Geometry Wars 2

Eighthours

This game is pure crack. I think that the relative short sessions followed by two quick presses of the A button to start a new game completely nailed it. Unlike a lot of other games it doesn't feel like a chore to restart after failing achieving a highscore, and this makes it so much easier to play for hours at a time.

Hey no drugs talk allowed. But yes it is the best legal rush out there when you get a decent game going. Rapid restarts and having the nearest friend score up on screen should be features of every similar game.

every session with out fail has gone from a 5 minute blast to a two hour quest to get an achievement/higher score. Seriously I now can't play this after 10:30pm as I know I will still be on at gone 12:30...

what's drives you on is you know its possible to get a hire score its just doing it thats the hard bit...

Interesting, my tactic is usually to let them swallow up baddies and explode them before they burst. Ill try nailing them sooner then in that case.

same but it just sets you up for pain...either swirling enemies catching you or you being overwhelmed soon after because you let enemies build up..

my 1st time of asking i got 10m as soon as i tried it...10 mins later i got 15 mil. cant repeat it now

Interesting, my tactic is usually to let them swallow up baddies and explode them before they burst. Ill try nailing them sooner then in that case.

50/50 balance works best - as Angel says it's a bitch if you're close to the hole and enemies start swirling round it under its pull. I used to let em fill and smart bomb them before they exploded which reams loads of multiplier geoms but the score you get for catching nearby enemies is huge.

Can anyone clarify the gates for me ? Do rebounded shots give you 5x the same as catching people in their blast radius or is it only by detonating them you get that ? i.e is it worth trying to kill as many as possible using deflected shots ?

My new target is 20mil which would put me 4 clear of the nearest person on my FL - I'm currently sitting around 13.5m.

Rebounds are worth 5x as are blowing up the gates. As with pacificm, its handly if you can lure AI into the gates from the side.

It must be said that you lot have now taken off in all game modes apart from sequence. I've stopped playing it becuase it takes to much of my time - like everyone has said.

Went on a bit of achievement hunting yesterday, but that 'Treaty' one is a right bitch. My final attempt had me exploding in a shower of sparks just before reaching zone 29 :)

First time I tried for that I got to 29. Then it took me a further 50 goes (probably) before I finally got it. After about 22 the blue dudes seem to get faster than you? Irritated the hell out of me.

Only have the sequence achievements left but I don't think I'm good enough to get them to be honest.

Rebounds are worth 5x as are blowing up the gates. As with pacificm, its handly if you can lure AI into the gates from the side.

It must be said that you lot have now taken off in all game modes apart from sequence. I've stopped playing it becuase it takes to much of my time - like everyone has said.

Nice one cheers Afterbirth - that's hopefully the thing I need to get my deadline & evolved scores up a bit more - I thought it might but wasn't sure if I was wasting my time with them.

First time I tried for that I got to 29. Then it took me a further 50 goes (probably) before I finally got it. After about 22 the blue dudes seem to get faster than you? Irritated the hell out of me.

Only have the sequence achievements left but I don't think I'm good enough to get them to be honest.

I maybe was really lucky, but I did that within a few goes. They do get faster than you, but you have to use the safe areas to block their direct path to you. Worked for me anyways :)

After about 22 the blue dudes seem to get faster than you? Irritated the hell out of me.

Yes, they are getting faster. I think they can overtake you from zone 20 onwards. As marcus said, using the safe zones to block their path works, but you need to be lucky enough to have a clear path to the next zone, the ability to cross it with all the followers on your tail and not having those fans flying in the way. I'll probably give it another shot tonight, I just can't believe I've come so close a couple of times just to blow it with the finish in sight.

Just managed to go from 7 million to just shy of 13 million on Deadline. Woo hoo

How many times did you die? I tried again for an hour last night, the best I got to was around 6 mil, the least died was twice and I think thats the key.

I find if I give myself cut off points where if i die before a certain score i'll restart

evolved is about 2 million or restart (still can't get higher than 13 million on this though)

deadline - 500,000 or restart

shame my advice isn't reflected in a glorious scorecard

supert3d.png

How many times did you die? I tried again for an hour last night, the best I got to was around 6 mil, the least died was twice and I think thats the key.

Didnt die until about 1min 30 was left on the clock, I was on about 5.5 million at that point. Lost loads of lives in the last minute though, but by that time my multiplier was so high the score kept shooting up.

Basically I follow Afterbirth's advice and if I lose one life I hit restart.

I find if I give myself cut off points where if i die before a certain score i'll restart

evolved is about 2 million or restart (still can't get higher than 13 million on this though)

deadline - 500,000 or restart

I think restarting is a mistake, the key to bigger scores is just being better and you get that by spending more time playing the game when it's really busy on screen rather than the initial quiet spell, I can reasonably consistently get 13-18million on deadline and I only consider restarting if I die in the first 20seconds or so, other than that there's plenty of points to be had from when it goes mental.

Regarding bombing, when going for the really big scores avoid bombing as you should be taking out the crowd of enemies behind you with gates and black holes but if you're in the 10-20 million category I'd say bomb when you feel out of control or you're about to die, settle your nerves and carry on, don't forget though that the bomb has a radius so use it in the corners so it leaves a bunch of enemies alive for you to shoot while you wait for them to respawn.

Also, if a crapload of enemies have gone into a black hole and you can't stop it from exploding then bomb it and sweep up the multiplier.

As a points target, aim to get around 1million points after the first minute, if you hit that and don't die much after you'll get a good score.

So when is somebody going to challenge my King score then?

nap0le0n.png

-edit- Crap, I've dropped out of the Top 500, seems I have to give it another go tonight then.

I tried that tonight actually, except I'm utter toilet at King mode, for some reason, it just won't click. :)

It's really not - I got just close to 24 million, and in the last minute died 4 times. I'd used all my bombs previously to that.

To add to the confusing mix of advice - I'd say the most important thing in the first minute is to get your multiplier up, no matter what. Which means aggresively chasing the geoms. If I've not got over a million and between 250 -350 multiplier in the first minute, I'd not consider it a good start for a high score session - but I'd not restart, as you need experience of the end game.

Use bombs. Don't quit when you die. Get your multiplier up as quick as possible no matter how. Use gates. Use blackholes.