rllmuk
Stigweard

Official Mixed Martial Arts Thread

5 hours ago, schmojo said:

There wasn't a high ranking HW in the UFC at the time that Cain didn't beat, really. 

Overeem. That's one fight I always longed for. 

That would have been ace, assuming it was űbereem ;)

3 mma folk in a row on JRE, Josh Thomson, Kamaru Usman then Frankie Edgar.

Probably because Rogan has got into a public war of words with Stephen A Smith. One of those incredibly annoying ESPN 'Hot Take' dickheads. He called Cerrone a quitter on the UFC post event show. Rogan and alot of UFC fighters weren't happy with that. Cerrone had a broken orbital bone and nose from the shots from Conor btw. Instead of backing down and apologising Smith has been doubling down on his rubbish.

7 hours ago, Yobo Ahoy said:

That would have been a good one. 

1 hour ago, Orion said:

Probably because Rogan has got into a public war of words with Stephen A Smith. One of those incredibly annoying ESPN 'Hot Take' dickheads. He called Cerrone a quitter on the UFC post event show. Rogan and alot of UFC fighters weren't happy with that. Cerrone had a broken orbital bone and nose from the shots from Conor btw. Instead of backing down and apologising Smith has been doubling down on his rubbish.

Yeah I don't get it at all. I can only assume it's a pr stunt by Smith. Don't feed the trolls is probably the best course of action. The one that is bothering me at the minute is the amount of people saying the Conor fight was fixed. Ridiculous. 

The fix talk is just rubbish, especially from the ESPN bloke

Connor may have a few holes in his game, but being destructive, sometimes quickly, is not one of them.

It's not like he's previously tippy-tap decision fighter and a KO finish was a huge shock.

9 hours ago, Orion said:

Yeah i saw that guy Smith on the post-fight show and he was way out of line for me. Typical uninformed twitter-esque rubbish and i bet he wasnt expecting people to defend Cowboy/MMA. Now its been mentioned it makes sense, Joe is flexing his muscles having fighters on at will out of the respect they have for him and he has for them.

15 hours ago, Yobo Ahoy said:

Outside of Lesnar, who never got the chance to use it, Reem has never had anything for capable wrestlers. I'd predict Cain handily controlling him before a one-sided decision (Cardioreem) or TKO in the 2nd (Ubereem).

On 23/01/2020 at 17:29, Gotters said:

I watch a bit of YouTube stuff for MMA, but not a lot, you obviously can't compete with UFC themselves for access & budget but its just a bit too dull and isn't engaging, even a picture of who you are talking about in the corner or something to break it up a bit - I can't watch 6m of a bloke at a mic just speaking in a fairly monotone way. I'm not saying stick thumping royalty free EDM over the whole thing with every screen effect in iMovie - just I need something to make me want to engage more, why am I listening to your view for so long (as opposed to coming in here and just having a chat like we do).

On 23/01/2020 at 17:56, Orion said:

Saying a sentence, edit, saying a sentence, edit... leaves some really unclear moments on your video. 

I really hate that style. Guys I listen too on Youtube like Luke Thomas and Helwani don't do that. I'm sure you don't always if you do a podcast.  

Hey guys, we just dropped another video and I took this all on board. I don't expect you guys to like it, but I wanted to thank you both for your feedback on the last video. Hopefully (if you fancy checking it out, even if it's just to give feedback, I get that it's perhaps not the type of content you guys dig) the changes have at least helped make it more engaging. 

I included some fight footage and some pictures in this video as you said @Gotters, there wasn't anything to engage with in the last video, so hopefully this has helped that. And as you said @Orion, we strayed away from the 'cut-cut-cut' edit and used a more 'single take' approach, so hopefully that has helped with that. Again, really appreciate the feedback from the first video. Said it before, but we can't improve if we don't take others opinions in to account. 

Kebab

• Upvote 2

Production values are so much better to my tastes on this, just a few cutaways to interview snippets, fighter pics, fight clips make it so much more interesting to watch.

10 minutes is quite a long time - I'd look to tighten it up and follow some basic messaging principles in structuring things - I loved the Jon Jones open, then it would be fine for you to tell us what your going to talk about (you say something like eye pokes and what we can do about them) but its fine to expand on that and give yourself a structure (think of it like a contents page for a few seconds)

We're going to talk about

• The frequency of eye pokes and major fights/fighters they've impacted
  • Why the UFC and athletic commissions have not moved to tighten up the laws
  • Different types of gloves used outside the UFC that help alleviate the problem
  • My personal opinion on this

All just my view of course but deffo a major improvement in a short space of time. 

• Upvote 1

This makes sense. Allows people to decide very quickly whether they want to watch the whole thing or not, too. I will look at that for next week's video in that case. Again, appreciate the feedback. We're keen to get this right and subtle changes like this aren't difficult to implement, but everything yourself and Orion have said makes sense, so appreciate you taking the time to watch again and give some feedback. Thanks bud. 

We're aiming to make our youtube videos much more cinematic down the line but want to get the format right first as it's a tremendous amount of work. We are willing to do it, but need the format nailed.  We actually do 4k video production which is how we got in to this realm in the first place. We're currently in talks with a Bellator fighter (an ex champ) about doing a short film for him. Hoping it goes ahead. It's actually more what we want to do long term, but the youtube side of things is to help build the 'brand' if you will. Plus, we really enjoy it.

We did a video last year for a guy who went on to fight Cain Cowley and Kiefer Crosbie (in Bellator, too) If you're interested, this is actually the kind of work we do.

I liked that alot more Kebab. The video and picture inserts worked well and you just speaking naturally felt alot better. 

Jon Jones pretty much boasting he does it purpose though. Jesus christ, you forget sometimes what a dickhead he is.

14 hours ago, Kebabilicious said:

This makes sense. Allows people to decide very quickly whether they want to watch the whole thing or not, too. I will look at that for next week's video in that case. Again, appreciate the feedback. We're keen to get this right and subtle changes like this aren't difficult to implement, but everything yourself and Orion have said makes sense, so appreciate you taking the time to watch again and give some feedback. Thanks bud. 

We're aiming to make our youtube videos much more cinematic down the line but want to get the format right first as it's a tremendous amount of work. We are willing to do it, but need the format nailed.  We actually do 4k video production which is how we got in to this realm in the first place. We're currently in talks with a Bellator fighter (an ex champ) about doing a short film for him. Hoping it goes ahead. It's actually more what we want to do long term, but the youtube side of things is to help build the 'brand' if you will. Plus, we really enjoy it.

We did a video last year for a guy who went on to fight Cain Cowley and Kiefer Crosbie (in Bellator, too) If you're interested, this is actually the kind of work we do.

That was a good video. I liked the one a few posts up too it was useful to show the alternate gloves and some info rather than just talking. Overall i enjoyed both of these.

On 30/01/2020 at 20:14, Orion said:

I liked that alot more Kebab. The video and picture inserts worked well and you just speaking naturally felt alot better. 

Jon Jones pretty much boasting he does it purpose though. Jesus christ, you forget sometimes what a dickhead he is.

Thank you mate. I'll keep working on the vids to tighten them up. Appreciate it. 

I know right? Every time I 'calm down' on Jon Jones' antics you see a clip like that and despite it being old, it fills me with rage. He really is a scumbag. 

On 31/01/2020 at 07:59, McFly said:

That was a good video. I liked the one a few posts up too it was useful to show the alternate gloves and some info rather than just talking. Overall i enjoyed both of these.

Thanks McFly! Appreciate you checking them out! 

The more I watch Shevchenko on UFC’s Embedded episodes, the more I’m convinced she’s a high level assassin and MMA is just her cover story.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, glb said:

The more I watch Shevchenko on UFC’s Embedded episodes, the more I’m convinced she’s a high level assassin and MMA is just her cover story.

I know what you mean. The whole thing has a surreal vibe. 

We just confirmed some big news today. Our media company is doing a fly-on-the-wall type video for Brent Primus. So pumped. Just waiting to get cleared by bellator for full access. Would be huge for us. 

• Upvote 2

Congrats from a professional point of view! 

But man, that guy's gonna be a pub quiz question one day.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, glb said:

Her wiki lists her as having a degree in film directing, whooda thunk it?

I liked Novitsky asking Derrick Lewis 'do you take supplements'

Least surprising answer ever.

Ugh, I can't even care about the Jones fight. If he wins, it won't be the display of dominance we want to see.

On the wild off-chance that he loses, it's not because Reyes is close to as good as him, it's because he'll have refused to use his full skillset and got caught. 

Unless of course he somehow gets absolutely dominated and demolished which would be an unexpected and interesting turn of events.

Derrick Lewis v Ltifi kinda snuck on me. That could hilarious or awesome. Im hoping for some Lewis stomch clenching to occur. Pretty poor card aside of main fights tho there could still be some good fights.

I never find myself rooting for Jones to lose, he's a piece of shit outside the ring but never grates on me in the way say Rockhold, DC or any of the alpha male midgets do.

He's undoubtedly up there in GOAT territory at all weights and the sport always needs one of them.

Jones is in Mayweather territory of being very, very good at what he does but would also happily see him KO’d. And like Floyd, that’ll likely never happen.

Shevchenko sorely needs some competition; she’s not going to break sweat defending this weekend. Been a low-key start to 2020 for UFC, can’t be arsed to stay / get up for two one-sided title fights, and the undercard isn’t exactly appealing.

Main event 

Spoiler

Screenshot_20200209-140649.thumb.png.670f41ae580aa0e4a1bc4b39142754c1.png

I had it 3-2 to Jones or split to Jones but Reyes didn't do enough in 3-5 to seel it for me.

I have to disagree Skittles. I had it 3 -2 Reyes, first 3 rounds were pretty clear for Reyes i thought but he gave away the 5th for sure. My big bugbear tho is if takedowns were so pivital to the judges how didnt Latifi not beat Lewis when he multiple completed takedowns and top control yet Jones barely completed a takedown? The judges were horrendous either way. 

I watched it without much sound so wasn't influenced much by the commentary - my initial reaction is Reyes was robbed.

Takedowns carry a totally disproportionate scoring influence, and not all take downs are created equal. Jones' were the slightest ones going and he never held Reyes down or established ground position. 

Very impressed with Reyes, he made Jones look average for much of the fight.

It was a close fight, I can see how 48-47 may happen either way, but especially for Jones if you add a lot more weight than the takedowns deserve. Don't have a clue what the judge who went 49-46 was watching. 

Reyes did what Smith said he would do - that’s put constant pressure on and let it fly. I thought he did well and wasn’t surprised by the split but was surprised Jones got the nudge. The 49 judge was mental. 

I think if Reyes cardio was just a tad better, he would have had a stronger round 3 and sealed it. 

@skittles what app is that you posted the screen shot from?

I find it hard to make any sort of case for a Jones win. He was picked apart at times early on and even when Reyes tired he still faced nothing more than some poor takedown attempts. 

• Upvote 1

Jones was knocked down for the 1st time in his career. What an insane stat that is and shows what a fighter he is. I ha ent been this upset at a title decision since shogun v machida 1st fight.