Jump to content

The Dark Knight Rises - Summer 2012 - New Trailer Post #1230


Recommended Posts

Counterpoint: it's a hot, sloppy mess that homages several classic stories then examines and takes the concept places few comic writers ever have the balls to go, and with many thematically interesting points that tend to get overlooked by people looking for something more straightforward. Of course the danger with that wishing for that kind of thing can be clearly shown by how all the protests about Superman not punching enough things in Superman Returns lead to said protesters getting exactly the kind of Superman film they deserved with Snyder's Man of Total Fucking Destruction.

I bloody love Superman Returns :) . It's quite possibly because it reuses some of the original soundtrack and Brando voiceover, but I thought it's a great piece of work.

That said, after seeing the original Superman last night when it was on the box, I still can't think of a better Superhero film than that one...absolute classic.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 years later...
2 hours ago, Haribokart said:

I want to hear @Floshenbarnical’s opinions on this film.


It’s a fucking mess. It’s one of the most “third movie” movies ever, alongside movies like the heap of squelchy, sloppy turds that is Skyfall. It’s more hole than plot. It comes across like they came up with a bunch of cool set-piece scenes and then wrote a story around them and didn’t think it through very well. I’m not saying it’s without merit but the merit is camouflaged extremely well. 

  • Upvote 5
  • Empathy 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Floshenbarnical said:


It’s a fucking mess. It’s one of the most “third movie” movies ever, alongside movies like the heap of squelchy, sloppy turds that is Skyfall. It’s more hole than plot. It comes across like they came up with a bunch of cool set-piece scenes and then wrote a story around them and didn’t think it through very well. I’m not saying it’s without merit but the merit is camouflaged extremely well. 


I’m not sure the set-pieces are even there tbh. 
 

That big fight at the end where they made a big deal of getting all those extras but they just run at all the guns. Then Batman appears in a boring mid-shot and just walks up to Bane in broad daylight. No theatrics or nothing. The whole sequence is so flat.
 

Saying that though: First fight with Bane, Sewer approach with Catwoman and the stock exchange heist were class.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hardy's Bane is the only reason I return to this and that's for pure comedy value. 

 

It's a deeply, deeply flawed film on so many levels. 

 

That said, I won't hear any whining about how Bruce gets back into Gotham.

 

He's Batman. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Taliah was was put into the pit as a child. Let's say she was 8 years old ( probably younger). Bane, who let's say was 20 then, looked after her.

 

She is now high up on the boards of Wayne Enterprises. Let's say, very charitably, that she's managed to do that by the age of 35.

 

Given the very generous timeframes I've laid out there, which are actually pretty unrealistic, Bane is at least 47. He's likely a lot older than that.

 

This film is truly stinking with plot holes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:


I’m not sure the set-pieces are even there tbh. 
 

That big fight at the end where they made a big deal of getting all those extras but they just run at all the guns. Then Batman appears in a boring mid-shot and just walks up to Bane in broad daylight. No theatrics or nothing. The whole sequence is so flat.
 

Saying that though: First fight with Bane, Sewer approach with Catwoman and the stock exchange heist were class.


Right but 1) that’s not how the stock exchange works 2) Bruce would not have had every single asset tied up in it 3) it’s broad daylight when they leave but midnight when they get halfway down the fucking street. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've not had any inclination to revisit this after seeing it in the cinema the first time. There's a whole lot of "that doesn't make any sense"; too much, in fact.

 

I couldn't see how Gotham would be left to turn into some Escape From New York hellhole.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:


 

That big fight at the end where they made a big deal of getting all those extras but they just run at all the guns. Then Batman appears in a boring mid-shot and just walks up to Bane in broad daylight. No theatrics or nothing. The whole sequence is so flat

 

 

I've watched all three over the last week and this is exactly what I was thinking as the sequence begins. I was expecting to see the camera crew and everyone else getting stuck in around him it was so dull. Reminded me of a nightclub scene from a soap where it's obviously a load of extras pissing about unconvincingly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

That big fight at the end where they made a big deal of getting all those extras but they just run at all the guns. Then Batman appears in a boring mid-shot and just walks up to Bane in broad daylight. No theatrics or nothing. The whole sequence is so flat.

 

tenor.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Floshenbarnical said:


Right but 1) that’s not how the stock exchange works 2) Bruce would not have had every single asset tied up in it 3) it’s broad daylight when they leave but midnight when they get halfway down the fucking street. 


Yeah but I can overlook the 1) stuff quite easy as it’s just typical Hollywood nonsense. 


2) is a bit harder to but some shots do look like dusk when they leave and IIRC the bell goes when Bane arrives? Yeah I know it’s a stretch, but the acting from Hardy in that scene and then the chase after is still great fun so it makes it easier to ignore some shoddy continuity.
 

It’s a shame though because the two movies that came before it, you didn’t have to overlook anything really to have a good time. Whereas DKR needed the same “just turn your brain off” forgiveness filter that you had to take with you to watch the Star Wars prequels.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I still love the film. 

 

Buy only because Bane is brilliant and hilarious. 

 

Although whenever he is on screen all I can think of is the Auralnauts video. 

 

"GARY? PIZZA?, BUT GOTHAM ISNT EVEN KNOWN FOR IT!"

  • Upvote 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

"A bagel with creeaaam cheeese...?"

 

Edit - I make my wife a bagel and cream cheese for breakfast most work days and I have a little chuckle to myself about that line every time.

  • Upvote 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mansizerooster said:

Taliah was was put into the pit as a child. Let's say she was 8 years old ( probably younger). Bane, who let's say was 20 then, looked after her.

 

She is now high up on the boards of Wayne Enterprises. Let's say, very charitably, that she's managed to do that by the age of 35.

 

Given the very generous timeframes I've laid out there, which are actually pretty unrealistic, Bane is at least 47. He's likely a lot older than that.

 

This film is truly stinking with plot holes.

She could easily be 31 and Bane early 40s. The Rock is 48.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, George Clooney said:

The best thing about this is the Bane from the new Harley Quinn cartoon has the retro look but the voice from Hardys take, and its amazing;

 

 

 

Ok, I think I will watch this now lol 

 

Where can I watch it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:


Yeah but I can overlook the 1) stuff quite easy as it’s just typical Hollywood nonsense. 


2) is a bit harder to but some shots do look like dusk when they leave and IIRC the bell goes when Bane arrives? Yeah I know it’s a stretch, but the acting from Hardy in that scene and then the chase after is still great fun so it makes it easier to ignore some shoddy continuity.
 

It’s a shame though because the two movies that came before it, you didn’t have to overlook anything really to have a good time. Whereas DKR needed the same “just turn your brain off” forgiveness filter that you had to take with you to watch the Star Wars prequels.


They rob it when it opens, in the morning

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ry said:

 

Ok, I think I will watch this now lol 

 

Where can I watch it?

 

First series was on All 4, or whatever channel 4's on demand service is called. Watched it all about a month ago and it's great. Love Bane in it 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.