Official Mixed Martial Arts Thread

1 hour ago, McFly said:

It is not something i noticed til it was mentioned, nor is it something ive ever seen before. Is it indicative of something?

Gyno aka man boobs due to a hormonal imbalance, which loads of steroid heads suffer from. Tbh I don't particularly give a shit in this instance. Costa looks like he is on a ton of stuff.

Ok ta. I've heard of gyno (gynomastica or whatever it is called officially), but never seen it present as if someones pec has had a stroke. As you say if Costa isnt on something then his weight cut strategy needs to be standard practice.

I've kind of accepted most elite athletes are on some form of PED. That's a massively cynical position, and deep down I hope wrong, but in any case hasn't impeded enjoyment of the sports I watch.

On the humping incident. Distasteful, but very much in the moment and on brand with Adesanya's style. Surprised it even gained traction, even more so that more people seemed put out by it (not here I hasten to add) than they did by Covington being a racist twat. Erm, sorry, 'character'.

Adesanya did at least offer some supportive words to Costa while Buffer was waiting to make the post-fight announcement. Watching his victorious press conference he's just a supremely confident, and cocky, champion. And he backs it up. And hasn't thrown a dolly through a bus window. I like him. I'd love to see him move up and fight Jones, it'd be a bit like that Spider-Man pointing at Spider-Man meme and potentially one of the greatest fights in UFC history.

Seems like it has morphed into a proper UFC fight now, some time in December. I'm fucking sick of Conor now, to be honest. Hope Dustin puts him away once and for all. 

Low-key but potentially awesome fights this weekend - Moraes vs Sandhagen and Barboza vs Amirkhani. Hyped. 

On 01/10/2020 at 11:43, glb said:

I've kind of accepted most elite athletes are on some form of PED. That's a massively cynical position, and deep down I hope wrong, but in any case hasn't impeded enjoyment of the sports I watch.

This. It's not that cynical, though. It's realistic. Particularly in combat sports where the physical toll is so high. I had two amateur MMA fights last year and I was injured the entire camp and during both fights. That's with nowhere near the level of training and output those guys have. Recently worked with Johnny Walker and seeing him train at SBG, the intensity level is just different altogether. Granted, their bodies are somewhat more used to it than Joe Average but i'd say most UFC fighters are on something. 

It's the age old cat and mouse USADA thing. They'll be on the latest and greatest and then at some stage, someone will pop for it when a test is found for whatever substance it is then they all move to the next thing. Having spoken to quite a lot of guys around the UFC, it seems that most of them are at least rumoured to be on something. Negates injuries, helps with weight cuts and obviously fight night performance. I'm torn as to how to feel about it if that's true, but i'd say more of them than we think are on something. 

4 hours ago, Yobo Ahoy said:

Seems like it has morphed into a proper UFC fight now, some time in December. I'm fucking sick of Conor now, to be honest. Hope Dustin puts him away once and for all. 

Low-key but potentially awesome fights this weekend - Moraes vs Sandhagen and Barboza vs Amirkhani. Hyped. 

Dustin gets hit too much. I think Conor wins, as much as I'd love Poirier to sleep the man. I don't see a bath to victory for Dustin. Dustin's boxing is his strength but Conor's boxing is crisp and clean and despite getting mollywhopped, it'll have only improved since the Mayweather fight after dedicating so much time to it. Cou;d argue we haven't had a chance to see it because the Khabib fight wasn't the fight to showcase that IMO. 

Poirer could potentially out tough him, but I do favour Conor a lot in this fight, despite being sick of him. 

You're bang on about this card. Low Key Bangers. Can't see a path to Victory for Amirkhani, though. 

30 minutes ago, Kebabilicious said:

This. It's not that cynical, though. It's realistic. Particularly in combat sports where the physical toll is so high. I had two amateur MMA fights last year and I was injured the entire camp and during both fights. That's with nowhere near the level of training and output those guys have. Recently worked with Johnny Walker and seeing him train at SBG, the intensity level is just different altogether. Granted, their bodies are somewhat more used to it than Joe Average but i'd say most UFC fighters are on something. 

It's the age old cat and mouse USADA thing. They'll be on the latest and greatest and then at some stage, someone will pop for it when a test is found for whatever substance it is then they all move to the next thing. Having spoken to quite a lot of guys around the UFC, it seems that most of them are at least rumoured to be on something. Negates injuries, helps with weight cuts and obviously fight night performance. I'm torn as to how to feel about it if that's true, but i'd say more of them than we think are on something. 

When there are PED bans in sports like bowling and archery, where the financial gains are next to non-existent, it stands to reason that any sport where decent earnings can be made will see athletes doping. As such, I’m amazed there hasn’t been a drug scandal in football yet; the speed and change in the game in the last twenty years isn’t just down to ‘foreign training methods’ or improved coaching.

It’s murky in MMA; I can sympathise with why many would use PEDs for recovery / injury reduction. But on the flip side, priming athletes to be stronger and have more endurance in a sport that is built on physically harming an opponent, regardless of intent, does leave a moral question mark.

And yet, as with every other sport I enjoy, I’m okay with it until someone is caught, even if, in all likelihood, a favoured athlete or team is doping. Until they get caught, there is at least a modicum of doubt, or avoidance of a need to deal with the issue perhaps. Except with Usain Bolt, he was juiced to the gills and then some.

Half decent fight night tomorrow with Moraes v Sandhagen headlining.

Also MVP is fighting my fellow Invernessian and unbeaten (ex)Cage Warriors 170lb champ Ross Houston on C5 from Paris.

Half or alot of that Bellator card tomorrow is on BBC Iplayer. Quite how Bellator have created this cluster fuck with their TV coverage over here is quite impressive. 

The BBC’s coverage of Bellator Paris will begin at 4.30pm BST on BBC iPlayer before Channel 5 and Virgin Media Sport take over from 10pm. Page vs Houston will air live on BBC iPlayer.

From The Independent. People think the MVP vs Houston fight will be on around 6pm. Maybe. Its Bellator who knows.

Can only guess that because 5 don’t offer live streaming, the rights team have sold the digital rights separately. Coming from a background in broadcasting, just can’t fathom how splitting coverage like that benefits Bellator though. TV coverage should promote and potentially win a new audience, not alienate or confuse people with piecemeal coverage across multiple destinations.

Stream on their own site and take the ad revenue or find a host broadcaster that can do both linear and digital live.

Soz, work mode exasperation.

No thats good to know, i never really thought that different media have different rights sales. Explains why sky sports (supposedly) has it for paid satellite, C5 for freeview and bbc for online.

Extremely weird seeing MMA on BBC, even if it's only iPlayer. I'm sure the event won't be much to write home about but I'm watching it to support the sport more than anything; I saw a tweet the other day by Newsnight about how it's a historic night as it's the first 'cage fighting' event shown on the network and of course that triggered all of the gammons who were convinced it's an indication of this country going to the dogs or whatever. Pathetic. 

26 minutes ago, McFly said:

I mind a discussion on bbc 5live and some cunt was saying "how we've evolved past fighting" :lol:

Anyway Khabib v Geathje is ppv on BT box office <_<

Greedy bastards. That takes care of deciding if I was going to stay up for it. Kills some of the hype for me too. Such a dumb decision by BT in the current climate.

So weird watching sport - and MMA with a BBC logo - with a crowd, even a socially-distanced one.

11 minutes ago, McFly said:

PR department must be on furlough. On top ppv football? Fuck. you.

Yup. Would have been watching Liverpool Sheffield United and UFC 254 that weekend, but doing so now will cost an extra £35 on top of existing subs, so I’ll be doing something else.

On 10/10/2020 at 17:56, McFly said:

I mind a discussion on bbc 5live and some cunt was saying "how we've evolved past fighting" :lol:

We have.

In a sporting capacity, at least.

Anyone giving Gaethje a chance on Saturday?

I mean, I know everyone bar CM Punk has a chance, but Khabib has barely lost a round, let alone a fight. What I do find interesting is we should discover what Gaethje’s wrestling looks like. He was brilliant against Ferguson, but can he do the unexpected?

I'd give him a huge chance. Ferocious striker with ridiculous counter wrestling. He is some fighter, on paper he has the skills to really test him. Khabib is like the bloody terminator though. If he charges Gaethje down and gets the early takedown. Its gonna be a long night. 

A big question mark is Khabib's father dying recently. Its sad to bring that up, but he was obviously a huge influence on Khabib. 

Yeah, his father is a factor that could go either way. Not having such a key part of his entire life present is a hurdle Khabib is dealing with, and we won’t know how that plays out until Saturday.

I hope the Gaethje that fought Ferguson turns up, just so we can see Khabib fully tested. I enjoy watching both fight, and appreciate the mutual respect between them. Their highlight reels are doing some good hype work!