IGNORED

Official Mixed Martial Arts Thread

Stigweard

1 hour ago, McFly said:

In terms of ufc/mma I can't think of anyone better, iirc he has most dubs in division history now. And the only to have 2 finishes in last 10s of last round  (I may have made that up but he did it). It's great to see, maybe Vettori should come and train with him? :lol:

I know theres UK guys well regarded from grapple only tournaments. But Craig is doing this at UFC level. Its so cool to see.

• 4 weeks later...

So, its almost here, Conor v Dustin 3, the biggest inconsequential fight I can think of. Conor tried to kick Dustin and claims Khabib achieved nothing :huh:

Good rest of card, with Wonderboy v Gilbert burns, Rai Tuivasa v Greg Hardy, o'malley fighting some guy, Ryan Hall and Condit on the prelims.

For as much of a bellend he is, Conor tends to have really good fights. Poirier is no slouch on that front either. So whatever happens in the main it should be fun whilst it lasts. I'm presuming this has a crowd in as well, so it will have a great atmosphere.

McGregor cards can sometimes be one fight shows but the undercard and prelims for this look solid too.

They will fight again probably next year. That was no way to settle it. Conor was being a dick at the end but Poirier was giving it the big one talking shit and acting like this wasen't a fluke accident win too. Neither came across well. 

Hardy getting starched made my night earlier. God bless Tuivasa and his shoe drinking ways.

I didn't watch (i.e. pay) for the fight but we seem to have reached a point where what was once perceived as the arsehole act from McGregor to hype up fights was really all along what he is naturally like, the act was the more humble restrained funny persona. 

We all had it the wrong way round.

57 minutes ago, Matt Defis said:

There's a huge difference between talking shit about another fighter in the build up to sell tickets and screaming a woman is a whore into a mic when she and her husband are 10 feet away after the fight is over and done with. 

I don't think you understand my point. Conor has said racist, sexist, homophobic shit since he first appeared. His core fanbase lap it up. He punches old men in bars for no reason. Theres all the sexual assualt and rape rumours. He said that to Poiriers wife and his fans in the arena cheered. They don't give a fuck.

I'm not endorsing it. I'm saying his fans don't care. They love that type of shit from him and it won't put any off. He is playing to his crowd.

37 minutes ago, Orion said:

I don't think you understand my point. Conor has said racist, sexist, homophobic shit since he first appeared. His core fanbase lap it up. He punches old men in bars for no reason. Theres all the sexual assualt and rape rumours. He said that to Poiriers wife and his fans in the arena cheered. They don't give a fuck.

I'm not endorsing it. I'm saying his fans don't care. They love that type of shit from him and it won't put any off. He is playing to his crowd.

This. He's a prick. So is anyone into his schtick.

Conor was outclassed, again. I'd be entirely happy without a fourth fight, I can only imagine people want the satisfaction of seeing Conor tap or get slept.

Dustin's better, and has been for a long time. I couldn't blame him for wanting the big paycheques, and I suppose it's possible that his main event status as the Slayer of McGregor isn't solidified by this bout. Even though it is for anyone with eyes.

Always a shame to see Wonderboy miss out, but Burns entirely had his number and he couldn't adapt in the third. Thompson's game plan is so established by now that it's been solved. Could do with some new wrinkles, but it may be a bit late.

Was gutted for Moutino was stopped so close to the end. It probably should have been stopped, but why then? He had his hands up and was throwing back. 

Felt bit sorry for Conor, until he spoke on the mic, Dustin was all over him and Conor looked pretty knackered but was still going so who knows. I'd like to see Dustin maybe go to 170lbs. But I hope he fights Oliviera sometime soon first.

Was hoping Wonderboy would get the title shot, a new look for Usman and not another rematch, but  Burns did the job.

Some great fights on the prelims.

I bet Nick's still got it. I've always loved his boxing. Great foot movement, angles and efficient use of power.  No swinging for the fences, just super accurate tap tap tap right on the temple, the tip of the jaw and then when his opponent is knackered or dazed, he unleashes the power shots. Accuracy and technique.  It's a delight to watch so here's an hour of it.

That body shot on Frank Shamrock 😬

I prefer him to Nate, that's for sure. His last three fights he's looked out-thought and outclassed though, and that's going back the best part of 10 years. 

Having said that, he's fighting Robbie Lawler who has been in terminal decline himself for 5 years so someone has to come away with the win.

Lol giving him the number 2 ranked bantamweight last seen murdering Moraes and Edgar, they most certainly are not fucking about. This is TJ with no PEDs too. His old teammates claim he was cheating his whole career. I guess we see what he has got left.

Shame the rest of the card is rubbish but it was originally up against Fury-Wilder 3.

Aye it should be a banger, winner gets $1m as grand prix winner. Its way more interesting than the ufc, which has had 3 fights iirc dropped cos of weight issues. Nicco montano weighed in under the featherweight limit at 143lbs, pity she was scheduled for a 135lb fight :lol:

Bellator is on BBC Iplayer as well. So think I'll stay up for this one.

That UFC card is cursed. It might have been ok untill all this happened

Spoiler

Former Invicta FC Atomweight Champion Jinh Yu Frey was briefly expected to face promotional newcomer Istela Nunes, but the latter was forced to withdraw from the women's strawweight bout due to visa issues and was replaced by Ashley Yoder.[3]

A flyweight bout between Zarrukh Adashev and Juancamilo Ronderos was originally linked to this event.[4] However, Ronderos was removed from the bout in early July and was replaced by Ryan Benoit.[5] They were originally expected to meet two months earlier at UFC on ESPN: Rodriguez vs. Waterson, but Benoit missed weight and the contest was cancelled due to health concerns.[6]

A flyweight bout between former UFC Flyweight Championship challenger Alex Perez and Askar Askarov was scheduled for the event.[7] However, Askarov pulled out of the fight in early July due to a broken hand. Perez is now expected to face Matt Schnell four weeks later at UFC Fight Night 191.[8] They were originally expected to meet at UFC 262, before Perez was forced to pull out due to undisclosed reasons.[9]

A bantamweight bout between Ronnie Lawrence and John Castaneda was scheduled for this event.[10] However on July 18, Castaneda pulled out of the bout and was replaced by Trevin Jones.[11] In turn, the bout was cancelled when Lawrence failed to show up for the weigh-ins due to health concerns. [12]

Featherweights Doo Ho Choi and Danny Chavez were expected to meet at the event.[13] However, Choi was forced to pull out of the bout due to an injury and was replaced by Kai Kamaka III.[14][15]

A heavyweight bout between Shamil Abdurakhimov and Chris Daukaus was expected to take place at the event.[16] The pairing was initially scheduled to meet one week prior at UFC on ESPN: Sandhagen vs. Dillashaw, but the matchup was removed from that card on July 19 due to COVID-19 protocols within Abdurakhimov's camp.[16] Subsequently, on July 26 the bout was yet again postponed to a future event for unknown reasons.[17]

Roman Kopylov was scheduled to meet Sam Alvey in a middleweight bout at this event.[18] However, he wasn't able to obtain a visa in time and the bout was scrapped.[19]

A welterweight contest featuring Mounir Lazzez and Niklas Stolze was also booked for this card.[20] In turn, Lazzez pulled out just a few days before the event due to visa issues and was replaced by Jared Gooden.[21] The new pairing was initially reported as canceled just hours before the event due to COVID-19 protocols, but it was later confirmed that both fighters were cleared to compete.[22]

At the weigh-ins, former UFC Women's Flyweight Champion Nicco Montaño (also The Ultimate Fighter: A New World Champion flyweight winner) and Philip Rowe missed weight for their respective bouts. Montaño weighed in at 143 pounds, seven pounds over the women's bantamweight non-title fight limit. Her bout against Wu Yanan was cancelled due to the weight discrepancy. Rowe weighed in at 173.5 pounds, two and half pounds over the welterweight non-title fight limit. His bout is expected to proceed at a catchweight and he will be fined 20% of his individual purse, which will go to his opponent Orion Cosce.[23]

A bantamweight bout between Kyung Ho Kang and Rani Yahya was expected to serve as the co-main event, but it was cancelled a few hours before happening due to Yahya testing positive for COVID-19.[24][25]

8 hours ago, Orion said:

Bellator is on BBC Iplayer as well. So think I'll stay up for this one.

That UFC card is cursed. It might have been ok untill all this happened

Hide contents

Former Invicta FC Atomweight Champion Jinh Yu Frey was briefly expected to face promotional newcomer Istela Nunes, but the latter was forced to withdraw from the women's strawweight bout due to visa issues and was replaced by Ashley Yoder.[3]

A flyweight bout between Zarrukh Adashev and Juancamilo Ronderos was originally linked to this event.[4] However, Ronderos was removed from the bout in early July and was replaced by Ryan Benoit.[5] They were originally expected to meet two months earlier at UFC on ESPN: Rodriguez vs. Waterson, but Benoit missed weight and the contest was cancelled due to health concerns.[6]

A flyweight bout between former UFC Flyweight Championship challenger Alex Perez and Askar Askarov was scheduled for the event.[7] However, Askarov pulled out of the fight in early July due to a broken hand. Perez is now expected to face Matt Schnell four weeks later at UFC Fight Night 191.[8] They were originally expected to meet at UFC 262, before Perez was forced to pull out due to undisclosed reasons.[9]

A bantamweight bout between Ronnie Lawrence and John Castaneda was scheduled for this event.[10] However on July 18, Castaneda pulled out of the bout and was replaced by Trevin Jones.[11] In turn, the bout was cancelled when Lawrence failed to show up for the weigh-ins due to health concerns. [12]

Featherweights Doo Ho Choi and Danny Chavez were expected to meet at the event.[13] However, Choi was forced to pull out of the bout due to an injury and was replaced by Kai Kamaka III.[14][15]

A heavyweight bout between Shamil Abdurakhimov and Chris Daukaus was expected to take place at the event.[16] The pairing was initially scheduled to meet one week prior at UFC on ESPN: Sandhagen vs. Dillashaw, but the matchup was removed from that card on July 19 due to COVID-19 protocols within Abdurakhimov's camp.[16] Subsequently, on July 26 the bout was yet again postponed to a future event for unknown reasons.[17]

Roman Kopylov was scheduled to meet Sam Alvey in a middleweight bout at this event.[18] However, he wasn't able to obtain a visa in time and the bout was scrapped.[19]

A welterweight contest featuring Mounir Lazzez and Niklas Stolze was also booked for this card.[20] In turn, Lazzez pulled out just a few days before the event due to visa issues and was replaced by Jared Gooden.[21] The new pairing was initially reported as canceled just hours before the event due to COVID-19 protocols, but it was later confirmed that both fighters were cleared to compete.[22]

At the weigh-ins, former UFC Women's Flyweight Champion Nicco Montaño (also The Ultimate Fighter: A New World Champion flyweight winner) and Philip Rowe missed weight for their respective bouts. Montaño weighed in at 143 pounds, seven pounds over the women's bantamweight non-title fight limit. Her bout against Wu Yanan was cancelled due to the weight discrepancy. Rowe weighed in at 173.5 pounds, two and half pounds over the welterweight non-title fight limit. His bout is expected to proceed at a catchweight and he will be fined 20% of his individual purse, which will go to his opponent Orion Cosce.[23]

A bantamweight bout between Kyung Ho Kang and Rani Yahya was expected to serve as the co-main event, but it was cancelled a few hours before happening due to Yahya testing positive for COVID-19.[24][25]

Fuck me that's some 'subject to change'.

I know this interim heavyweight title fight is ridiculous but Lewis is one of the most likable fighters in MMA history. If he can somehow pull out another KO in his home town tonight it will be something special. 

Always great to see Jose Aldo too. That co main could be a tear up.