Official Mixed Martial Arts Thread

I must admit I've never totally rated Gaethje, until the Tony fight he'd never really beaten a top contender and Poirier and Alvarez dispatched him easily. Even the Ferguson W I feel has a tiny asterisk due to the short notice and Ferguson preparing for Khabib. Happy to be proved wrong of course!

Both guys make weight for title match, its on! Khabib is a bit like GSP in that whomever he fights he raises his game and implements his game. But maybe Gaethje is Khabibs Johnny Hendricks?

Main card starts at 7pm.

Still can’t bring myself to pay the PPV fee, just feels like such a cash grab. Essex currently tier 2 as well, so can’t even have a few people over to split the cost if we wanted too. I mean, we could but it would be irresponsible obvs.

Was just away to post a similar video, Khabib looked like shit on the scale. Is it my imagination or did he need a bit of a hand tonget on the scales? 

As for the ppv it sticks in my craw but ffs i wanna see it.

That was just a tap.

Just loaded up the app to watch this and.... BT Box Office? WTF? Is this the first one they've done this for? Am sure I watched the last one on the app. 

Whittaker looked fantastic. Megatron with finish of the night. Khabib... wow.

If that is it, and you’d think it probably is unlike some other ‘retirements’, what a career.

Gaethje had that look in his eyes at the end of the first like everyone who fights Khabib. The "uh oh, why is nothing working, I'm about to take a massive beating" look.

Hope Khabib doesn't retire he is such a big star at this point.

It shows how he approaches these fights, we saw in the Conor one too that he was stoic all the way through and at the end, just unleashed. Same happened here, kept it (seemingly kept it) together all the way through the build up and training it sounds like, and afterwards just a wave of emotion. 

I wonder how the fight would have gone if Gaethe escaped that ground wrap given that last leg kick looked nasty, but damn, I was wondering if Gaethe on top would be bad.... nope. 

17 minutes ago, Orion said:

Gaethje had that look in his eyes at the end of the first like everyone who fights Khabib. The "uh oh, why is nothing working, I'm about to take a massive beating" look.

He looked a little erratic and there was so much pressure from Khabib he couldnt get set right. Justin landed some good shots though and they were ate cleanly. Lovely triangle even if the bloody ref missed the two taps though <_<

17 minutes ago, Orion said:

Hope Khabib doesn't retire he is such a big star at this point.

Its only now hes really getting exposure as a top athlete when you see who was tweeting about him (as annoying as those tweets are on the screen). Plus why not make it a round number at 30? 

I'd like to see him beat Tony Ferguson before he retires. That would be the only question mark on his career. They are both to blame for that falling apart so many times.

I'd still take GSP and Jones over him in the GOAT talk tbh. 

From the post-fight chat, it seemed like he didn't really have any interest in fighting, and it's what his dad wanted from him.

If his dad had passed a few years ago, maybe we'd never have even seen Khabib stick around to be champ? His post-fight interview felt honest and sympathetic. I hope he doesn't use his celebrity to continue bolstering the reputation of shitheads back home.

When he started taking the gloves off I knew. Very sad that a guy in his complete prime retires but kudos to him for keeping his word to his mother. I was a little sad after. What a great card.

Think there’s little doubt Khabib is the greatest lightweight in UFC (and probably MMA) history but don’t think he’s the GOAT.

Not a huge fan of Jones, but watching him at his peak was almost otherworldly; his style being adaptive and creative like few others in the sport. GSP the other obvious candidate. Think he’s one of the few ‘old school’ fighters that could adapt to how MMA has evolved too.

155 title picture sure got interesting, albeit the supposed bout between Poirier and McGregor is at 170 and muddies the waters somewhat. Think let the clown get beat up by Poirier while Ferguson and Hooker have an eliminator to fight Gaethje. Maybe then the winner of Poirier McGregor fights the resultant champion in the next International Fight Week next July.

I'd have Jones way ahead of him. He completely cleaned out his division over a ten year period. Destroyed his biggest rival Cormier twice, who is a future Hall of Famer. The Hamill loss was total bs and should not be held against him. Neither should the many out the cage fuck ups he has had. If were judging careers just look at the fights imo. His problem might be he will Roy Jones Jnr/Anderson Silva his career. Fight on way too long and lose a bunch when he is past it and people down play him. The Reyes and Santos fights showed a Jones who is seemingly on the decline. Going after Stipe and Ngannou is a dangerous game, if thats where he is seemingly headed.

GSP cleaned out a great welterweight division of Hughes, Penn, Fitch, Sherk, Trigg etc. Then a whole new generation of top Welters came around in Condit, Alves, Diaz, Shields, Kosheck, Hendricks, Hardy and he beat all of them as well. Barely losing a round. In an era when MMA was constantly progressing he was right at the front pushing the sport.

It will be interesting to see how Khabib is remembered if that's the last we see of him fighting. His legacy might grow or be like FMJ where people respect him but don't seriously put him down as the greatest.

I almost think Khabib at this point is a theoretical GOAT as his game looks so impenetrable, but that doesn't make him an actual GOAT as there are people with far better records in terms of actual fights, and as Jones himself was pointing out at the weekend he has so few actual title defences.

If you can separate Jones out the octagon from him in it he's cleared out a division of killers over many many years and his record at this point is almost second to none, only really GSP who gets close with longevity and names, but importantly Jones has never lost to any of them.

For my money if you're judging solely on record and quality of opponent its Jones all the way. 

23 minutes ago, Gotters said:

I almost think Khabib at this point is a theoretical GOAT as his game looks so impenetrable, but that doesn't make him an actual GOAT as there are people with far better records in terms of actual fights, and as Jones himself was pointing out at the weekend he has so few actual title defences.

I think thats accurate. Its only in the last 3 fights that Khabib has beaten people of note, other than RDA years ago. But his manner of victory has been so devastating that its clear he is great. Whereas Jones and GSP beatloads of HoF (or nearly) level opponents every fight