Official Mixed Martial Arts Thread

Stigweard

Yeah he really stepped it up. Unfortunately I never thought Lewis would win, he's improving but I'm not sure he'll ever be championship level - I sort of think of him as this generation's Mark Hunt. 

Great to see Aldo win (and have huge backing from the crowd also). So many good fights at BW for him. TJ, Cody, Font, Sandhagen... even avenging the Moraes robbery. All bangers. 

15 hours ago, Yobo Ahoy said:

Great to see Aldo win (and have huge backing from the crowd also). So many good fights at BW for him. TJ, Cody, Font, Sandhagen... even avenging the Moraes robbery. All bangers. 

Sorry not wanting to nitpick but Cody Garbandt has now moved down to Flyweight. Don't really blame him as he is 1-4 in his last 5. All against great fighters but its quite the fall from being 11-0 and UFC champion. Worth a try for him to rebuild.

Ah yes, I forgot about that. I was just glancing at the rankings, as he's still at BW - pretty high as well. Maybe not quite as stacked as it appears on paper! 

I'm not sure if his luck will change dramatically at flyweight to be honest. He's still wildly overconfident, talking about a title shot already. 

Yeah I think a fight at 125lb, to see he makes weight OK and to settle in. But a good showing against a top 5 oppo should lead to a title fight. A match-up with Moreno could be awesome and Figureido, could be a total war. 

He is still a gobshite but Jake Paul trolling Dana over fighter pay has me rolling. You just know with how thin skinned Dana White is, this kind of stuff getting international press must drive him crazy lol. 

McGregor is the most underpaid fighter in history what he gets paid to fight versus the value he has brought to UFC, ESPN and MMA.

There's a movement moving forwards that is going to show that fighters should be getting paid more. It's unfair. The UFC fighter's don't have fair pay. Out of all the sports, the percentage that the owners get versus the athlete, they're the lowest. 

Francis Ngannou vs. Jon Jones, that fight should happen. Dana White, pay them the $10 million. He's taking their money. They're the ones making the content. They're the ones who get in the ring risking their life. 

Chris Weidman goes in, snaps his leg in half, what's that look like? He may never be able to fight again and provide for his family. These fighters are risking their lives. 

You can quite literally die in the ring and they need to be compensated more. I'm a big proponent of that movement and being in control. 

'It's just like music labels, same thing, these artists are getting owned and get locked up into these shitty contracts and they don't know what to do. So fuck that shit. Fuck Dana White.' 

Its all basically true which makes him fucking with Dana even funnier.

Yeah it's all true, the fact these DWCS "winners" are getting 10+10 type deals is beyond embarrassing. When the fighters see Bellator and PFL having $1m dollar tournaments and better fighter care it must turn heads eventually. Paul brothers might end up being a help in the end

• 3 weeks later...

Like him or hate him Paddy Pimblett is going to win alot of fans and fight bonuses if all his UFC fights are like that. He is probably going to lose loads of fights though. Entertaining debut all the same. 

Aspinall looks one hell of a prospect and I like him not wanting to be rushed up the rankings. Really good Heavyweight prospects don't come around very often especially British ones. 

Till had a nightmare. I think 170 is his best weight but don't think he can make the cut anymore. Fair play to Brunson he has derailed some good fighters lately and deserves a title shot. Izzy absolutely wrecked him when they first fought and he still seems pissed about it. So interested in how rematch goes, if he uses his wrestling could make it a rough night.

Aspinall looks potentially fantastic, seems on the ball, in no rush for a top 5 fight content to go at his own pace. He is more all rounded than these big fat power punchers, insane power, but pretty limited otherwise. 

I thought Pimblett was get beat after that big punch landed, but damn the speed and composure he showed to finish was impressive.

Till though, bloody hell. Dominant on the feet, had Brunson hurt, but his ground game doesn't seem to have improved at all since he became a headliner type fighter. 

Aspinall is saying and doing all the right things. Haven't even seen the depth of his ground game yet.

Pimblett gets slept by the upper echelon guys, or even just a good striker. Someone like Brad Ridell would sleep him. That said, he's fun, marketable and has time to improve. 

I couldn't afford to, but I wanted to bet on Brunson by sub. Called it on a FB page. I just don't think the UK has the wrestling required to hang with the top guys. Till v Izzy would still be fun and possibly competitive, but Till just doesn't have the ground game in my opinion. To be fair though, Brunson's wrestling is legit. 

It is another thing to note for Aspinall, too. Someone like Blaydes would murder him in my opinion. 

I strongly feel that the UK guys should all travel to the us wherever possible to at least scrub on on wrestling. The younger the better. Seems a shame as there's so much talent from the UK and Ireland, but they'll all suffer for the wrestling.

Apparently Till had torn his acl 10 weeks before his fight on Saturday. Would explain somethings and him looking "flat" according to some pundits. 

Jack Shore was being criticised for his workmanlike fight, but he also had a broken thumb and torn bicep tendon during his fight. 

On 05/09/2021 at 14:50, Kebabilicious said:

I strongly feel that the UK guys should all travel to the us wherever possible to at least scrub on on wrestling. The younger the better. Seems a shame as there's so much talent from the UK and Ireland, but they'll all suffer for the wrestling.

I agree with this in theory but the reality is most just cannot afford to do this. Even before Covid. I remember Joanne Calderwood when she was training at Tristar in Canada saying unless she won a performance bonus every fight she couldn't afford to keep training there.

UK MMA gyms would be better off hiring Olympic level, Eastern European, amateur wrestlers to help train in our gyms. Theres a goldmine of these guys out there.  

So terrible 😞

Can't wait for this weekends fights, pretty tempted with a 5x accumulator with:

Andrade to win (ko), blaydes to win (udec), Diaz to win (udec), Shevchenko to win (tko) and Volanovski to win (dec).

On 04/09/2021 at 22:43, Orion said:

Like him or hate him Paddy Pimblett is going to win alot of fans and fight bonuses if all his UFC fights are like that. He is probably going to lose loads of fights though. Entertaining debut all the same. 

I think most people would pay through the nose to see him getting leathered by anyone tbf. Twice over if there's no ref.

Not keen on this Diaz weight class shuffling. It's the sort of shit a less famous fighter would get chewed out for, but because he's one of Dana's favourites he gets a free pass. Obviously Lawler isn't one to complain but it leaves a bit of a sour taste.