IGNORED

Danny Boyle's Slumdog Millionaire

Goose

I really like the idea of this and it's an interesting change of pace from Boyle's previous two films (Sunshine and Millions). It's the story of Jamal Malik, an orphan from the slums of Mumbai who manages to get onto the Indian version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire. Having gotten to the final round, the show cuts for the day and the police promptly arrest Malik, accuses him of cheating somehow, based on the fact that he's a slum kid with no formal education so must some how have cheated.

The film then switches to flashback as Malik explains how through a series of adventures, he does know the answers but perhaps winning the million prize isn't really the reason he's on the show....

The film is based on the best selling novel "Q&A" by Vikas Swarup and is scheduled to be released on November 28th, 2008 and will have its world premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival. I imagine we'll see a trailer any time now, but for the moment we've got a couple of stills.

slumdogmillionaire2.jpg

slumdogmillionaire3.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I picked this as a family Christmas Eve movie by the great reviews [93% on rottentomatoes] and the fact I knew none of us had had seen it including myself. It was by far the hit of the evening.

Danny Boyle hasent made anything this great and affecting since Trainspotting. It is at times brutal and harrowing so maybe not the best choice for younger children but anyone 12 and up is in for a treat. I set my expectations somewhat low as its a film starring one of the kids from Skins and centered around Who Want To Be a Millionaire but it was a fantastic treat. It really should come across as mawkish or sentimental but never does. Instead it thunders along a childhood to adulthood story of two Indian orphan brothers and the lost love of one of them.

I'm sure they are going to be throwing Oscar nominations at this and for good reason. It has amazing direction, editing and performances and if you were worried about a Sunshine\28 Days Later style drop off in the final third don't worry as the tension builds and builds to an ending which is beautiful and incredibly moving. The last few mins are up there with the most memorable moments of any film this year.

It does help somewhat that Freida Pinto is heart-stoppingly gorgeous but its a great Christmas watch for anyone and the DVD screener is floating about now.

Got hold of a screener copy and wow what a great film. Got to say the child actors are just astonishingly good so natural none of the forced mawkishness that i'm used to from other films. Also the film was surprisingly dark, a few scenes really surprised me by their brutality especially one heartbreaking one involving a singing kid.

But overall a fantastic movie which is obviously going to do very well and the final 15 mins are some of the most tensest i've had watching a movie for a while.

It is a real gem. My better half even said it was the best movie she'd ever seen.

I'm with you about Garland. I know the guy's a videogame addict and most of them have shit endings, but that's no excuse.

Do kinda feel that Danny Boyle only did 28 Days Later & Sunshine because he still felt guilty about The Beach turning out like a big pile of shit. I did hear though that it was Leo who fucked it up and not the director.

It is a real gem. My better half even said it was the best movie she'd ever seen.

I'm with you about Garland. I know the guy's a videogame addict and most of them have shit endings, but that's no excuse.

Do kinda feel that Danny Boyle only did 28 Days Later & Sunshine because he still felt guilty about The Beach turning out like a big pile of shit. I did hear though that it was Leo who fucked it up and not the director.

What brings you to that conclusion? I reckon everybody involved in the Beach made some pretty dodgy choices right from the word go.

What brings you to that conclusion? I reckon everybody involved in the Beach made some pretty dodgy choices right from the word go.

Yeah, but consider this. On set, who had the most clout? It wasn't Danny Boyle, Alex Garland, producer Andrew Macdonald or even that French actress that Leo wanted to fuck both on and off screen.

Looking back, Cillian Murphy would have made a much better lead actor. But he wasn't box office. A bankable star is how you get a major studio like 20th Century Fox to greenlight your film. Sad but true.

I watched it a couple of days ago and still I am blown away. It all starts as a disgusting, shocking, sad story and develops into a great movie about... you know, love and destiny. Sounds unspectacular, but it really is a moving story. There is just one funny scene in it, where the guy tries to fake a British accent - but that one is hilarious. A wonderful movie.

"Q&A", the book the film is based on, was serialised on Radio 4 earlier in the year.

I thought it was so fucking charming, and just wonderful, that I pleaded with the skies that it wasn't made into a film and completely fucked with.

But it's nice to hear Danny Boyle got his mits on it. And I've read in a few places that his portrayal of Mumbai is far more realistic than any other film that's been set there.

So yeah. But I still feel it might be a DVD-er.