IGNORED

Football Manager 2009

redbloodcell

I'm underwhelmed. The match engine is actually a big enough disappointment in 3D to put me off - graphically it's sub par and after all the bleating about how they'd only introduce 3D when the technology could do it justice, they've turned up with something that could have been done years ago.

That's not to say it's horrid or anything. It's serviceable, and still preferable to blobs (as much as I loved the blobs) but it looks even more soulless than before. Underneath it all SI still have the best football AI ever, I just wish that they had a veneer to match it.

The lack of new leagues means I've little reason to get it just yet. Perhaps in February when it's cheaper and patched up a touch, I'll give it a whirl. Until then it's NSS4 all the way!

Also, I've actually got more interest in the new CM, which looks smart and features the lower leagues I've been clamouring for for years. A new demo to look forward to.

I'm overwhelmed. For the first time in years the demo has been good enough to make me buy a FM game.

The 3D isn't great, sure, but it's better than the previous display, and I don't remember the press/player/market interaction being anywhere near this good before. Having an awful lot of fun ;)

Has there been a non-SI CM game that wasn't just hilariously bad yet?

Crikey, that match engine is pretty horrible, isn't it? It looks awful and if anything just hightlights the bizarre AI, what with players standing around, having a turning-circle greater than a tanker and having very strange running-animation.

And I think it has now gone overboard on stuff to do and look at. There's too much to study and digest, and if you want to make use of the live-feedback during a game you're going to be constantly pausing and adjusting, and games will take forever. Part of the beauty of the good-old days of CM was that you could get very good with only a small amount of tinkering; now there are just so many variables to consider it takes a lot of time and patience to get good and enjoy it. Sadly it looks like FM is no longer for me, and it looks like FM07 is the last title I'll buy.

Shame.

Crikey, that match engine is pretty horrible, isn't it? It looks awful and if anything just hightlights the bizarre AI, what with players standing around, having a turning-circle greater than a tanker and having very strange running-animation.

And I think it has now gone overboard on stuff to do and look at. There's too much to study and digest, and if you want to make use of the live-feedback during a game you're going to be constantly pausing and adjusting, and games will take forever. Part of the beauty of the good-old days of CM was that you could get very good with only a small amount of tinkering; now there are just so many variables to consider it takes a lot of time and patience to get good and enjoy it. Sadly it looks like FM is no longer for me, and it looks like FM07 is the last title I'll buy.

Shame.

Football Manager Live!

Football Manager Live!

I don't have the time or inclination to devote to an online-title, sadly, plus it doesn't really appeal. I still have FM07 that I dip in-and-out of every once in a while, and that suits me these days. It seems all SI have done is padded-things out even more (press conferences are dull and don't add a great deal I find, as out of all the questions asked one arbitrary one will be picked and used to affect team confidence), matches take longer to get through if you want to achieve anything, and the long-awaiting 3D-engine is really shocking to look at and, as I say above, shows the AI-up for being a bit strange, and *lessens* the realism when you see a player standing still for a few seconds with nobody moving.

*sigh* Maybe I'll check out FIFA Manager instead, that might be a bit less of a time-sink?

I think Gabes got pretty much the same point of view on FM as myself.

However, I have purchased FM09. For 20quid so its not exactly a major punt I'm taking there. The first patch, which is meant to be available the day of release, has to fix a seriously large number of flaws. Beyond this the game looks somewhat ugly and I consider the UI a complete mess.

FM07, patched up, with a new database and community skin (Flex) has been great to me, excellent game. I skipped 08 due to them not fixing a key bug, well, that and the fact it didnt seem much of a leap. FM09 therefore appears to offer a lot of new features I'd like to see in FM07, order was placed.

The demo has shown some of that old FM magic, but its just so unprofessional in terms of presentation at times (especially the matches) that I'm seriously starting to wonder what the future of FM holds. It's a game designed by programmers busy implementing features, and I mean that in the kindest way. The first patch will enable me to discover whether I'll be going back to 07 or staying on for the new ride.

The 3D wasn't amazing, but I think they've waited more to make sure everything is tight and taught and working rather than making it look like FIFA.

Should be here tmrw for me!

Did anyone else pre-order from Play.com? You get a personalised sleeve but I presume the emails won't be sent until after the release?

I think Gabes got pretty much the same point of view on FM as myself.

However, I have purchased FM09. For 20quid so its not exactly a major punt I'm taking there. The first patch, which is meant to be available the day of release, has to fix a seriously large number of flaws. Beyond this the game looks somewhat ugly and I consider the UI a complete mess.

Where is doing it for £20?

I downloaded the demo, which is the first FM i've ever played after being a bit of a CM addict but never really getting round to playing FM. I like it. There is so much to do but you can always skip it. You can send your assistant to press conferences etc. On the other hand the giving compliments to rival players you want to sign is good. I am now one of Micah Richards' favourite people. :)

One thing that does seem messed up are the injuries. I seem to get one every single game. Are Arsenal just the most injury prone team ever or is the game at fault?

The injuries is one of the main bugs that should be ironed out with the release patch.

*sigh* Maybe I'll check out FIFA Manager instead, that might be a bit less of a time-sink?

More so, from what I played. I was criticised by a player for not talking to him for two weeks, and the menus are a bit of a farce.

It looks pretty though.

I still play CM01/02 and I dont think that will ever change.

I'm still playing 00/01, and I can't see myself stopping. There's so much to try - non-league, foreign leagues... I tried 2007 but couldn't get on with it, so they'll have to wheel out something spectacular to make me upgrade...

The 3D wasn't amazing, but I think they've waited more to make sure everything is tight and taught and working rather than making it look like FIFA.

My problem is that they've failed in that respect. The animation is poor and bears only a passing relation to what's actually supposed to be going on under the hood. Goalkeepers in particular are laughable with their shoddy attempts at diving and their bizarre hovering across their own goal-line.

I'll give it the benefit of the doubt though but things really need to improve for future versions.

Should be here tmrw for me!

And you won't be able to play it until midnight because of the retarded DRM.

I've enjoyed the demo so far, well apart from having my team wiped out due to the over the top injuries all the time. But I think I might wait till the new year. I'm guessing there'll be another patch after the one on release as they always is which will sort some problems out and make the game better overall.

I quite the 3D engine which I said I wouldn't use. It better than the 2D engine in that it shows height of the ball a lot clearer. Its not perfect but I think its perfectly acceptable and a lot better than what I thought it was going to be.

If they can iron out the bugs and get it all sorted for around January time then I'll pick it up I think.

Thing is, in real life football there's something like 2 injuries per game. The problem is balancing the seriousness of them, and not having it affect gameplay. Because you can look towards realism all you want, but CM/FM have never been that realistic really.

To not spot this is pretty shoddy to be honest.

Thing is, in real life football there's something like 2 injuries per game. The problem is balancing the seriousness of them, and not having it affect gameplay. Because you can look towards realism all you want, but CM/FM have never been that realistic really.

To not spot this is pretty shoddy to be honest.

2 injuries a game which require physio treatment are fair enough but in the demo I am getting one proper injury every game where the player is out for a month or something. Shocking.

2 injuries a game which require physio treatment are fair enough but in the demo I am getting one proper injury every game where the player is out for a month or something. Shocking.

Yes, that's the thing - the seriousness of the injuries.

It should be something very, very easy to fix. Strange that it happened to be honest.

The 3D engine really is ghastly, both in terms of presentation and immersion, for me at least. Reading the Eurogamer review was interesting, though; it's almost an apologists' piece. The reader comments are generally quite negative, too, and this one made me think:

Football manager has always been a game where you wait until the january transfer window patch... by then it becomes a far more enjoyable game. I think the problem they have is that they have to release a game every year... which means they never have the full development time to fully flesh out each feature from the initial release; as mentioned the 2d engine took a couple of itterations to get right, and I'm sure the 3d one will be the same. I didn't much like it; amount of times the player on the ball would just stand still completely. I'm sure its trying to simulate someone looking around to make a pass, but the representation of that was horrible.

I think he's right insomuch as SI now have this November release-window they have to hit, so some features aren't getting the time they require (although I believe they started work on the 3D engine a good couple of years ago, and look how that has turned-out!). But the problem is that it is now taken for granted that they can release something severely-bugged on the promise that a patch will be there, day one; almost like it's *our* fault they couldn't get it done on time, and that-kind of attitude pisses me off as a consumer. This guy knows what I mean:

How about Sports Interactive come round and shit on my wife, just so's I am sure exactly how little respect they have for someone who has shelled out on day one for all their games.

As for the new features and stuff, did anybody enjoy the press conferences after about the 3rd one? How long did it take you to roughly play 1 match, from the pre-match talk to the post-match bit?

What other *desired* features have been implemented this year, that add something to the game?

Disciple is right about it not being real, as I always used to say on the SI forums when people moaned about the transfer system. I've always found that it's a massive oversight that if you have an unhappy player, you can only do something about it when he talks to the press! Being able to interact with players at any point would be far more beneficial than a pointless press-conference.

The 3D engine really is ghastly, both in terms of presentation and immersion, for me at least. Reading the Eurogamer review was interesting, though; it's almost an apologists' piece. The reader comments are generally quite negative, too, and this one made me think:

When you build up a lot of good grace in the press you'll go far...

I think he's right insomuch as SI now have this November release-window they have to hit, so some features aren't getting the time they require (although I believe they started work on the 3D engine a good couple of years ago, and look how that has turned-out!). But the problem is that it is now taken for granted that they can release something severely-bugged on the promise that a patch will be there, day one; almost like it's *our* fault they couldn't get it done on time, and that-kind of attitude pisses me off as a consumer. This guy knows what I mean:

Champ Man, for all it's troubled recent history, have again looked at the quality of their title and pushed it back until next year. Which means 2x longer cycles to hit October/November 2010 I believe?

Disciple is right about it not being real, as I always used to say on the SI forums when people moaned about the transfer system. I've always found that it's a massive oversight that if you have an unhappy player, you can only do something about it when he talks to the press! Being able to interact with players at any point would be far more beneficial than a pointless press-conference.

The thing is it shouldn't be real, it doesn't need to be. Indeed the transfer system is important - the core of the game is your player management...buying new ones, getting the best out of the old ones, finding young stars. When the january transfer window came in it felt wrong at first; we've adjusted, but it just goes to show how important the player management is.

I think you can talk to players at any time in Champ Man, btw :(

I still like FIFA and the look of FIFA. I want to give this years version a blast. People may hammer the UI, but the FM one isnt' particularly intuitive!

Anyone else tried the psp one yet? I literally have played FMH 2008 every day for the last year and to be honest 2009 seems identical in every way!!! The only noticeable difference is that the teams are up to date and you can view the game with the old pc style highlights of dots on the pitch. No joke!!

Pretty gutted as was expecting a lot more changes, thought that they may have included some of the media stuff and press conferencing of the pc game but its not to be!

Anyone know if there are any significant changes that i havent noticed or is this the most ridiculous update to a game ever?

Um, as far as I'm concerned that's the biggest update FM Handheld has ever received. The first game was fine if basic, 2007 was quite literally more of the same, to the extent that I didn't even buy 2008. I grabbed a download (my word, it is tiny!) to give it a whirl and it's practically identical save for some updated tactical fiddling.

2009 has a 2D pitch which, if it's as good as the PC one, will hugely add to my enjoyment of the game as I get a lot of kicks out of making my side play beautiful attacking football. It also has the ability to have more than one country's league running so you can actually move around, although this is unfortunately limited to top flights only. Still, it's a necessary step forward.

Seems like loads of people are having problems activating this now with SoftAnchor. Totally useless shit this when the activation isn't even working. Luckilly for me I bought it last night (stuck in a queue for COD5 at ASDA though - didn't realise that was out) and activated it no problem, apart from the fact that 0 and O is exactly the same. See:

3028118710_f04d50ffdb.jpg

So I've started a game with Arsenal, and I'm finding it quite hard at the moment. Play 6 with 4 draws, a win and a defeat, and Aguero has been playing crap. I've got Stoke now so hopefully that's another 3 points!

Was going to skip this for a year, but just heard that it will be on sale at my clubs game tomorrow for £12.50. So as I watch Southport in the cold it may be too much to resist that price. I think Sega donate a huge bunch to the non-league clubs and the clubs get to keep any sales cash. Been £15 in the past, but £12.50 may be too little to turn down

Will be waiting for the Mac patch though