Geometry Wars 2

Eighthours

Signed up to the mygamercard thing but can't find where to get the nice Geo Wars 2 gamercard you guys all have.

Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

I think you can just copy the image url and replace the gamertag with your own, too.

Good luck matey, I'm sure you'll cane my Waves score soon enough; when I first got it I was 40th in the world! I don't think I could be bothered to put in enough practice to get better at that mode, now that my initial GW2 addiction has died down.. It literally goes insane after a few minutes; it may as well have a time limit like Deadline. You'll see, if you haven't already.

I don't care for this getting-over-your-addiction nonsense! :( My personal goal has been to get into the top 100 for each mode, but everything keeps shifting down as people keep getting better and can't accept their proper place.

You have time to work all that out, and beat my score on deadline too by 20 million?

I'm getting to old for this lark :(

Haha man we all are :(

Seriously though I haven't worked anything out yet, but I'm struggling toward coherence. I'll be trying to gather what thoughts I have together into as useful/interesting a package as I can, but at the same time I don't want to overwhelm the thread with impenetrable nerdiness.. I had a batch of time this weekend, but usually my weekdays are busy busy. Still plenty of time for larking anyway :>

Had a bit of time to play Deadline this morning and after the usual series of OK runs (and a fair number of restarts), I had a pretty great run of 57M :unsure: It went like this:

- In the first minute, I played aggressively for rank, trying to kill as many enemies as possible before each new wave of enemies spawned.

- I used each gate and gravity well pretty much as soon as they appeared, taking out a modest number of enemies (half-dozen or so per), nothing spectacular (I didn't let them build up). But it got the rank up pretty high, and by the end of 1:00 I had about 2M, 400x multiplier, and 30 or 40 (hard to say really) enemy dudes spawning each wave.

- Usually I die alot in the second minute and end up restarting, but this time I managed to survive the entire time. Also, I try to never bomb, but this time I dropped about 4 bombs as things once again got too difficult to handle.

- But I scored another few gates and maybe a gravity well or two, taking out groups of about 20-30 enemies each time. By the end of the second minute I had 25M and 1600x multiplier. Easily the strongest run I've had by the end of 2:00.

- Then I started dying like crazy, probably about 5 times in the last minute. But it's a testament to the power of the multiplier + rank + gate/gravity well bonus that even the 3 of 4 times I got it in the last minute was able to net me another 30M.

- With a little more skill + luck, I think a run like that could end around 100M >:wub:

- Oh and for the 2nd and 3rd minute, the only way I can survive consistently is by sticking to the wall (give or take a few spaces) and going around the map in circles. I deviate when I think I can because there's usually better points & multiplier out there in the messy middle, but the opportunities for doing this seem elusive.

I've been pretty ambivalent about the tactic of using bombs to increase your multiplier, and though I haven't proved it at the retarded theoretical level (which I sure would like to do, gosh), it sure seems like you just have to bomb at certain points, give or take some margin. I guess since the focus is on scoring gate and star bonuses, each piece of rice you pick up is actually worth 5x on one of these, so I guess it balances out the fact that you lose potential points by clearing a screen of enemies (and gates and stars). At least sometimes. Maybe.

Anyway, yayy. Hope that's useful to people.

Had a bit of time to play Deadline this morning and after the usual series of OK runs (and a fair number of restarts), I had a pretty great run of 57M :unsure: It went like this:

- In the first minute, I played aggressively for rank, trying to kill as many enemies as possible before each new wave of enemies spawned.

- I used each gate and gravity well pretty much as soon as they appeared, taking out a modest number of enemies (half-dozen or so per), nothing spectacular (I didn't let them build up). But it got the rank up pretty high, and by the end of 1:00 I had about 2M, 400x multiplier, and 30 or 40 (hard to say really) enemy dudes spawning each wave.

- Usually I die alot in the second minute and end up restarting, but this time I managed to survive the entire time. Also, I try to never bomb, but this time I dropped about 4 bombs as things once again got too difficult to handle.

- But I scored another few gates and maybe a gravity well or two, taking out groups of about 20-30 enemies each time. By the end of the second minute I had 25M and 1600x multiplier. Easily the strongest run I've had by the end of 2:00.

- Then I started dying like crazy, probably about 5 times in the last minute. But it's a testament to the power of the multiplier + rank + gate/gravity well bonus that even the 3 of 4 times I got it in the last minute was able to net me another 30M.

- With a little more skill + luck, I think a run like that could end around 100M >:wub:

- Oh and for the 2nd and 3rd minute, the only way I can survive consistently is by sticking to the wall (give or take a few spaces) and going around the map in circles. I deviate when I think I can because there's usually better points & multiplier out there in the messy middle, but the opportunities for doing this seem elusive.

I've been pretty ambivalent about the tactic of using bombs to increase your multiplier, and though I haven't proved it at the retarded theoretical level (which I sure would like to do, gosh), it sure seems like you just have to bomb at certain points, give or take some margin. I guess since the focus is on scoring gate and star bonuses, each piece of rice you pick up is actually worth 5x on one of these, so I guess it balances out the fact that you lose potential points by clearing a screen of enemies (and gates and stars). At least sometimes. Maybe.

Anyway, yayy. Hope that's useful to people.

Lord have mercy. In depth stuff. As a veteran geometery wars 1 player (was not that good mind you but probably one of my most played games) I'm used to circling in an anti clockwise motion when things start to get hectic but I'm sure this plan works against me in Deadline. Is the circular motion best way to go?

Lord have mercy. In depth stuff. As a veteran geometery wars 1 player (was not that good mind you but probably one of my most played games) I'm used to circling in an anti clockwise motion when things start to get hectic but I'm sure this plan works against me in Deadline. Is the circular motion best way to go?

See, that's a great question, and an open one as far as I can tell. I feel like the game forces you to the outside because (1) things tend to be a bit simpler, what with enemies pretty much only coming at you from in front and to one side (snakes especially are easier to kill when you can keep a stream of bullets in front of you and they're forced to cross over it) and (2) after 1 or 2 new waves of enemies, the center gets so thick with snakes and crap that it's almost impossible to break through thereafter; it's a vicious cycle.

With an ever-larger cluster of enemies chasing you from behind, you're going to be moving in some kind of circular pattern anyway (pink dudes especially force you to make hard turns), so really your choices are between tight circles and wide circles*, with the option at any point to reverse the arc either clockwise or counter-clockwise, which can yield a pattern like a figure 8 or a sign-wave. I guess it all depends on what path you're able to cut in order to best fit the circumstances, but I'd say ideally the goal would be to cut the shortest, easiest path to the nearest gate or star at any given time. How does that sound?

*edit: come to think of it, a straight dash is totally appropriate too, and is essentially what you're doing when you run along the walls. The pink guys seem to accelerate just enough over the course of, say, the long wall of the rectangle, to getcha. A group of those guys following you around will cut off other options too, like for instance stopping or straight reversing course (for the most part).

I played the piss out of GW1 too, but never could get much over 2M. I could never quite deal with all the shielded red guys the game starts throwing at you in the later "levels" :unsure:

Look at cowilus's - he currently has no rank in Deadline, which couldn't make less sense if it tried:

Huh, that's weird! The leaderboards seem to be up over at bizarre's website, so who knows what's going on there. Possibly for performance/response-time reasons, the image-generating software gamercards uses has a quick timeout for fetching each piece of score data. I'd guess? Oh, seems to have fixed itself now.

Say cowilus, have you posted in any other threads yet?!

Hahaha why yes, if you count the other geometry wars 2 thread :D

I actually learned of this forum when a friend linked me to a terrific Braid thread here back in early august. So when I recently started googling for gw2 strategy discussions, I was delighted to see rllmuk come up in the results. One of the best online gaming communities on the web IMO.. you Brits are so CIVILIZED :wub:

I have got 12m on deadline by creeping along the bottom of he screen backwards and forwards, but I know this isnt the way to get the real big scores like above, and that helpful post just proves it.

Id love to improve my evolved score also (26m), but find Ive hit another brick wall on that one. Its not so easy to use the edges in this mode, and it forces you out into the open a lot more.

That's pretty much my tactics. I just seem to be shite at employing them, then. :)

Yeah, and much of what I said was a rehash of earlier posts in the thread I'd say. But you're right, what's the use of knowing what to do if you can't actually do it. Personally, I think that implementation is just another layer of tactics, say "micro-tactics" vs "macro-tactics". For example, so what if you know that you're suppose to get to that gate you just noticed over there? That's just a layer of the answer to "What are you supposed to be doing right now?". The question breaks down into smaller questions:

- where is your ship

- where is the gate

- what's the best path

-- um shit this is hard

- what do you have to shoot to get there

-- how do you even aim with this piece of shit

- how do you kill the most guys with that gate

-- uh oh what's the blast radias

-- what's the expected path of those motherfuckers behind you

-- where does that gate think it's going

- seriously where is your ship, goddamn it, god-

- SWEAR

- ok restart, just restart

- BREATH

- etc

Smaller questions get smaller answers. And you have to be asking the right questions at the right time, and answering with the right answers. But wait, you say, this game makes me so mad. OK, have you ever been in a fight with your girlfriend, and you don't know QUITE EXACTLY why you're mad at her, and you say stupid things to her in that state because frankly, no offense, you're stupid when you're like that? Well of course, later you apologize on the premise that you were just mad and weren't listening properly.

I have got 12m on deadline by creeping along the bottom of he screen backwards and forwards

Good skill to have under your belt! Has its uses eh? :)

Its not so easy to use the edges in this mode, and it forces you out into the open a lot more.

Evolved is so much more random and chaotic compared to Deadline, and anyway a bit over my head right now. How do you cope?

Argh!

Went back to this for the first time in ages and discovered the whole Wax on/off thing by chance (i.e. without looking up how to get it); now I'm obsessively trying to nail it; Ive become all hunched, nervy and easily irritable already. :P

No shit eh? This game is like taking an anger management course. I just took an hour on my lunchbreak to play Deadline (had only planned for 30 min, heh), and it was just die restart die restart die restart etc. The same stupid mistakes over and over, or so it seemed. If you can play it for a whole hour without getting irritated then you have achieved EXPERT COMPOSURE and could probably be presdient.

What's up slackers. Time for

ESOTERIC TIP OF THE DAY - THE RIGHT THUMBSTICK

So while the left thumbstick controls your dude's movement in an analogue sort of way (you go different speeds depending on how far you push the stick), the RIGHT stick is actually rather digital; you are either firing or you aren't. If you're like me, you probably instinctively push the right stick all the way to one side or another when shooting, BUT YOU DO NOT HAVE TO EXPEND ALL THIS ENERGY PEOPLE. In fact, only a slight degree of tilt is necessary to start firing. WHAT THIS MEANS IS that, with a bit of practice, you can relaxxx your right thumb and achieve a much greater degree of agility in your firing pattern, as it takes FAR less distance and effort for your thumb to traverse from one direction all the way to the other, possibly opposite direction. Try it!

THE END

PS

You guys, Wipeout HD just came out, and I may have to run off and marry it for a bit. GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL

Oh snaps, I saw that RUBBISH on my friends list over the weekend :wub: Nice job!

I've been too busy to play ANY games these last few days, as I'm preparing to take a trip and all kinds of stuff at work needs attention before I go. Hopefully a break won't weaken my fabulous abilities too much, and I'll be able to come back and put a BOOT TO YA.

Cheers B)

Well, this really is an excellent game isn't it? Really nice how they've added to the original with the different modes that all play very differently.

I'd not used my 360 for months but here I am now, blisters on my thumbs on a Monday morning. Awesome stuff

Not sure if this has been mentioned earlier, but the soundtrack is going to be released in some form or other this month. It will be available from the audio antics website on the 17th October 2008.

Nice one. Geometry Wars' main theme has always been one of the most haunting and lovely game tracks for me. Loved the DS music too. And as for the filtering effect when you die in GW2, woh!

Something weird happened - I was playing Pacifism, a few waves in and the game paused - not the pause screen, duh, but everything just stood still. Then when I moved the analogue sticks, you could navigate the actual area! The controls are like in the theatre option in Halo 3; you can get up close right to the gates and watch in the distance the white ship being chased by all the blues. Secret feature, surely?

Something weird happened - I was playing Pacifism, a few waves in and the game paused - not the pause screen, duh, but everything just stood still. Then when I moved the analogue sticks, you could navigate the actual area! The controls are like in the theatre option in Halo 3; you can get up close right to the gates and watch in the distance the white ship being chased by all the blues. Secret feature, surely?

You pressed RB + back by accident, somehow!