rllmuk

Batman: Arkham Asylum

I've just met (biggish relatively early spoiler)

Scarecrow

. What a bloody brilliant, unexpected section! That was the moment I realised this was something special. I also love just fucking around and spooking guard through general badassery. My favourite 'kill' so far was blowing a hole in the floor, then when a guard came over to investigate and looked into the hole, I bataranged him, which knocked him into it and Ko'd him.

This game is one of the best games I've ever played, to this point. It's really pretty ambitious in the way it melds so many disparate types of gameplay (only one of which was really shown in the demo) into something new, and unlike most ambitious games it pulls off everything it tries to do so far.

Class. Or even 'Utter Brill Quality'. I have had to force myself to stop!

its quite good this. graphics are lovely and it plays really well. The joker is outstanding too. But the godamnn batman i find is a bit flat in places, some of his delivery just seems almost uninterested. It could be down to the bad facial animation on him tho, im not sure. The rest of the cast so far are great tho. Its a quality product but i have to laugh at the comparisons to half life 2 tho. I mean, seriously?? come on :quote:

One other thing i like is it seems far more burton-esque batman than the newer batmans. Thank god batma doesnt have stupid bale voice

i have to laugh at the comparisons to half life 2 tho. I mean, seriously?? come on :quote:

I don't know if I would compare this to HL2, I think it shares much more in common with other games like RE4 in its relentless variety and drip-feeding of set pieces. But are you laughing at the idea that it's as good in terms of quality? Because I'm probably enjoying this more than I did Half Life 2 the first time through. HL2 was one of those weird games where it became one of my favourites on reflection but I found many sections of it quite boring initially, particularly in the first half of the game. I haven't once been bored with this so far.

I don't know if I would compare this to HL2, I think it shares much more in common with other games like RE4 in its relentless variety and drip-feeding of set pieces. But are you laughing at the idea that it's as good in terms of quality? Because I'm probably enjoying this more than I did Half Life 2 the first time through. HL2 was one of those weird games where it became one of my favourites on reflection but I found many sections of it quite boring initially, particularly in the first half of the game. I haven't once been bored with this so far.

Indeed, Half Life 2 came together for me once I looked it all over, this has been magical and utterly superb for every single second it's been on.

Honestly, I sound mad and I realise I won't shut up about it, but it's so hard to remember a game experience where you didn't stop and notice a bad thing or get frustrated with any element of the game. So far the count is 0. ZERRRO

It's one of my fave games ever just on how strongly the game design is linked together with the lore and world, it's been combined perfectly.

Honestly, I sound mad and I realise I won't shut up about it, but it's so hard to remember a game experience where you didn't stop and notice a bad thing or get frustrated with any element of the game. So far the count is 0. ZERRRO

Yep. I always try to balance out my impressions on a game but it's obvious I'm reaching when I'm saying stuff like 'I'd like the batarang to be more powerful.' Just to show I'm not afraid of admitting mistakes, here's a quote I made after playing the demo

Basically a budget purchase or rental, certainly not something I'd be rushing out day 1 for.

eating_crow.jpg

OHHHHH YEAAAAAAA!!!!! Just got all 240 riddles! In the end I was searching a large section of the island for about 30mins frantically looking and listening for just one of those teeth things :quote:

Does anything special happens if you get all of 'em? I'm going to try and get every riddle either way but it'd be nice to see my efforts rewarded.

I have to keep playing this in chunks, because I become overwhelmed with how insanely well this is made. I honestly can't believe it.

This is want I want to do. But it's like crack. I just keep on playing. Not since Resi 4 (there it is again) has a game sucked me in this much. So many cool moments that I lost track. The presentation and polish is second to none. From the pause screen, to the upgrade art, to the voice tapes, the trophies, rogue gallery and game over screen, it's all classy as hell.

I'm becoming better at the combos as well, there's some truly wicked stuff in there. Leg twists, dive bombing an enemy with your knees, throws, Jason Bourne-style flurries of punches... And beating someone with a lead pipe never gets boring. Same with the ledge takedown. :quote:

So many little touches as well...

Like wanting to enter a door and seeing Killer Kroc on the other side bashing the glass in

Love it.

Fuck it, I'm going to start a new file this weekend me thinks and play through it again. I should probably do it on hard but I'll more than likely go for normal again as I'm crap at seeing counters :D

That does lead to one complaint though, no New Game +, an oversight there Rocksteady, I want to be breaking limbs at the start of the game :quote:

Does anything special happens if you get all of 'em? I'm going to try and get every riddle either way but it'd be nice to see my efforts rewarded.

Something yes but nothing worth finding them all other than achievements or trophies etc

I'd say that this is overall a better made game than Mario Galaxy so far, but Mario Galaxy was so fucking magical and charming I can't help but like it more. :quote:

This is excellence so far though, I'm on the

Poisen Ivy plant boss battle

and it's giving me quite a heap of trouble. However, the first thing it reminded me of was that giant plant boss from Twilight Princess in the first forest temple. They're nearly identical, this is much more difficult though.

I'd say that this is overall a better made game than Mario Galaxy so far, but Mario Galaxy was so fucking magical and charming I can't help but like it more. :D

This is excellence so far though, I'm on the

Poisen Ivy plant boss battle

and it's giving me quite a heap of trouble. However, the first thing it reminded me of was that giant plant boss from Twilight Princess in the first forest temple. They're nearly identical, this is much more difficult though.

You might want to edit your spoiler tags. :quote:

A suggestion for that boss:

If you're not already, use the single, quick fire Batarang and it becomes ten times easier than if you're using multiples which need recharge time.

Well, finished it now and done all 240 riddles, just the challenge maps left to go. Absolutely loved it from start to finish, with the possible exception of the

groups of enemies with Titan backup

as I just got a little overwhelmed, though

watching the Titans go charging through a group of enemies

is highly amusing. Will probably go through on Hard for the achievement, quick question though, does it just remove the button press prompts or the actual counter warning flash over an enemy's head? The first wouldn't be all that bad, the second would be rather nasty.

I think I'll start it again in the morning.

I never, ever do that with anything.

Yeah man, I've got a mate down and we played a big chunk of this tonight, but he doesn't play games like I do, it seems! I need to do the start again and proper get into it :)

Loving it, really well made bit of gaming ;) my only gripes so far have been getting a bit lost sometimes (but I think that's mainly due to playing it with somebody and not paying attention properly) and the lol-'cutscenes' where you talk to rubbish npcs... why do they use that stupid locked camera and shitty canned animations?! Brings me out of the game a little.

I think someone may have said this already, but this is this gen's Resi4 for me atm :) Super fun!

Just beat this beast, what a silly ending to a great game. The final battle was really underwhelming and absolutely ridiculous (Not in a necessarily good way, either), but in the end the game was great. A lot of great games these days are starting to have disappointing final sections the way I see it. Bioshock, Super Mario Galaxy, now this. Ah well, the rest of the game was great and I'm still going into challenge mode and looking for the remaining riddles, so I'm not putting this down just yet. I'm also going to probably beat it on hard for the achievement and for the sake of just being able to play this game again because it was so good.

So this is really fucking AWESOME. I'm about 30% through and at about 25%, the fighting suddenly clicked with me, and I've gone from mostly kicking ass to clearing an entire room of varied bad guys in one unbroken combo.Jesus, that's a lot of fun. I'm fucking Batman. And the Scarecrow bits are pretty cool, and the Riddler stuff is OK, and the stealth I'm slowly getting to grips with.

AWESOME.

No way, in terms of quality AA is definitely up with the best, its a quality package. I mean even tho id never heard of this crock guy before, seeing him in the intro getting out of that lift i was literally like "*GULP*, i have to fight that?!" ;)

No i was just laughing at the HL2 comparisions just because, for me, HL2 is a genre defining game, a real perfect storm of a game where you play it and you just know youve never played anything like this before, and it makes every shooter you played before it suddenly seem redundant (at least it did back in 2004), whereas so far im findign AA to be a highly enjoyable beat em up and not much more

My first play lasted about 9 hours yesterday..... ;)

I'm really enjoying the combat which can initially come across as a button basher, but as the game went on I could see it's really more than that!

Question:

I have just locked up Harley Quinn and seem to have only the gardens left to explore on my map....it is almost over??

:)

My percentage completion in only 36% though...

Holy fuck!

I just 'became' young Bruce.

That scene was incredible. Im one of those batman readers who is really fed up of every new comic/film/cartoon constantly dealing with

his parents death all the time. We all know about it, and dont need to constantly see it again and again

but the way this game did it was fantastic- and really well worked. And i cant believe someone actually just pulled that off in a game. Incredible stuff.

Question:

I have just locked up Harley Quinn and seem to have only the gardens left to explore on my map....it is almost over??

;)

Nah. There's at least another 3+hours from their depending how you play.

Well I just completed it (just over 70% Riddle Token, which I haven't really been massively looking for) and it took about 10 hours.

It's a good game, but I don't think the second half is nearly as consistently great the first. The enemies/environments change for the worse. There's also not enough of the Silent Knight/Predator rooms. Shame. The endings a bit...curt...too.

If they release more and more Challenge rooms (especially the pred ones) I'll be happy.

Now - do I clean up this game and unlock more challenges, or restart on hard?