IGNORED

Darksiders: Wrath of War

Jamie John

I'm up to what I assume is the final dungeon now, after some initial teething problems (the prologue isn't great & the events leading up to & including the first dungeon were fairly tame) its really started to get better. The mixing of weapons during combat is well handled & the lock-on works pretty well.

The character design is great close up, but there is an awful amount of areas where I'm just running through empty caverns & the general landscape design can often look jarring next to the comicbook characters, it would have benefitted actually from a SF4 style art direction, where it really looked like a cartoon come to life. But for the most part it looks pretty good EXCEPT FOR THE TEARING!!!!! Strangely there doesn't appear to be any tearing when using the over-the-shoulder aim mode!

Due to its release date & featuring Angelic characters its gonna be unfairly compared to Bayonetta, but they're not really that similar. I don't really get the Zelda influences either, it feels more like Soul Reaver than anything else but thats no bad thing!

It's maybe not worthy of the overhyped praise its been getting, hell its not even THQs best open world game (Saints Row 2 & Red Faction:Guerilla are both more rewarding experiences), but its still very fun to play & it does get better as it goes on.

Well this is a seriously pleasant surprise.

Really enjoying this now - in the first dungeon which reminds me of the first PS2 Castlevania in look and feel a little - only much better to play.

Didn't really get the Zelda comparisons up to now but this is a real Zelda-esque dungeon - its even got bombs to blow up walls and everything! :ph34r:

....awaits the inevitable "it shortly turns to shit" warning from meh

Theres a bit on that dungeon where you have to chain a few bombs down a corridor that had me stumped for over a fuckin hour. Naturally it was simple, but there was no indication or hint at that type of puzzle from earlier that I ended up just completing it by trying everything possible in the room until something happened.

This friday is going to be gooooooood. This and Bayo can pass the time unti Mass Effect 2 nicely

Exactly this. I have a copy of both waiting for me round the corner, picking them up at lunchtime :(

Not sure whether to get PS3 or 360 version, can people tell me the technical problems they've found with the version they're playing?

Exactly this. I have a copy of both waiting for me round the corner, picking them up at lunchtime :(

Not sure whether to get PS3 or 360 version, can people tell me the technical problems they've found with the version they're playing?

Bayonetta - get the 360 version. The PS3 version suffers horribly with loading times, it seems.

Darksiders - get the PS3 version. The 360 version suffers horribly/a bit (depending on the person and how much it matters to them) with screen tearing, it seems. Though this is something they intend to patch, once it can get through "official channels" and all that.

I have to agree with sprite on this one. Bayonetta on the '360 is apparently leaps and bounds superior to the PS3 version. Where as for Darksiders the reverse is true. I know this as every time I played on a demo of it at various expos, it was always on a PS3, which has lead me to believe that the PS3 version is the one to get.

ok so those who've got it some more impressions please! I'm currently debating fighting my way into town to pick this up... go on - give me a reason to :bye:

I just picked mine up from GS £40 it was. I'm ignoring Bayonetta till its cheaper. Impression to follow tonight sorry.

ok so those who've got it some more impressions please! I'm currently debating fighting my way into town to pick this up... go on - give me a reason to :facepalm:

Literally only played this for half an hour, and first impressions for me are very good. The art style and direction is excellent, and the combat certainly feels great

I got the PS3 version, after reading the previous posts this looked the one to get. FYI, the local Asda near me in Warrington didnt recieve the delivery, but blockbusters had it

Will post further impressions later this evening if you want.

Cheers

Alan

Good that a patch is on the way. Feels strange when the 360 version is not as good if not better. It's my multiformat machine and I'd prefer not to have a smattering of good and crap ports between both, keep them on one- makes things more simple! Will prob pick it up tomorrow

Well I caved and bought this and bayonetta thisafternoon. Have to say very impressed so far. Combat feels good and meaty with lots of bad ass feeling moves. War himself is brilliantly realised an the art direction for all the characters I've seen so far very good. Have only got about three hours or so into it so far but the puzzly explory nature also feels great. All in all I'd recomend this to anyone sitting on the fence can see myself really getting into this. Oh and the voice acting is really good. The only downers I could level at it is the textures in the world are a little 'meh' and don't really look cutting edge could easil have come from a game a couple of years ago. Oh and also in a post batman / assasins creed 2 world the jumping in it really doesn't feel great. You really have to be in front of something to jump onto it - feels very 'gamey'. But really am nit picking here as I think it's ace. Deserves peoples hard earned cash IMHO.

Genuinely amazed that people are positive about this. It's unimaginative, generic dross and feels like a turgid old slog to get anywhere. Everything about it is so laboured and tired. If God Of War had come out in the first wave of Xbox 1 games, it'd be something like this.

That something so dated and technically remedial suffers from slowdown and tearing is unforgivable. Coming from Bayonetta to this was like going back in time. Absolute shite.

Yeah, this is such a nice surprise. My copy of Bayonetta didn't arrive this morning, so I went out and rented this. So glad I did - I don't think it has an original bone in its body, but as a God of War/Zelda/Panzer Dragoon Orta (...okay, only for a couple of minutes) hybrid, it just does everything right. In some ways it actually feels like the game I thought Brutal Legend was going to be... as deerokus said, running around a tortured Earth with a clunking great sword dispatching hellspawn after hellspawn.

Approaching the end of the first 'dungeon' now... really does wear the GoW/Zelda influences right on its sleeve, and unashamedly so. But there's nothing wrong with that! :)

Man, those last two posts are somewhat conflicted... ^_^