Geometry Wars 2

Eighthours

I've been concentrating on getting it going as quick as possible - clearing the first few waves ASAP and make sure you go for the orange enemies first as they seem to yield more geoms. I can average 5-6 million per game now which was my absolute record for week 1 - the black holes are key to mass geom collection shoot them, let 'em fill up then smart bomb the shit out them or shoot them down and scoop it all up.

I usually die 3-4 times on a 5m run - aim for about a million points and 450-500 multiplier with a minute to go and provided you only die once you should hit 5-6m.

Also, try to fly into the enemies as much as possible so you're shooting them and scooping up the geoms as you pass by.

Is black hole harvesting good for points as well as geoms? I try to pump them up during Deadline but it gets so chaotic around them I usually end up dying and losing everything before I've popped them. Is it better pump them up and bomb them when it gets rough, or am I losing out on massive points by doing that?

Yeah, I worked out last night that just shooting forward is the best way to play Deadline unless you get into trouble. Just carve your way around the screen shooting stuff in front of you. I tend to ignore the greenies, letting them congregate behind me and smash them all with a gate when I get the chance.

i can get 6m on deadline in my sleep now but any more is just eluding me, at least consistently. i do the black hole thing, fill em up and shoot em, usually ending up with a 300 multiplier and 1m points after a minute....then it all goes the same standard way, i just cant hit these heights of 10-20m.

Okay - some of you forgetting key elements in deadline....

1....Don't die.

2....Black hole explosions are worth 5x on anything they kill around themselves. Farming them by the time they come is a bit pointless. You've got to keep moving. Just try to explode them (not set them off) when theres lots of stuff around you.

3....Rebound gates are worth 5x to anything they kill. Its this key factor some people are overlooking as well as the fact they continue playing once they've lost more then 2 lives.

4....Don't play the casual game. Assume got 1 life (2 max).

If you die reset the game. You only get the big points by taking chances - those chances mean leaving gates around to kill AI on the bounce and not dying.

I know i've only got 12m but follow those tips and you'll win. Anyway i'll top that later.

Is black hole harvesting good for points as well as geoms? I try to pump them up during Deadline but it gets so chaotic around them I usually end up dying and losing everything before I've popped them. Is it better pump them up and bomb them when it gets rough, or am I losing out on massive points by doing that?

Yeah, I worked out last night that just shooting forward is the best way to play Deadline unless you get into trouble. Just carve your way around the screen shooting stuff in front of you. I tend to ignore the greenies, letting them congregate behind me and smash them all with a gate when I get the chance.

Bombing the black holes is a massive waste - concentrate on your aiming and just blow them as soon as poss if you don't want to take too big a risk. Use bombs in other tight situations though - they keep the enemy spawn levels at the same amount so you can keep getting big points.

At the risk of sounding like a twat, is the trick to 5m+ in Deadline not dying and collecting Geoms like mad? When do you bomb? When do you kill black holes?

The main reason people fail at Deadline is because they play the 'running away' game. You have to be aggressive and move and shoot FORWARD at all times - concentrate on moving to location of the last big bunch of enemies you killed immediately after killing them.

Another tip, diagonal shooting + strafing left and right to clear out space in a tight spot without using a bomb.

Always try and use gravity wells as mini bombs - dont worry about how many enemies are near them when they explode, the radius is fairly large.

Use the gates to clear the purples and greens off your arse, they shouldn't be able to catch you if you keep moving.

Concentrate on awkward enemies like snakes to make sure you dont get any nasty box-in moments.

OH MY FUCKING GOD. I could've trounced Jonster's Deadline score just now. Except. Well, except I just died continuously for the last thirty seconds ARGH FOR FUCKS SAKEEEEEE ;)

:( Love it.

:)

I think I've cracked my addiction of this. It's both a good and a bad thing :)

It's 4am and I've spent 2 solid hours trying to get the "wax off" achievement. What a total waste of 2 hours. It's literally like running around in circles. I have nothing to show for it except that my brain has turned to mush.

I only got this game tonight but did that in about 10 goes. Just to make you feel better.

I just can't quite do Wax Off. Can get to 80-90% most times but then just fuck it up. I feel like a failure. But that's mostly related to the size of my... scores compared to people in this thread.

Me either but then again I havent tried for a few weeks now, due to it annoying me so much, and I'm much better at pacifism now. 68 million last night :)

chasing achievements is such a waste of time..its not like anyones gona see "wax off:20pts" or whatever and thing wow he must have spend hours on that.

Horses for courses, I'm going for all the cheevos myself before embarking on a scoring run.

Missing Treaty, Smile and Rebound now. Treaty, like Wax Off, is luck-based IMO. It really does depend on how the enemies spawn.

I got very, very lucky, since I was able to get Wax On quickly without too much of a fuss, even half of Wax Off was straight-forward enough, but getting the last bit I had to bide my time before going back on myself to pick up the last few and right after I got the last one, I got killed.

2....Black hole explosions are worth 5x on anything they kill around themselves. Farming them by the time they come is a bit pointless. You've got to keep moving. Just try to explode them (not set them off) when theres lots of stuff around you.

So, to clarify - you should let them suck loads of dudes in and then set off a smart bomb before they explode naturally and let loads of blue homing-baddies out?

So, to clarify - you should let them suck loads of dudes in and then set off a smart bomb before they explode naturally and let loads of blue homing-baddies out?

I read it as charge them and destroy them, as opposed to just triggering them and leaving them to suck stuff in.