IGNORED

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Harsin

Not really, if a game is aimed towards making an experience then it'll aim itself that way. Who says what a game should be anyway?

Me, the consumer. :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong; if a developer wants to make a game that way and people are happy to play that, more power to them. I'm only stating my opinion on it.

You can grapple on to ledges in the demo, and later you'll be able to grapple bad guys by the looks of a couple of the latest videos (gadgets one).

Yep. And blow up walls with explosive gel. :rolleyes:

In the big room that ends the demo, you can also take out all the baddies without ever using the gargoyles. Ever tried sneaking up under the floor panels, for instance?

There are lots of options. I did my first corner takedown during my last play through, which was pretty cool. :(

If it turns out you can in fact use said gel anywhere and not just where there are breakable walls, I will partially rescind my 'too context-sensitive' remarks.

Is there a game outside of Battlefield Bad Company or Red Faction Guerilla where you can blow up any wall? Specifically, what game in the stealth genre lets you do all the things you are looking for, Sprite? This is less on rails than the last few Splinter Cell games, and certainly than the last Tenchu game, which more or less give you one enemy at a time to take out in a predescribed order in a predescribed way. As was said, you don't have to take everyone out with glide kicks from the rafters. In the final room of the demo you can glide kick them, hang them upside down, hit them with a batarang, drop on them through a glass ceiling, attack them from under floor vents and directly battle them.

Complaints about the fight system being automatic remind me when people said Assassins Creed was just hitting one button over and over, and then talking about how often they died in the fights. To fight well in the Batman demo, you need to use two or three buttons, and can use four or five. In a purely dedicated brawler like the Yakuza games, you only use three buttons most of the time, if you are someone who likes to dodge. And this is a stealth game, on the whole. All good games that involve fighting are based around timing, not how many buttons you use. King of Fighters only has four buttons.

I think some people are trying to come at it from the wrong angle. It's a stealth game where you are trying to be Batman. As was mentioned, to see the same concept done really badly, play Batman Begins. It has stealth, fighting, gadgets, a fear/intimidation system, and is completely muff. It doesn't ever feel like you are controlling Batman. I don't like the Unreal Engine mandatory design of the enemies, right down to Killer Croc looking like something out of Gears and Zsaz or whatever in the demo looking like a space marine, as do the goons. But certainly from playing the demo it feels more like Batman than any other game to date, and besides that seems like a very solid stealth actioner. It feels like a lot of complaints are people who want it to be something its not and never pretended to be, like the cancelled GTA style Batman game.

Is there a game outside of Battlefield Bad Company or Red Faction Guerilla where you can blow up any wall?

I didn't mean for destroying walls specifically, just 'using' the stuff in general. Setting traps for enemies, for example. Otherwise, it's just a 'key' to open a 'door'.

Specifically, what game in the stealth genre lets you do all the things you are looking for, Sprite?

Does one need to exist for me to want it? I would have thought it was the opposite!

Regardless, if you're interested, Metal Gear Solid ticks most of my boxes.

This is less on rails than the last few Splinter Cell games, and certainly than the last Tenchu game, which more or less give you one enemy at a time to take out in a predescribed order in a predescribed way. As was said, you don't have to take everyone out with glide kicks from the rafters. In the final room of the demo you can glide kick them, hang them upside down, hit them with a batarang, drop on them through a glass ceiling, attack them from under floor vents and directly battle them.

I'll have to take your word for it regarding the mentioned games there; I haven't played them. My issue isn't so much what you can do but when you can do it. I generally don't like games that have too many context-sensitive actions, that's all. I found the fighting to be satisfactory, for what it's worth.

I just think some people like to piss and moan for the sake of it.

If that's directed at me, you've misunderstood me. I already said I found the demo to be decent fun.

I really shouldn't have looked on ebay, there's sellers getting the US region free version in tomorrow and despite them charging £50 for it I'm tempted, yes I'm batshit insane. Damn it, why do I have to like Batman so much....... :(:hmm:

I really shouldn't have looked on ebay, there's sellers getting the US region free version in tomorrow and despite them charging £50 for it I'm tempted, yes I'm batshit insane. Damn it, why do I have to like Batman so much....... :(:hmm:

Oh well, mine will be here Friday at the latest ;) Same guy is selling a limited edition for 134 quid. I'll probably cane it over the weekend and sell it for thirty quid here or at NTSC.

I'm having rather too much fun messing with the goons in the final room of the demo. Sure, Batman is supposed make his enemies fear him, but is he supposed to enjoy it? :hmm:

I love their realistic conversations and reactions, along with the Joker mocking both you and the goons. It feels so awesome to kill a goon right behind another one, throw a Batarang at them to get their attention, and watch them realisticly react to the death of their team-mate, I even had one of them call the others over to check it out, and they were all freaking out. It was an awesome feeling, I can't wait for this game. I'm hoping that there are more occasions like this in the game and they don't only occur during that sequence.

I love their realistic conversations and reactions, along with the Joker mocking both you and the goons. It feels so awesome to kill a goon right behind another one, throw a Batarang at them to get their attention, and watch them realisticly react to the death of their team-mate, I even had one of them call the others over to check it out, and they were all freaking out. It was an awesome feeling, I can't wait for this game. I'm hoping that there are more occasions like this in the game and they don't only occur during that sequence.

Batman don't kill. :eyebrows:

Right ok, shame on me but I couldn't resist it, I ordered a copy off ebay to hopefully get this week.

And you know why ? Cause I love the goddamn batman that's why!

Exactly the same as me. Paid extra to get this tomorrow. Looks a great game though... Just got to explain this to the current Mrs T when it comes :eyebrows:

Mercy killing. And one* in 70 years doesn't really count, does it?

*I think it's one instance.

Batman used to be a cold mofo, but he hushes it up now. In the early days he even used to shoot crooks with the pistol he packed.

14ldp3.jpg

2ni2y3m.jpg

Modern Batman don't kill. ;)

Fixed!

It wasn't that way at the start, but he doesn't kill in the current continuity (there are probably a few exceptions due to accidents/ him being under the influence of something/someone etc people can cite)...

But pretty much, no he doesn't kill (or if he can save them, won't allow people to die as a result of fighting him - one of the big problems fans had with Begins was him not saving Ra's at the end)...