IGNORED

Shmups

Dr Seedyman

7 hours ago, Pockets said:

If they put the stuff they did for 360, PC and Switch together - the Mushis, Esps, DDPs etc - on one disc or collection on XSX/PS5/PC they could charge £60 for it and probably sell a decent amount. 

Maybe 10 games or so there and most of the work has been done for various formats, it can’t be hard to then unify them for all as they’re so similar. 

Yeah but why do that when they can release them individually?  I’d personally pay for a rerelease that was standalone, especially if it corrects some of the niggles of the earlier version.

Yeah, pearls before swine.
You won't attract the shit munchers by throwing them a big value family pack of cave games.
Most people find their way in through emulation or free indie games. The people that make a little effort and get sucked in by one game tend to stick around.

If you give someone ten games at once, they'll probably just jump around, dipping their toe into each of them for all of 5 minutes before going back to eating paint or whatever.

Most gamers don't see the endless replay value and the depth and the effort that has gone into making these games 20 to 30 airtight minutes of pure brilliance.
They just see a game that can be credit fed through in half an hour and then refunded/sold on.

The people who would adore these games always find their way here eventually.

I honestly thought that Cave would take advantage of the big user base of the PS4, both in Japan and elsewhere, and re-release separately all of the their wares again on a single platform. They managed about 3 (only 2 of which got a physical release)

Amazing games, hopeless company.

Cave aren't in the business of porting their games any more. The PC ports only happened because one of their teams was going to be sat about twiddling their thumbs for a few months.

Even the exa version of sdoj is being outsourced, handled by the Fire Lancer dev, trap15.

Unless you just want some rom bundled with a shitty emulator for a tenner a pop, unless you want far worse than you can currently achieve for nothing on a toaster, you're looking to the likes of M2, and city connection (who did the psyvaria port and it was very good so fingers crossed) to bring the games to modern consoles.

They're starting with a deathsmiles twofor with more to come.

I think people are underestimating the effort, time and cost these things take.

Be careful what you wish for, the likes of dotemu would be more than happy to shit out a disc with 10 roms on it with some laggy dogshit emulator.

I would very much like one of the DDPs on Switch. Almost don't mind which one, actually. 

But yes, I would like Ketsui, MHSF... as well. I have all the Jap releases on my jp 360, but I would double dip on Switch.

Speaking of Shmups, I think I will load up Crimson Clover again.

5 hours ago, englishbob said:

I honestly thought that Cave would take advantage of the big user base of the PS4, both in Japan and elsewhere, and re-release separately all of the their wares again on a single platform. They managed about 3 (only 2 of which got a physical release)

Amazing games, hopeless company.

Which ones made it to PS4? I didn't keep up at all last gen.

9 minutes ago, Camel said:

Which ones made it to PS4? I didn't keep up at all last gen.

All M2 conversions under the M2 Shot Triggers label...

KETSUI DEATHTINY (Physical) - Japan only - apparently a US release is happening maybe digital only

ESP RA.DE. PSI (Physical) - Japan only - also on Switch

DANGUN FEVERON (Digital)- Japan and USA only

No love for the UK/Europe, not even on digital releases

On 01/04/2020 at 22:24, Camel said:

Am I right in saying Ghost Blade doesn't get much love? It's really clicked for me. Seemed way too hard to begin with but once my eyes got used to picking out those pink bullets among all the madness I really started to enjoy it and I've been making some headway. 

I pretty much stopped playing this not long after this post as I was getting frustrated. Not with the game itself but with my control options - neither of which were really allowing me to connect with the game. 1) PS4 Dual Shock. Fuck me, that stiff d-pad is annoying 2) TE stick. More throw than Zangief. I realise that there are probably a big gang of mad arcade gods completing all the shooty games with exactly those set-ups, but both options were preventing me from enjoying the game properly.

ANYWAY, I found out this week that with a Brook PS3 -> PS4 adaptor, you can use Retro-Bit's lovely Saturn and MD pads on a PS4. So I ordered one and oh lordy, it works an absolute treat. I've just spent the evening playing Ghost Blade HD with a MD pad and now when I die all the time and still can't make it through level three on one credit, I am 100% sure that it's just because I'm shit and NOT because I'm struggling with controls. Now to investigate some other PS4 shmups ...

Nice one, Jackie! Glad you've found your weapon of choice! I think I've got one of them in the cupboard.

You could mod your arcade stick with a more shmup focussed lever with a shorter throw in the future if you ever fancied giving that another try.

Yeah, I've stuck up for ghost blade hd quite a few times elsewhere. It's a bit rough and low effort at times, but the fun scoring system lift it well above mediocrity. It's a good "in" for newbies and it's just good fun to play. I really love the caravan stage!

I think this game was already on itch in one form but yer man took it down because I think it's gonna get a steam release all buffed up and shiny.
I have to rely on google translate so I don't really know. I can't be 100% sure about anything I'm saying.

Is that a robot fish boss he's fighting, or a parrot? It'll be a fish, innit? The map on the right looks like the antarctic or something.

Feel like pure shit, just wanna play daft pomeranian thing already :(

@Marlew Did I do that right? :D

Might be alright? - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1469340/GyroBlade/

Lovely art at least, might be worth trying - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1280380/Mooliis_Dreamland/

Zero Gunner 2- on the way to steam, yay or nay? - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1342250/ZERO_GUNNER_2/

If you reckon you're big brained enough to manage dodging bullets while pulling off fighting game combos, ∀kashicverse is on steam now - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1225610/kashicverse_Malicious_Wake/

I reckon that's the sort of game that'd bring me to tears.

Yes, I really like Ghost Blade; it just has a really nice feel to it. 

My other option was indeed to mod one of my other Madcatz sticks and throw a Seimitsu stick in there. I probably will anyway at some point just to see how I get on with a stick with less travel. I used to play all my 360 shooters with a TE but I just find it somewhat irritating now for some reason. I've found a good guide to fitting a Seimitsu and it looks as simple as replacing the sticks in a non-TE, which I've done before, with an added step of rotating the stick.

I know I shouldn't give Nicalis money but being one of those physical idiots, still, in 2020, I'm chuffed I managed to snag a copy of Ikaruga on Switch last week. I think they were in stock for all of an afternoon. Woo!

I was browsing Amazon.jp for presents last week and noticed this Switch Aleste collection due on the 24th. Am I reading it right that it's Master System/Game Gear games? It's a series I know by reputation only and I'd always thought the 16-bit ones were the highlights. I did have a quick bash at one of the GG titles on RetroPie but like everything on that system the resolution makes it look really cramped and is immediately offputting.

If it'll make you feel any better, buying Ikaruga

on steam - https://store.steampowered.com/app/253750/Ikaruga/

or PS4 - https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/product/EP3838-CUSA11525_00-APP0000000000000

the money goes directly to Treasure.

6 hours ago, Yasawas said:

Am I reading it right that it's Master System/Game Gear games?

Yeah, I'm not too excited about the Aleste collection. Would be interested to hear from anyone that is.

Aleste branch on the other hand. Can't wait for that to come out!

On 30/11/2020 at 21:35, ImmaculateClump said:

I've seen that mentioned a few times around the net. Report back if you get a chance to try it!

Pqube said they were having issues getting it on the Switch eShop so it's likely to be after Christmas now. I think it's supposed to be on PSN and Steam already though :)

Strikers 1945 II and Gunbird 2 often make the yearly top 25 list on the shmups forum, if that's any help.

I'll have to get that free game and try it one night when I'm at a loss for something to do - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1446720/Is_It_Wrong_to_Try_to_Shoot_em_Up_Girls_in_a_Dungeon/

I'm guessing it's not the hardcore shmup crowd giving it all those positive reviews, but it mustn't be too bad!