Batman: Arkham Asylum

Harsin

Some of the Bat-scores so far.

[English/American/Australian]

GamesMaster: 96%

Game Informer: 9.5 (Second Opinion: 9.5)

Xbox World 360: 95%

PlayStation Beyond: 9.0

The Official Playstation Magazine (UK): 9/10

Playstation: The Official Magazine (US): 9/10

Official Xbox Magazine (Australia): 9/10

Total Film: 5/5

Focus: 5/5

[German]

ConsolPLUS/Consol.AT: 91%

M! Games: 90%

360 Live: 90% (Reader Review: 88%)

Play³: 90%

GamesTM: 9/10

PS3M: 9/10

[French]

Jeux Vidéo Magazine: 19/20

PSM3: 19/20

[scandinavian]

Pelaaja: 10/10

Gamereactor: 9/10

Bullet points from the GI review:

+inhabitants of Arkham Asylum feel like living, breathing characters. Converse w/ one another, interact with Arkham's geometry, and create their own self-contained stories

+Melee system highlights brutal efficiency. Even when odds are stacked against you, you feel as if you can take everybody out.

+Areas of the Asylum are blocked off until new gadgets are obtained (zelda/metroid style)

- The final confrontation is a MAJOR letdown. A good idea gone to waste. In this scene an outrageous concept is squashed by Batman's mortality. The fight that follows is easily the game's worst.

Goes on to say: "Regardless, Batman: AA is this year's Bioshock...delivers an adventure unlike any other"

Batman: Arkham Asylum is not only the best Batman game to come out on consoles, it's a contender for Game of the Year.

Yes, it's definitely a good take on the stealth / hero genre, in the demo they pretty much nailed it. I didn't like the combat much, but at least they didn't go for the usual brawler kind of game.

To be honest, when I first played the demo I felt a touch underwhelmed by the combat. Since then I've played it more times than I care to remember and once you understand what's going on, it's really satisfying.

Pulling off an eleven hit combo on the first three bad guys and a fourteen hit combo on the second group whilst throwing in a some visually impressive counters, leaping floor finishers and bone-crunching 'Y+B' moves is fantastic. I can't wait for the 28th.

Pulling off an eleven hit combo on the first three bad guys and a fourteen hit combo on the second group whilst throwing in a some visually impressive counters, leaping floor finishers and bone-crunching 'Y+B' moves is fantastic. I can't wait for the 28th.

OK, how do you do the Y+B moves? Whenever I try to do them he just stuns the guys with his cape which is just the B button isn't it?

OK, how do you do the Y+B moves? Whenever I try to do them he just stuns the guys with his cape which is just the B button isn't it?

I think you just have to be quick. As soon as you see the Y+B prompt, push the stick in the direction of an enemy and hit the buttons. Bats will perform the move on both downed and upright opponents.

I think you just have to be quick. As soon as you see the Y+B prompt, push the stick in the direction of an enemy and hit the buttons. Bats will perform the move on both downed and upright opponents.

It's a great feeling when you pull them off, because they look glorious. :lol:

Yeah it's R2 plus Triangle on the PS3 and it works a treat, execpt when other people are attacking you.

No, that's the RT+Y move on the 360, and works only on downed opponents. There's is another, presumably triangle+circle on the PS3, which also works on standing opponents.

Bargain bin purchase confirmed :hat:

Even with all of the game delays to 2010, I still don't really have time for Batman: AA. I enjoyed the demo but I think I will pick this up when I have a bit more free time...and money. :lol:

The Y+B/Triangle+Circle takedown becomes available once you hit 8x multiplier, I believe. It's very easy to pull off, the only reason I can think people are missing it is that they lose their combo; keep an eye on the ticker and give it a shot as soon as you hit 8x.

The Y+B/Triangle+Circle takedown becomes available once you hit 8x multiplier, I believe. It's very easy to pull off, the only reason I can think people are missing it is that they lose their combo; keep an eye on the ticker and give it a shot as soon as you hit 8x.

This, but it is 5x I believe.

As much as I'm looking forward to this, I can't help but feel a twinge of regret that it isn't set in a sandbox Gotham.

Also, disappointing lack of Two Face, although maybe they're saving him for the inevitable sequel.

Also, disappointing lack of Two Face, although maybe they're saving him for the inevitable sequel.

Could be but I'm hoping for some appearances from characters that haven't been shown yet, if not Two face then at least The Riddler. ONe of the cells in the demo is daubed in question marks and there's The Riddler collectibles of course.

Then again, it may add up to nothing more than that, just little references to other characters,

Bargain bin purchase confirmed :blink:

Well, if it has a disappointing finale it's certainly something both games have in common. :hmm:

I like Bioshock more than most on this forum I guess, but I have the feeling I'll like this more. I prefer third person games to first person shooters in general. And Batman > Jack.

So I played the demo today, it's absolutely fantastic. The brawling is extremely simple, if a bit too simple, but it's quite fun being able to easily pummel enemies with the tap of an X button and some Y counters. The stealth sections are fantastic, not necessarily for the gameplay itself, but the fact that you are able to slowly strike fear into the hearts of the convicts and listening to and watching their reactions. The inmates of Arkham have full blown conversations depending upon how many people you've taken down, where you are, in what position they have been taken down, and the Joker himself replies to. It's simple awesome taking an inmate behind one another down, climbing atop a gargoyle and waiting for him to find the body, then hearing his cries of "Oh god! The Batman's gonna get me next! I just know it!"

The Joker works pretty much how Gruntilda did in Banjo-Kazooie, talking to you as you ascended into her lair, I love it and I don't think I've ever played a game where the villain constantly talked to as you played. Besides BioShock at least, but it's done a bit more comically in this in vein of Banjo-Kazooie and I like it.

This, but it is 5x I believe.

Managed to do it, just press Y+B when near an oppoenet after getting a 5x combo as said, have to be quick though as the combo counter stops quite quick. Though as a help counters count as a hit.

It's a great feeling when you pull them off, because they look glorious. :hmm:

I broke a guys arm in one! You're right, it was glorious.

I'll buy it. I enjoyed the demo. The combat felt really meaty and I liked the non-combat bits too. Sorta reminded me of Condemned, only without any of the tension of being attacked while investigating.

If the detective view was taken out and the devs weren't restricted by the license (I assume they were) they could've adapted the story and made something really dark and quite terrifying. That's probably just the imagery of being locked in an asylum with a bunch of psychos, though. Even so, the detective view ruins a few potential surprises because you can see through walls. At least in the demo there wasn't much to justify it; it was basically a device used to prompt the player they were approaching a stealth section.

That being said it's nothing major. I'm gathering that all the inaccessible vents and fractured walls are put to good use as you get more gadgets, right? I spent ages staring at a high vent thinking it was the only way forward. Woops.

If the detective view was taken out and the devs weren't restricted by the license (I assume they were) they could've adapted the story and made something really dark and quite terrifying. That's probably just the imagery of being locked in an asylum with a bunch of psychos, though. Even so, the detective view ruins a few potential surprises because you can see through walls. At least in the demo there wasn't much to justify it; it was basically a device used to prompt the player they were approaching a stealth section.

There might be a gameplay mode that doesnt include the Detective tool.

I'm gathering that all the inaccessible vents and fractured walls are put to good use as you get more gadgets, right? I spent ages staring at a high vent thinking it was the only way forward. Woops.

The Asylum is supposed to be (IIRC) a sandbox, so you can and might have to go back to certain areas via the vents anyway.