Xbox 360 60GB UK Release - Friday 15 August

northy

Looks like Play.com have cut the price of the current 20GB 360 to £169 today. Is this price cutting of old stock in anticipation of the new model? Do we have any ideas when the 60GB will be released in the UK? Do all 60GB models have the new "Jasper" motherboards?

Here's what Wikipedia have got to say about them...

The "Jasper" Xbox 360 motherboard will include both a 65nm CPU and GPU, as opposed to the Falcon motherboard (currently in the market), which has a 65nm CPU but not a 65nm GPU. This revision will further reduce heat generated from the processors, and is scheduled to be in production in August 2008.

I'm assuming this is exactly the same as Sony's 80GB upgrade, done purely because it makes financial sense, rather than the official introduction of Jasper (which nobody has talked about in ages). You'd think the arrival of Jasper would allow them to do the price-cut everyone seems to keep going on about as it would affect all models in the X360 range. I'd more likely guess they will do a stealth upgrade like with the previous motherboard iteration as such things aren't meant to be known to end-users.

• 3 weeks later...

I might finally get a 360 for Braid, Galaga Legions, Pirates vs. Ninjas Dodgeball and Banjo-Kazooie. But will I have to buy the bridge thingy for wireless broadband access? That and the prospect of having to pay for Live membership before I'm even given the chance to pay to download said games is not how this PS3 and Wii owner likes to roll.

I might finally get a 360 for Braid, Galaga Legions, Pirates vs. Ninjas Dodgeball and Banjo-Kazooie. But will I have to buy the bridge thingy for wireless broadband access? That and the prospect of having to pay for Live membership before I'm even given the chance to pay to download said games is not how this PS3 and Wii owner likes to roll.

Silver accounts are free. You get full access to the Marketplace without having to pay for an Xbox Live subscription. You only have to pay to actually play online.

You only have to pay to play online, all other features (friends lists, achievements, market place) are free.

Have they sorted out copying everything to a new machine without having to be connected to Live for downloaded games to work and all that guff?

Yes, I couldn't play some games I legitimately bought on my previous machine but they are all working on my new machine using the new drm thingy on the xbox site

The 60 gig will be pretty damn useful for the installing games to the hard disk. Could easily fit around six games on that I think

Yeah, I was thinking of replacing my 20 gig drive with a 120 in anticipation of the "Fall" update, but I reckon a 60 would be quite sufficient.

I don't suppose they'll be selling the 60gb drives separately though. :lol:

Fucks sake, I've not even had this thing a month yet.

This should make you feel better:

I bought an N64 with every penny I had saved up for years when it was £250 shortly after launch. The cunt dropped to £150 two days after I bought it. Sent a hand written letter from a kid to nintendo and got fuck all

This should make you feel better:

I bought an N64 with every penny I had saved up for years when it was £250 shortly after launch. The cunt dropped to £150 two days after I bought it. Sent a hand written letter from a kid to nintendo and got fuck all

My mate did the same and i'm sure there was a deal where you could send off for a Pad and 2 games for free if you'd bought it for £250.

Is this one supposed to be any quieter? I'm in need of a new Xbox as mine makes the noise of a low flying aircraft and wondered if this might be any quieter than the Elite?

Edit: I dont currently have an elite, I have an original premium from launch day - i can't decide whether to buy an elite or the new 60 gig.

Is this one supposed to be any quieter? I'm in need of a new Xbox as mine makes the noise of a low flying aircraft and wondered if this might be any quieter than the Elite?

The Elite is quiet, it's about 80% quieter than my old Premium. I don't think they come any quieter.