although most mages are brought into the Circle at a young age, Anders was an adolescent by the time the templars found him: he had an understanding of the outside world and knew full well what he was missing. To him, the walls of the Circle Tower were nothing more than a prison. A born troublemaker, Anders repeatedly broke out of the tower, displaying great ingenuity. But for all his resourcefulness and talent, he could never quite elude the templars. It's a lucky thing that Anders despises blood mages as much as the Chantry does, else he might have been executed as a suspected maleficarum long ago. In truth, all he wants is freedom--well, freedom, a good meal, and a pretty girl on his arm. That's not too much to ask, is it?

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/62202