Batman: Arkham Asylum

Harsin

Aye I'm from Belfast, but I live in Canada. 25th it says on my receipt so that's when I'm heading down. Tried a couple of different ways of playing the demo yesterday including not using the grappling hook in the final room, bit more of a challenge. There's also glass that says can be broken, what's that about? A Batarang won't break it, can you stand over it and pull someone through it or drop on to them?

There might be a gameplay mode that doesnt include the Detective tool.

Or what should happen is that when using Detective Mode the Batman himself should disappear from view. Which would mean you could use Detective Mode in a cleared room with impunity, but when faced with a room full of armed combatants, you would only be able to activate it briefly and get a quick fix of enemy positions before switching back to normal vision and engaging them.

This could certainly improve the stealth aspect by making sure it's not too easy. Or it could completely ruin it. I don't know, I'm not a game designer.

So according to those reviews, not only is this the best Superhero game in some time but also the best Batman game?

Sounds too good to be true, but I really hope it is. Those 2 jinxes have been going on for too long.

Aye I'm from Belfast, but I live in Canada. 25th it says on my receipt so that's when I'm heading down. Tried a couple of different ways of playing the demo yesterday including not using the grappling hook in the final room, bit more of a challenge. There's also glass that says can be broken, what's that about? A Batarang won't break it, can you stand over it and pull someone through it or drop on to them?

Yes, you can. Very fun to do yet also very noisy so be sure to either grappling hook awak quickly or open a grate and make an escape under the floor :hmm:

Yeah, be standing on top of the glass as a goon walks underneath.. POW! Context-sensitive action GET! It looks awesome, but causes loads of noise. Not that the attention's a bad thing when you have the best escape method ever. (grapple)

I went to Eidos and played the first chapter last week.

Impressions HERE.

"Coupled with the chunky character models our initial impression is of a more fluid Dead Space – albeit with smooth, hassle-free melee combat. You can even pull the L trigger to ready the Batarang, firing it with the R trigger. Put it all together and you have a system that lets you batter a horde of prison thugs with satisfying, brutal efficiency."

I went to Eidos and played the first chapter last week.

Impressions HERE.

Why has no one ever made a decent Batman game? LEGO Batman is just about the only passable tie-in with DC Comic's darkest of avengers. And that was hardly what you'd call a dark, gritty realisation.

Have you never played Batman The Movie on the Amiga? That was a really good Batman game, although it's bloody ancient now.

I thought the demo was decent, but nothing special. It's just a massively context-sensitive stealth game, isn't it? That all well and good but it feels more like it's playing itself.

I like the (apparent) Metroid-Primey structure, though.

Is there any footage of any of the boss fights that I can watch? The trailer showed an impressive cast of characters...

Considering the fact that I played through the demo multiple times now and still find new ways to tackle opponents, I wouldn't say it's playing itself...

More like playing itself than if it wasn't so context-sensitive, obviously.

Eg. Why can I only grapple onto gargoyles? Why not onto anything else?

You can grapple on to ledges in the demo, and later you'll be able to grapple bad guys by the looks of a couple of the latest videos (gadgets one).

I thought the demo was decent, but nothing special. It's just a massively context-sensitive stealth game, isn't it? That all well and good but it feels more like it's playing itself.

It only feels like that if you compare it to other games in the genre of 3rd person brawling/exploring.

You need to play it like a Batman Simulator. The objective is to be in style of that character as much as possible, that's where the style of gameplay will come from. In the brawls in the demo, I try and make them flawless, bats wouldn't let a rubbish thug get a punch in. Then with the stealthy bits you try and get the moves as smooth and silent as possible to match his style. It's much more fun than just aiming to get from A-B in whatever way possible

The games designed with all that context sensitive to make his style possible without massive room for error or looking too rubbish

That was the other niggle I had (that I forgot about when posting). After the devs talked about climbing up into the rafters to sneak your way past enemies I thought there'd be a lot more to it than just waiting for a room with gargoyles in it to show up. It's quite limiting having only 4 or so points in a room to switch between.

It only feels like that if you compare it to other games in the genre of 3rd person brawling/exploring.

You need to play it like a Batman Simulator. The objective is to be in style of that character as much as possible, that's where the style of gameplay will come from. In the brawls in the demo, I try and make them flawless, bats wouldn't let a rubbish thug get a punch in. Then with the stealthy bits you try and get the moves as smooth and silent as possible to match his style. It's much more fun than just aiming to get from A-B in whatever way possible

The games designed with all that context sensitive to make his style possible without massive room for error or looking too rubbish

I realise all of that, yes. It's the opposite of what a game should be, though.

I realise all of that, yes. It's the opposite of what a game should be, though.

Not really, if a game is aimed towards making an experience then it'll aim itself that way. Who says what a game should be anyway? I'm sure you (or I'm mistaking you for someone else) said that to someone who said a certain wii game or something wasn't a game (wii fit/wii music?). It's a silly vague statement.

It's worth bearing in mind that it's a demo anyway so more complexity down the line shouldn't be ruled out, but the style it captures is for great execution of the character.