rllmuk
Stigweard

Official Mixed Martial Arts Thread

Even some of UFC’s roster can’t be arsed with tomorrow’s card. Four out of 10 fights will be at catchweight, including the main and co-main.

Was gonna post that. Jessica Eye said "she didnt think she can stand" and looked like death. 

Bloody hell, Tito aged 45 wants to "fight once more, retire, then join law enforcement. Either Sheriff department or Police. For the good of my city and my country"

Im presuming Tito is in "nobody ever talks about me anymore, better say something stupid" mode.

Completely skipping this weekends event. Its probably the worst UFC card I've ever seen. 

I expect the fights will be awesome now....

It feels like a contractual obligation of a card.

Next few weeks are much more enticing. Poirier Hooker at the end of the month should be a banger.

First 3 fights on the prelims lasted under 3 minutes total! Madness.

Main card was as expected. A total size mismatch in the 1st fight, the way bigger girl looked great, boxing champ iirc.

Thete was a nice choke by Vettori and the less said about the main even (lol) the better.

12 minutes ago, McFly said:

First 3 fights o the prelims lasted under minutes total! Madness.

Main carx was as expected. A total size mismatch in the 1st fight, the way bigger gurl looked great, boxing champ iirc.

Thete was a nice choke by Vettori and the less sId about the main even (lol) the better.

The main card was dire. One of the poorest cards I've seen in a long while. Also don't like that commentary team. Much prefer Bisping..he's getting his first ppv shift at 251 I believe. I like his insight and he's not overly polished plus he still gets excited. 

Mike Perry is going to have just 1 person in his corner for fight against Micky Gall at weekend, his girfriend (who isnt an MMA or any kind of fighter)

Its a new girlfriend from his last few fights (a tennis player iirc) isnt it? Regardless, If his nose doesnt look like his last outing its a moral victory.

Poirier v Hooker should be awesome.

Perry is a strange one. He has a couple of decent wins and for a brief moment looked like he could genuinely be the next big thing (in terms of crossover appeal if not genuine ability).

Now I'm not sure whether to be worried about him or whether it's an act, he said he is going to get a proper team after this fight but this one with his girlfriend is 'just to show he can do it' (well you didn't last time, you lost badly). And the Till stuff is weird, according to Till it's a play beef but Perry legit hates him apparently. Could all be for show but pretending to be mentally ill isn't really a needle mover in MMA.

Adesanya v Costa for the returning TUF apparently.

Perry should manage to dispose of Gall right? 

Does Perry look a big "enhanced" or is it just my eyes?

Poirier / Hooker was a humdinger.

1 hour ago, krenzler said:

Does Perry look a big "enhanced" or is it just my eyes?

The thought crossed my mind too.  His arms and back looked a lot bigger than i remebered him being. Gian Villante definetly wasnt enhanced, he weighed in at 255lbs and looked every bit of it. 

7 hours ago, McFly said:

Holy shit great main card. 

The prelims are well worth a look too. Just 4 fights and the last 3 are crackers. 

Poirier vs Hooker is all time kind of greatness. A must watch main event.

3 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Any confirmation if 251 is ppv yet?

BT haven’t specified yet; their promo was generic in terms of the channel call-to-action. Would be a bad look for them to make it PPV, but they’re contracted to a small amount per year. Guess there will be a force majeure clause though.

Having run PPV channels elsewhere previously, no way I’d make a business case for 251 in this climate (or any time to be honest, the timings are bullshit and just invite piracy) PPV in the UK is established for boxing, but even then the start times are usually an extra slap in the face after the price. And not like people can mitigate the cost by splitting it among friends at the minute.

Last weekend’s event was a good ‘un. Some wars, good (and crazy) submissions and a big knockout on the prelims. Would love Poirier Hooker 2 some time in the future. That’s a rematch that deserves some crowd energy.

Ad just now at HT in footy said 251 on BT Sport 1 - smart call not to ppv it

• Upvote 2

Khabib's father Abdulmanap has died after a battle with COVID. He was 57. 

Trying to not get angry about things like a certain Irish dickhead calling Khabib a coward for wanting to follow the pandemic rules and not be flying around the world to fucking fight islands when his father was in hospital. Rogan telling his fans wearing masks is for pussys. Dana putting his fighters, the UFC staff and their families at risk to keep the money rolling in. Keyboard warriors giving Rose Namajunas shit for backing out of an event when two of her family had just died from the virus. I don't even know where to start on all the stupid shit Schaub has said. Its all so depressing.

Gilbert Burns has tested positive too, and is now out of the headline fight with Usman.

Man that sucks. I hope they get a replacement. Whats the bet its Conor? Lol. Maybe Masvidal or Covington rematch?

Everyones favourite pundit/comedian, Brendan Schaub, could be in trouble after posting pics of him cycling while having covid-19. He had already recieved 1 or 2 fines for breaching rules by cycling iirc. So, i dunno if he will get in trouble but if nothing else makes him look stupid/selfish.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2020/7/4/21313155/brendan-schaub-deletes-posts-of-taking-bike-ride-while-covid-19-positive#comments

46 minutes ago, McFly said:

I’m more into Usman Masvidal than the original bout. What an 18 months for Masvidal if he pulls off a win.

Stellar card... think it’s certainly worth mainlining caffeine to stay up for!

Masvidal really is taking the Connor approach better than most of the others that have tried, generate hype and bad blood, call out everybody, then take any fight that comes your way.

He's a proper wild card and at such short notice that fight could really go any way.

Its impressive they pulled it off on this short notice. Masvidal was complaining about pay and in a contract dispute last I heard so they must have got all that sorted quickly too. I like Jorges guts for taking it but Usman is a tough fight for anyone even with a full training camp, so I think Usman will grind it out but Masvidal having his moments.

I imagine this is the payday which will have Masvidal set.

There's no world in which Masvidal has ever been at the level Usman is, and Usman should by rights destroy him. That said, Jorge has that 'puncher's chance' wildman mythology about him that Conor has too.

I still wouldn't bet on him in a million years and, barring Street Jesus getting a helping hand from his namesake, he gets wrecked. 

Usman needs more promotion, because he's fucking amazing. And Jorge can survive an L because of the short notice. Why UFC didn't run constant promos about Usman being a quiet murderer who will shut you the fuck up —after breaking Colby's jaw— is insane. They really can't promote for shit. Use Colby's self-promotion to elevate a new star. A new GSP.

nothing like a last minute step in to save the main event on a big card to get the UFC cheque book opened up

the heat/humidity looks a major factor there, on the first embedded you could see it hit them when they got outside the airport, if Usman can avoid any early crazy swings/kicks from Masvidal suspect he'll fade quickly at such short notice letting Usman pick him apart at will.