Batman: Arkham Asylum

Harsin

Right, anyone managed to a takedown in a straight up fight yet? Every now and then in a fist fight I see "Y+B Takedown", so I press it...and then he just does the cape stun. Am I missing something?

One of the buttons?

Right, anyone managed to a takedown in a straight up fight yet? Every now and then in a fist fight I see "Y+B Takedown", so I press it...and then he just does the cape stun. Am I missing something?

Just make sure you're by a recently downed enemy when you hit the buttons and Batman will break a limb of his choice. It's fracturetastic!

Also, for anybody who hasn't done so yet, launch a batarang with the right bumper instead of the right trigger.

First reviews are in, always wary of "exclusive" reviews but these look promising (copied from meta critic so don't have full copied)

general impression given by the text of the review. Learn more...

Games Master UK

Arkham Asylum is a game with the power to utterly captivate you and can stand proudly alongside modern classics such as "Resident Evil 4", "Gears of War," and "BioShock"...Simply put, Batman: Arkham Asylum is a masterpiece. [sept 2009, p.66]

Game Informer

Batman: Arkham Asylum is this year's "BioShock," not just from the connection established with the world, but from its ability to innovate where new ideas are needed, and moreover, deliver an adventure unlike any other. [sept 2009, p.82]

Those comparisons with Bioshock will go down well over here in Rllmuk! :ph34r:

It's one of the forum's most hated games, you would think it was the worst game ever made and practically a crime against humanity reading some of the comments here. I can hear those pre-orders being cancelled from all the way over here in Holland :(

Been said before, but I love the combat in this, it's just brilliantly how you can seamlessly go from a normal punch, to countering someone whose behind you br grabbing their legg and elbowing them in the gut, then doing a round hose kick on a thug then uppercutting his mate.

Just downloaded the version off steam. How do I access the graphics options again? I've been in there once, I need to get in there again to turn down the details.

I couldn't find any actual graphics settings either.

Just come back from skimming reviews in 360 and 360 gamer. Both rate the game highly (5/5 and 8/10) but the latter suggests the game is let down by the final third where there are a number of repetitive boss fights and no memorable conclusion. So, possibly Bioshock like in that respect - developer runs out of steam, ideas, funding?

I never understood why people on here went so mental over Bioshock. It had its flaws, but I loved it. Gamers today are such spoiled twats.

I always remember the backlash here as being more against the hype and the reviews than the game itself.

I always remember the backlash here as being more against the hype and the reviews than the game itself.

That's the way I see it, the review in GamesTM, which basically amounted to two pages calling Roger Ebert a cock for not thinking games were high art, was particularly embarrassing.

The Bioshock comparison is accurate, but probably not for the reason the writer intended. Both are games that do their own thing, have been (or will probably be) massively commercially and critically successful, but don't have much impact on the wider picture.

Who did the 360 Gamer review? A UK print journo, giving the game an 8/10, well clear of the embargo? Hmmm!

Who did the 360 Gamer review? A UK print journo, giving the game an 8/10, well clear of the embargo? Hmmm!

Seems pretty reasonable in comparison to GM's 96%! I'm guessing 80%ish is the fig that will end up being the average score for this

So, do we think this is going to be the first truly excellent superhero game? Sure we've had a lot of decent to above average and good ones, Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, Wolverine (and more than enough stinkers, thank you Spider-Man 3) but I don't think there's been one that has been truly excellent one (perhaps Infamous which I haven't played and dunno if it counts), but this looks like it could possibly be it.

It already exists, and it's called Prototype.

Prototype was pretty good, but it was pretty much just Hulk Ultimate Destruction with HD graphics (not a bad thing mind) but for me it was a case of 'Hulk was more "fun."' Karate kicking a helicopter is fun, but not as much fun as riding it, then kicking it into a giant robot. And while I really enjoy those games, I wouldn't say they were up there in quality with your COD4s, Burnouts and Bioshocks. I think Batman might just be that.

Also, just like Hulk Prototype had those oh so fun "juggling military squads." Fucking hated those.

See, for Bats that makes sense because he is just a bloke. But I can see where you coming from with some heroes. I like what they did in the Wolverine game where you had two health bars, one for your skin, and one for your internal organs. Meant you could take a shitload of hits while slicing people to bits and as long as you had a bit of health left, you'd be fine a few minutes because the regenerating health made sense for him.

I remember what they did to try and explain that in one game for Superman...didn't turn out so good.

Superman64box.jpg

Personally I just think Superman's a fucking boring hero anyway. OK we can cut him some slack because he's the first, but he just causes no end of apathy in me. He can't be killed so why should I give a fuck about him? He'll be fine. Even when Kryptonite is concerned it's rather impossible, even downright inconsistent, like in Superman Returns (which I only ever watch to see Spacey's Luthor, the rest of the film can fuck off). He gets stabbed by a tiny sliver of the stuff, which nearly kills him...and then he chucks an entire island made out of it in to the sun, which is his solution for everything, well either that or spinning:

superman5.jpg

Supes is only every interesting when he's around Batman, because he knows Bats is the only person who could conceivably kill him. Or Bats just glare at him until he went and sat in a corner.

The main thing that I dislike about most Superhero games is that you're so weak. Superman can stop a full speeding train with his thumb, but if you play a Superman game you lose about half your healthbar if you get hit by a single bullet.

Which is the great thing about the Batman demo: a few bullets will tear you pieces, but in combat, stealth and aglity, Batman reigns supreme. His strengths and weaknesses seem to have been perfectly realised and if this holds out for the full title, I can see this becoming one of my favourite games of all time.