IGNORED

Final Fantasy XIII on 360

cantonarv

How come when it comes to Square, they are fucking rubbish at doing the English translation to coincide with the Japanese release. Of all the RPG's that have been released on the 360 recently, I don't think there has been much of a delay between Japanese and English releases has there?

30sf24h.png

Was that screenshot purposefully (groan) racist or accidentally? Coincidental racism is always rather funny.

P.S. I love the new character

OH and Barack Obama's political career started in 1997, a mere month before Final Fantasy VII came out which featured the very first black main character in a Final Fantasy game, and now mere days before his political career comes to fruition Square Enix announce the next black main character in a Final Fantasy game. COINCIDENCE?! *sits and waits for people to tell him to fuck off 8D*

Barret, Barack, D::::::::::

Square Enix will release the Final Fantasy XIII demo as part of the Japanese Final Fantasy VII Advent Children Complete animated film bundle on 16th April.

That's according to IGN, which says the 90 minute-long game sample will be available in two types of Advent Children package, both of which may work on European and US PlayStation 3 consoles.

Buyers can either go all out on a special console bundle, which includes the Advent Children film, 160GB PS3 and a copy of the FXIII demo. This costs JPY 49,980 (GBP 375).

Those just after software can pick up Advent Children plus FXIII demo for JPY 5,900 (GBP 44).

While the demo will presumably be voiced and written in Japanese, there will be an English voice-over option for the Advent Children film, which is nice.

Square Enix has still to make a move regarding the European demo, but suggested to Eurogamer that there may be something to announce in the not too distant future.

So pretty much as was suggested a few months ago, although a special edition ps3 for the Blu-Ray and demo seems a little excessive, but I expect sales will peak that week

For the serious collectors, there's the Cloud Black 160 GB Special Spec + Final Fantasy XIII Trial Version Set. This bundle includes Advent Children, a 160 gigabyte PS3, and a copy of the FFXIII demo. The included hardware is black and features a special Cloud logo

No hardware shot on Squares website yet

OH and Barack Obama's political career started in 1997, a mere month before Final Fantasy VII came out which featured the very first black main character in a Final Fantasy game, and now mere days before his political career comes to fruition Square Enix announce the next black main character in a Final Fantasy game. COINCIDENCE?! *sits and waits for people to tell him to fuck off 8D*

So in that time Square's depiction of black men has managed to progress from a Mr. T lookalike to a funk soul brother with a chicken that lives in his afro?

To be honest, even VIII had a decent, consistent style in my eyes. The muted colours made it all work; FFX to me seemed really garish by comparison.

I really liked VII at the time too, despite how much SE seem to want to transform the characters into Squall Leonhart in the various spinoffs.

VII is great, but it is anything but consistent. What with the three character models and all.

What are the chances of Square going back to the style of FFIX for the next mainline FF? I sort of like the look of the FFXIII, but it seems that they try to be far too serious when they have more realistic dimensions. I want my games to be fun. :unsure:

I adore IX (the music and visual style work really well), but I can see why Square go for the Realistic/serious angle - much of that comes from their desire to make their games more "accessible" to the western market (not that FF needs the help). Your idea of "fun" games seem to be side titles now.

If it was on the Wii then yeah I think an FFIX approach would work, but on a ps3 or 360 type machine I prefer the Square tendancy to get the absolute best from the hardware with as realistic as they can manage. FFX's engine was superb for it's day, only MGS2 was comparable at the time* and I suspect XIII's will be awesome

*MGS2 had better character modeling, but that favored small rooms, whereas FFX had vast open areas with lots of panning and rotating around characters

Everything in FF8 was years ahead of it's time. Even Selphies haircut became really popular about a year or two after the game came out. As well as Squalls clothing: silver mens jewellery, undersized black leather jackets, studded belts, cleavage tshirts.

Final_Fantasy_VIII_03.jpg

Squall had some great dialogue:

Squall: Are you done yet...? I don't wanna talk about it. What am I supposed to say about other people's problems?

Quistis: I'm not asking you to say anything. I just want you to listen.

Squall: Then go talk to a wall.

Quistis: Aren't there times when you want to share feelings with someone?

Squall: Everyone has to take care of themselves? I don't want to carry anyone's burden.

Quistis: Squall. It's not like everyone can get by on their own, you know?

Squall: ...Says who?

Seifer: Who cares. This must be your first real battle. You scared?

Squall: I don't know. I try not to think about it.

Seifer: I love battles. I fear nothing. The way I look at it, as long as you make it out of a battle alive, you're one step closer to fulfilling your dream.

Squall: What? Your dream?

Seifer: You have one too, don't you?

Squall: ...Sorry, but I'm gonna pass on that subject.

Fun facts:

- The main characters in FF8 each had disorders applied to them (almost textbook definition exact)

- Seifer wanted to be a knight because he saw Laguna's movie (look at the battle stance Laguna does closely too, Seifer mimics it)

The thing people seem for forget about VIII are it's massive inconsistencies in plot. It's half futuristic, with it's space travel and flying buildings, and half old school with it's magical sorceresses, castles and time warps. It doesn't work to me. And as good at the plot was at some points, it was shit at others.

Oh, and junctioning was shit.

IX was the best of the bunch for me. But, echoing someone's comments earlier, that old style FF games don't sell, of the PS1 three (VII, VIII and IX) IX sold the worst. Says a lot, really.

The thing people seem for forget about VIII are it's massive inconsistencies in plot. It's half futuristic, with it's space travel and flying buildings, and half old school with it's magical sorceresses, castles and time warps. It doesn't work to me. And as good at the plot was at some points, it was shit at others.

Oh, and junctioning was shit.

The plot is fantastic. It's a complex personal story, with fantasy characters, in a sci-fi world. It's got some cool influences too, in particular the reign of Artemisia and Mausolus (real people from greek times).

These are some coins that used to be used back in their day:

coingz4.jpg

Star > Artemisia (real figure) > Rinoa (you see her first and last pointing to shooting stars, her limit break is called 'Wishing Star'

Lion > Mausolus (real figure) > Squall (lionheart, griever, etc)

There's a lot of other greek and latin influences in the game too. Ultimecia's castle is full of those cool paintings with latin names that you have to decode.

VIII is set on an entire planet, obviously there's not going to be one big shared culture on that planet. You've got the modern cities, the smaller towns, the villages, seaside towns, and the massive futuristic continent (which is where all the stuff about space travel and the moon came from), which is blocked from the rest of the world. Each has their own feel, which is something I liked. If you go to each place after the storyline there is done, people say some pretty cool things. I think I went in every building in some places whilst leveling up for the final battles just to hear what people had to say.

Anyway, the theme of this game is love. The theme of most games is 'shoot'. Pretty big difference.