Microsoft E3 Conference: Done

Deeptone

You don't think there's going to be other stuff nested within the options on the 360 interface?

Not really relevant.

You're comparing it to the PS3 interface, without actually having used it, and messing up your description.

Vertical/Horizontal scrolling be damned - it's as similar at the moment in the screenshots to MCE as it is to the XMB (indeed who's calling out the iPhone/Wii interface designers for having the same approach as each other?)

Are those theme screen shots mock ups? I ask because it looks like the horizontal axis is being used to alternative options in this one and for something else in this one which is a bloody confusing bit of UI design.

I would say, "and they wouldn't design a confusing bit of AI like that would they," but given the current dashboard I couldn't type it with a straight face.

Major Nelson (that's where these screens came from) said these are what themes COULD look like, so... make of that what you will.

As for how it works, there are some videos on gametrailers showing a walk through, see what you think.

Not really relevant.

You're comparing it to the PS3 interface, without actually having used it, and messing up your description.

Vertical/Horizontal scrolling be damned - it's as similar at the moment in the screenshots to MCE as it is to the XMB (indeed who's calling out the iPhone/Wii interface designers for having the same approach as each other?)

Have you watched the videos? Screenshots are irrelevant, it works in the same way where you scroll up and down and then move left and right through the options without having to press a button to move to another screen.

Nobody compares the Wii and iPhone because the last time I checked the weren't both games consoles. It also helps that one of them isn't clearly an inferior version of the other.

I know it's not the rllmuk way, but perhaps we should wait until we've tried it?

What? It's a simple user interface, it's easy enough to see how it's going to work just by watching it being used.

I've got no doubt it'll work better than the current blade system, but from what I've seen it's just a badly implemented version of something that Sony have done a reasonably good job of implementing in their system, and all it would take to improve it hugely would be a few simple changes.

And surely any kind of revamp will be an improvement over the current one.

I must be one of the few that actually liked it how it was? I liked the way you could move side to side with the bumpers.

I don't mind the new one. It looks a bit... SD though.

Well, you seem determined to hate it.

No, I just happen to dislike it and am trying to explain why. Do you really think that menu items disappearing from view once you scroll past them is good interface design?

No, I just happen to dislike it and am trying to explain why. Do you really think that menu items disappearing from view once you scroll past them is good interface design?

I don't care really, if I wanted that option I would have selected it.

The XMB is pretty terrible too you know, I own a PSP and the minute you have more than four photos / videos / mp3s it takes far, far too long to scroll amongst your media and find the things you want.

It really wasn't designed to cope with large lists, or complicated folder structures, and it really shows.

The XMB is pretty terrible too you know, I own a PSP and the minute you have more than four photos / videos / mp3s it takes far, far too long to scroll amongst your media and find the things you want.

It really wasn't designed to cope with large lists, or complicated folder structures, and it really shows.

It's rubbish on the PSP, but I've got no problems with it on the PS3, it works really well.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36411.html?type=flv

What's annoying about that is that the mini version of the guide with all of the rubbish taken out from it would have made a perfect front end. The blade system itself wasn't the problem, it was all the bullshit they clogged it up with.

You can create folders on PS3 so scrolling through long lists doesn't have to be an issue.

The other great thing about it is that you can use a mouse to navigate. Which isn't really worth doing but feels LIKE THE FUTURE.

The blade system itself wasn't the problem, it was all the bullshit they clogged it up with.

This is quite a cool read - http://thefanboys.com/2008/07/01/dreaming-of-dashboard-20/

They broke it down as 11.5% user space, 22.5% advertising, 29.5% interactive, 36.5% unused.

And their redesign: (which I'm not hugely keen on)

dash-2-0-mkt.jpg

MS have cleaned it up which is a good thing I think.