Geometry Wars 2

Eighthours

I think the top score in the world on deadline finished with a multiplier of x1400...that is just crazy for the level I am at.

I have recently got my score from consistently 2-3 million to 6-8 and I know that I can go way beyond this with a bit more skill.

[the following tips are just me, I don' know if they are correct]

I don't know exactly when the first gate appears but I think it comes after killing a set amount of enemies (at first I thought it was based on geoms or simply time-released), so I tend to ignore geoms for the first few seconds and just shoot everything as fast as I can. As soon as a gate appears I stop firing backwards and only move forward, letting a decent size swarm get behind me. Then, when it's getting a bit hot to handle I use the gate...this kill will generally see black holes and snakes spawn and if you can stay alive for a bit you will rack up some real points by using gates and black holes as described above.

I generally only ever end up with x400-x500 multiplier, so my current technique obviously lets me down but it will get you scores heading for 10mill.

I did some decent new highscores on Pacifism, but I'm still a bit miffed that I didn't manage to beat Bingox' Kings score

My brother just messaged me and he has an 8.9m score on King - I though my score was safe :( . It's a tough score to beat but my pride demands I at least try.

So, after getting the demo last night, I loved it.

I have to be up for work tomorrow, it's gone 11 now but I just bought the full game. I may be sleepy in work tomorrow

Seems not many people on my friends list have it though, so feel free to add me, I'll go through this topic tomorrow and add some folk too.

Bloody hell, I'm doing something wrong then; I've only managed 2 clear runs, each netting me around the 10 - 11m mark, and my average score's probably around 6m!

I'm amazed that such an ostensibly simple game can have such ridiculous depth. Who'd have thought you could have tactics over and above "die less, kill more?"

Hmm, I would have expected a higher score than 10m on a clear run. What was your multiplier like by the end?

I just got 27.5mil on Deadline! (died a couple of times - one in the last couple of seconds just as I was about to destroy a BH). Oinkster your 33m is now my next target.

Hmm, I would have expected a higher score than 10m on a clear run. What was your multiplier like by the end?

I just got 27.5mil on Deadline! (died a couple of times - one in the last couple of seconds just as I was about to destroy a BH). Oinkster your 33m is now my next target.

Hehe! BRING IT ON!!! :)

thanks for sharing guys.

These tips are great.

One thing I'd add that I don't think anyone else has mentioned - listen to the music! There are quite obvious markers on the end of every 30 seconds (if not 15 seconds) so you can mentally know where you are - and listen out for the bells when you hit 1 and 10 million. All good so you don't look at the score, panic and die!!

Well, I just got this today, and have managed to crack 1 million for each game type, but some of the high scores you lot seem to be getting is just crazy talk! Add me if you want somebody on your high score table with a lower score than you!

I have been having a laugh with the achievements though. Some inventive ones, some hard bastard ones but a lot of fun to be had.

One thing I'd add that I don't think anyone else has mentioned - listen to the music! There are quite obvious markers on the end of every 30 seconds (if not 15 seconds) so you can mentally know where you are - and listen out for the bells when you hit 1 and 10 million. All good so you don't look at the score, panic and die!!

I grabbed this today and am in love with it - the music is especially great for pacing/etc. They've taken what was already great fun and refined it - fantastic!

Howdy y'all. I just came across this thread and have found some useful tips, thanks! I actually didn't know about the 5x bonus thing, so that's helpful (I figured there was some kind of bonus.. I'll have to finish reading to see if anyone knows how much more it's worth to let a black hole fill up with dudes before blowing it up). I had posted over in the score thread first, and competition's fun and all, but mostly I've been getting into the tactical analysis side of the game lately.

One thing I noticed recently about Deadline was that when you kill all the enemies on the screen (all but 1, really), it immediately spawns the next wave, instead of taking the 4 or 5 seconds it normally would otherwise. If you can do this for the first 4 or 5 waves, you may end up sacrificing some multiplier, but you can pinch a few extra seconds (0-10 I'd guess, depending on stuff) spent with more enemies on the screen at the end. When you consider how crazy it gets by the end of 3 minutes, you're trading the score of a handful of low-multiplier enemies at the start and a few bits of rice for a lot of enemies killed at the very end at a very high multiplier (with an arguably good chance of 5x bonus + star enemy absorption bonus, if that's even a thing). Does that make sense or am I keerazy people.

Anyhow, I've been having a lot of fun with this recently, especially multiplayer (which really takes the edge off, especially if yer knackered). Really the value of this game at 10 american yen is staggering.

EDIT: gonna go through and add some folks who've posted their gamertag ids. Mine's "cowstor"

I've taken on-board some of this threads tactics and made some big progress (for me!) in Deadline. My scores jumped from circa 1-2million, to the 5+ I've now got.

MIRV%20Valver.png

My friends list is pretty deserted as far as GW2 players go - so anyone wanting to add me, feel free :)

Oh hey, just came across this nifty strategy guide, for those of you still playing this silly, silly game. Much of the advice mentioned in it has been talked about in this thread already, but it makes for a good synopsis if nothing else.

I recognized Tekunikaru's gamertag from earlier in this very thread. Mad props for some truly impressive scores dude, all of which I expect to crush any day now OF COURSE :lol:

Cowilus, you bastard! You've pretty much beaten me to a bloody pulp! 53 Million!

Well done... but still.... Bastard! :lol:

Haha :wub: yeah that was a pretty lucky run though, and I haven't touched it since, not even close. My next best 10 scores are all in the 20-30 million range, even after a lot more practice. I'm convinced that scores of 100M+ are possible in that mode, but the bitch of it is that the more aggressively you play, the harder it gets, so I've topped out for the time being it seems. If I can keep a clear head and not get too pissed/depressed from perpetually falling short of my goals in this game, I usually walk away from a session with some new lessons learned, and hopefully that will all add up eventually.

In fact, I think it's the same way with all my highest scores. When I first picked the game up, I played very aggressively and took a lot of risks, and through sheer repetition it paid off on a few singular attempts, but there's no consistency! Drives me nuts :wub:

Played some more this weekend and finally broke through a few stubborn scores that hadn't moved in a while, yay woo :D

I had some more thoughts and questions on Deadline tactics that my feeble brain seems unable to digest, so I thought I'd try to get some other interested brains crunching on these issues and see what comes up. Sorry if this gets a bit too nerdy for some, but here goes.

First, I've been framing the problem like this:

- you have a finite (but variable) number of enemies to kill

- there are a finite (but variable) number of gates and gravity wells with which to maximize points awarded for killing enemies

- there is a ratio of enemies-killed-to-multiplier

and you want to

- maximize the number of enemies that you kill

- maximize the number of enemies killed with gates and gravity wells

- do both those first two things at the maximum multiplier

OK, so that's the basic problem framing (or is it??), now to fill in some of the details:

- a new wave of enemies spawns about every 5 seconds, but you can earn a couple extra spawns in the beginning by killing the first few batches of enemies before the interval is up.

- the number of enemies spawned at each interval is a function of how many have been killed so far; the number of enemies increases geometrically (heh). I don't know what the exact function is, or whether killing different enemy types affects it (sometimes it seems to? I don't know). I've heard the spawn size referred to as "rank", which seems like a good term to me. I've also heard that this maxes out, but I'm not convinced of that at all.

- the game seems to give you a new gate about every 3 spawns, but I don't know the exact rule here. Does it relate to rank?

- Gravity well spawns seem tied to rank. The first one seems to appear with the first batch of snakes.

- Dying decreases rank + 5 second or so time penalty, bombing seems to keep rank the same + 1 or 2 second time penalty.

Anyone notice that your ship fires in time with the music? (I love the sound design in this game.) Your ship fires a burst of 3 bullets 16 times in a "measure", and I counted exactly 16 measures in the first 30 seconds from game start, so there are 96 (measures in 3 minutes) X 16 (bullet bursts per measure) X 3 (bullets per burst) = 4608 maximum bullets fired in a game. If one bullet can kill 1 enemy, that's an absolute maximum of 4608 enemies you can kill in 3 minutes by shooting alone. Certainly you'll never come close to that, due to the following constraints:

- your aim sucks

- there aren't nearly that many enemies on the screen for the first minute and a half of the game anyway

In any case, this begs a couple questions:

- how many enemies can theoretically spawn in 3 minutes?

- what's the point at which spawn sizes exceed the limits of killing by shooting? Nobody can achieve perfect bullet efficiency, so this varies by individual skill. So I guess the real question is: what is your limit, how can you improve it, and how does this limit affect what kinds of tactics you can get away with?

- does the game ever absolutely, mathematically force you to bomb, even if you're making no mistakes?

You get a bigger bonus by taking guys out with gates and gravity wells, so when is it appropriate to kill guys by shooting vs pacifism-style? I don't think it's a simple matter of shoot-everything-you-can and "pacify" the overflow (though when the rank gets high enough, this is essentially what you're forced to do), but at the same time, shooting a bunch of guys before the next spawn gives you more guys to shoot in the next wave, so what's the sweet spot there? Is it ever appropriate to save gates for later when there are more enemies to kill?

I'm sorry, I wish I could tie all this down into a nice, simple set of guidelines, but I just haven't been able to bring it all together in my mind yet. Help!

Also, got me one of these fancy gamer cards:

cowstor.png

I feel your pain Simmy. The first month I played this game I couldn't break through 10M on Deadline, and it was soo frustrating at times. I mean, every time you die it's always like wtf, you didn't even see that orange guy or goddamn pink baby dude. On the bright side, it's a brilliant game that has a way of pulling you back for more, and little by little you get through your confusions/hangups/blind spots. Before too long, you'll have a breezy handle on all the action that seemed like pure overwhelming chaos at first. I think that part of the brilliance of the game is that the more you put into it, the more fun and rewarding it is. In any case, dude, help me figure out the tactics to this mode so we can both bring our scores up!

That's where I'm at with Waves and King right now. It's not like the other modes where I at least have some sense of the tactics but still struggle with execution, it's that I'll jump in and flail about for a minute or so and die before I even knew what I was in danger from. It's like, WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME, MODES :lol: I gotta have faith that at some point things will start to gel, but it hasn't happened yet!

Props to dood and bingox for setting some good scores to beat in Waves and King, respectively :D

And thanks for the encouragement from folks here, it's appreciated. But don't be too impressed! Remember: for every score you labor months to achieve, somewhere there is a 10 year old japanese girl who achieved it the same day the game came out :P THIS IS LAW I'M PRETTY SURE

Good luck matey, I'm sure you'll cane my Waves score soon enough; when I first got it I was 40th in the world! I don't think I could be bothered to put in enough practice to get better at that mode, now that my initial GW2 addiction has died down.. It literally goes insane after a few minutes; it may as well have a time limit like Deadline. You'll see, if you haven't already.