Batman: Arkham Asylum

Harsin

I don't know if there are any other ex-patty people living in Canada using the forum, but just in case, this is going to be $38 at all shops tomorrow (release date) due to a printing error in a Best Buy leaflet or something. Everyone has price matched it (EB Games, Future Shop, wherever) and Best Buy did not issue a correction, so tomorrow only you can get it for about 19 quid. You don't need a copy of the leaflet or anything, just walk into a shop tomorrow and it'll be that price.

Sorry if it's been touched on already, but was the demo really badly chosen or something? Because it felt extremely 6/10.

I didn't get along with the demo at all and I wouldn't buy it on the strength (weakness?) of that, but the same thing happened with Uncharted and I bloody loved the full game. I think I give up too quick with demos, I don't see the point of investing time in them so it's very rare that a game will sell itself to me on that alone. Mirror's Edge is the only recent game I can think of where the demo sold me the game.

I'll be buying Batman at some point purely on the enthusiasm, and by the time I get round to it perhaps the Internet Backlash will have started :(

Sorry if it's been touched on already, but was the demo really badly chosen or something? Because it felt extremely 6/10.

Remember the demo for Fear 2? Judgeth not by demo.

I liked the demo for this though because I am a batman nut, but I could also tell it was a simple representation of the game and didn't show everything.

Wouldn't be at all surprised to find out everyone gets the same code, like with the FUEL preorder bonuses.

I'm pretty certain this will be a downloable bonus and not just unlocked on the game disc, So you'll have to redeem a code on the marketplace rather than in the game. I.e. you won't just be able to copy a code posted on the net and get it. It'll be DLC within a month of the games release, like the ninja gaiden 2 skins.

I think...

I liked the demo for this though because I am a batman nut, but I could also tell it was a simple representation of the game and didn't show everything.

Not even close man, not even close. Nevermind that the full game is a Metroidvania game (amongst all the other genres it does so incredibly well), the demo was also pretty easy, linear, and straightforward compared to how the full game plays out. It's also one of the smallest areas in the game so far.

Nope. Demo was amazing if understandably slightly limited by the fact it was the beginning of the game.

Not exactly, the demo is different parts of the beginning spliced together. The full game starts much better, with a very atmospheric build-up both in terms of story and gameplay. If you loved the demo, you'll go batshit insane for the far superior full game.

Hmmm. I might have to buy this then. I'm just a little cautious since I also thought the demo was a 6 or 7 standard and I don't really care for Batman at all so that side of things doesn't hold much appeal.

I guess I'll just ask to anyone who has the game....how does the full game compare to the last room of the demo (where you have to take out the 4 thugs?) My main reservation has always been that the game would basically be that room over and over again but arranged a bit differently and with more enemies. Is there variation in both the gameplay scenarios and in the locations/setting? If all the asylum looks much of a muchness I might get bored.

Hmmm. I might have to buy this then. I'm just a little cautious since I also thought the demo was a 6 or 7 standard and I don't really care for Batman at all so that side of things doesn't hold much appeal.

I guess I'll just ask to anyone who has the game....how does the full game compare to the last room of the demo (where you have to take out the 4 thugs?) My main reservation has always been that the game would basically be that room over and over again but arranged a bit differently and with more enemies. Is there variation in both the gameplay scenarios and in the locations/setting? If all the asylum looks much of a muchness I might get bored.

The demo doesn't really give a huge amount of what the final game is about - it'd be like giving you a couple of corridors in a Metroid game and saying this is what the whole game is. It's actually a lot like Metroid - lots of exploration but with loads of cool Batman stuff to sweeten the deal.

Not getting this based on any opinion of the demo would be a big mistake. Huge.

I started the game again at one point on Saturday and

noticed the flask on Frankie's belt when I was zooming in while stood in the security scanner. Just before the Joker escapes - they show him taking a swig - I just love how it all fits together later with little details like that. The camera tilting slightly off 180 degrees when encountering Crane/Scarecrow for the first time - then when it swings from subtle to batshit insane when you have to actually 'fight' him.

:(

Not exactly, the demo is different parts of the beginning spliced together. The full game starts much better, with a very atmospheric build-up both in terms of story and gameplay. If you loved the demo, you'll go batshit insane for the far superior full game.

Yeah, it looked like there might be bits missing, what I meant was that it was obviously all from the beginning of the game and therefore doesn't show everything the game will eventually offer.

Its also worth noting that the last room in the demo actually offers quite a few different gameplay options that might not be obvious if you just play straight through the demo once.

Can't wait for it anyway, my CE version is awaiting packing at Game. Could be here by wednesday, can't wait.

This game is fucking brilliant, absolutely love it. Up there with Demon Souls and FEAR 2 as my personal favourites this year.

Just did a part where:

I was fighting about 20 goons and was in an area with separate floor sections which became electrified at different times. Just the ass kicking, moving to a different floor section and then more ass kicking in such a fluid way was a joy. Counter after counter, punch after punch, superb

You ARE the goddamn Batman :(

And still the game keeps getting better and better :( Awesome. Fuck Game of the Year, if this keeps up I'm nominating it for game of the goddamn decade.

I started the game again at one point on Saturday and

noticed the flask on Frankie's belt when I was zooming in while stood in the security scanner. Just before the Joker escapes - they show him taking a swig - I just love how it all fits together later with little details like that. The camera tilting slightly off 180 degrees when encountering Crane/Scarecrow for the first time - then when it swings from subtle to batshit insane when you have to actually 'fight' him.

:huh:

Yeah all those little details are so fucking amazing. Even the gameover screen in this game is awesome, for example

when you lose to Bane one of the (many) gameover sequences is Bane breaking Batman's back on his knee, just like in the comics. And depending on where you die, and in what point in the story, you get different gameover sequences. Almost makes it worth dying just to see them all

I don't even like Batman that much, but I am completely in love with this game. :D

WOw what a surprise this turned out to be . Reminds me of metriod / resi 4 / metal gear solid . The gameplay is ace , graphics and sound are fantastic . Maybe not " best game ever " but it's very very good . The developers have crammed in so much stuff - I'm not a big batman fan but this has got me hooked .

It's good to see all the positive comments about this game. As a youngster I was a huuuge Batman fan, so that should make the game so much better.

In fact, I was up in the loft yesterday digging out my old copies of Dark Knight Returns and Year One. Haven't read them in a decade or more but the hype for Batman: Arkham Asylum made me want to revisit them, and reading them now has made me want to get my hands on the game even more.

Come on Friday!

So glad to see the reactions and reviews coming in positive, especially such good impressions from people like Mr. Gerbik who shares most of my tastes. When I put the preorder down on this game about three months ago, the shop guy said something like "Well, you can if you like, don't think much of it from what I've seen" or something like that (which I hate, by the way, who the fuck asked you mate?) and when I went in the other day he was saying how good it is looking. Nowts changed but the buzz! This is the most I've been excited about a game launch in a while, at least since Yakuza 3, but that wasn't the same. I couldn't pick that up day one or anything. Can't think of the last game before this I've been so keen to pick up. GTAIV?

It's a bit sad but....but...I'm going to watch some Batman films tonight and I've actually bought a bottle of Glenlivet to see the occassion in tomorrow, plus I took the following day off for an all night session.,,

Gggrrr bloody Gameplay have messed up my order for the CE. Phoned to complain earlier that I'd received a cancellation notification which they claimed was an error on their part and they had already reallocated my copy. Swines :( going to have to rely on Amazon to deliver a standard copy on time now, roll on Friday!