The Dark Knight Rises - Summer 2012 - New Trailer Post #1230

Goose

The way you write about these films seems to suggest some sort of compromise on Nolan's part. As though maybe he's cut a lot of the fun out in pursuit of realism. I'd say it's quite the opposite. The realism gives Batman's awesome skill and dedication a chance to shine.

The only problem i have with the realism is when Nolan does relent to it being a comic book movie and throw in things like giant microwaves, mobile phone sonars and funny voices to otherwise serious looking criminals. Those things stand out against that backdrop and make it all look a bit silly. For me, it does feel like compromise of some sort, not for being unlike Avengers, but it feels like Nolan uses batman to get the budget to make setpieces he wants to make, but at the end he would rather be the director to have made Heat.

Do you really imagine Nolan would like to have made Heat? Maybe you're just latching on to a lazy shallow comparison made by some people who, self consciously were possibly a little desperate to imbue TDK with some sort of legitimacy. As for possibly suspect gadgetry and voices that you find funny, if they are enough to interrupt your suspension of disbelief, you may want to avoid films about men that dress as animals to fight crime.

I agree with Timbuktu to be honest. For me the Dark Knight movie walked the line so finely between reality and comic book that a few times it stepped over it and the illusion shattered. Watching this trailer I was loving the build up, the music, the bubbling tension and melancholy vibe, but then as soon as we see Batman it just looks ludicrous. Burtons Batman managed to capture Waynes conflicts and personal issues, while retaining a comic book feel and has always been more successful for me. The less said about when Bale speaks the better.

I really don't understand why Batman looks ludicrous to you against a sober background. To me that's the point. If everything else is visually spinning out of control, it deadens the Bat's impact. I think this is why I'm one of the few that prefer Year One and The Long Halloween over The Dark Knight returns. Everything's a little too outlandish so when Batman turns up it's kinda like "so what?"

Tim Burton's Batman was good at the time but I found Returns to be a gaudy mess. The penguins with bombs on their backs, the giant duck vehicle, the circus baddies.

What's comic book feel? As Harsin said up there, comics are a medium, not a genre.

This post was brought to you by the numbers; 3 and 37 and the letters A, M and ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

I really don't understand why Batman looks ludicrous to you against a sober background. To me that's the point. If everything else is visually spinning out of control, it deadens the Bat's impact. I think this is why I'm one of the few that prefer Year One and The Long Halloween over The Dark Knight returns. Everything's a little too outlandish so when Batman turns up it's kinda like "so what?"

Tim Burton's Batman was good at the time but I found Returns to be a gaudy mess. The penguins with bombs on their backs, the giant duck vehicle, the circus baddies.

What's comic book feel? As Harsin said up there, comics are a medium, not a genre.

This post was brought to you by the numbers; 3 and 37 and the letters A, M and ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Yeah see I like the sound of that, but in reality it just doesnt work for me. I think its mainly the voice, but also the costume. I just dont buy the character. Every time Bats spoke in TDK I cringed. A lot of the people in the cinema with me laughed. Abeds impression in Community is more imitation than parody, so bad is it.

I'll bow out now cos I know TDK is a sacred cow, but for me it was great for most of the scenes that didnt include the bat (not that awful fucking stuff on the ships though)

Yeah see I like the sound of that, but in reality it just doesnt work for me. I think its mainly the voice, but also the costume. I just dont buy the character. Every time Bats spoke in TDK I cringed. A lot of the people in the cinema with me laughed. Abeds impression in Community is more imitation than parody, so bad is it.

I'll bow out now cos I know TDK is a sacred cow, but for me it was great for most of the scenes that didnt include the bat (not that awful fucking stuff on the ships though)

I actually agree with a lot of this. His voice was too much. I don't know how that got by. Only one person working on it had to say "A little much maybe." I really love TDK but (to me) it's no sacred cow, nothing is. If people really like something it's utterly stupid to get bent out of shape when someone suggests flaws. And the ships? I'd definitely like to have seen that part made with a subtler hand.

Totally. It didn't particularly stand out as silly in BB. He would talk to people in a cool gravelly whisper. Then he did the "Swear to me!" which was great. It seemed like a calculated use of a tool to instill fear, to grow the myth. Then in TDK we hear him say "I'm not wearing hockey pads." and I think it's gone too far. It seems toned down for Rises and I really hope that's the case.

I find Bane's new voice extremely unsettling with a great haunting quality too. I liked the first version of the voice also, but the adjustment doesn't seem to have affected it for the worse (from the very limited amount I have heard). There's potential for this to become a truly memorable villain in terms of the Batman movies.. really looking forward to seeing it.

Batman stars in Christopher Nolan's sequel to Batman 1 and Batman 2. He's frightened that the world will figure out he meant to dress up as a cricket bat so enlists the help of Bane's sister, Bain Marie, to scald the evil Harvey 'dual face' Dent.

With his throat horse from a night in the latest Goth club 'Gothland City' he plays out an heroic scene narrated by Gary Oldman during the cheese course of the annual police hero declaration dinner. Unfortunately the Joker has died so who else will blow up boats and hospitals? Why it's the count from sesame street. Droopy from Batman 2 falls in love with an older Carter and Batman has to travel to Hawaii to learn to be a priest in order to marry the happy couple. On his way hilarious consequences and Morgan Freeman.

The End.

It's been a while since I've watched TDK but when Wayne crashes the lam-bo-ghee-ni to save Mr Reese, wasn't that under a monorail track?

No, it was under an elevated train track. Nolan really did scale back on Gotham's "otherness" for TDK. There's a fantastic shot of it from the air in BB as Wayne is returning in the jet with Alfred and it looks sprawling and weird and all lovely in the light, with a huge portion of it jutting out into the water. In TDK it's just Chicago.

I know no-one likes Superman Returns, but one of the things that Routh got right was the voice for both Clark and Supes. Keaton also did a great job with his Bats voice being very different from his Bruce one, but without being totally over the top like Bale in TDK.

Kilmer was ok, but Clooney didnt change his at all!

If Bruce Wayne wasn't wearing the Batsuit these could be Bond films. But he is, so there.

It's a shame, in a way, that Bale did the Batman films- he had stated in interviews, way before Batman Begins, that he really wanted to play James Bond. The mix of psychotic Patrick Bateman with the physicality of Batman would have made him an excellent Bond- in the books Bond basically was a psycho.

There's no way he'll be Bond now..... unless Skyfall bombs and they look to reboot it all with Nolan at the helm. Here's wishing....