IGNORED

Shmups

Dr Seedyman

4 hours ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Look at the version we have to play on pc! - https://store.steampowered.com/app/860590/MissileDancer/

Are you still sitting on that review/interview, marlew? Will that come out soon?

Yeah, I will do. Got the interview ready to go but will revisit my review. Been a while since I did anything much so that'll get me back in the swing of things. 

Shame the PC version looks like that. I don't get it. 

That was quite a fun, unpredictable list!

The Tawashi was a bit of a shock, especially so high! Will have to revisit that over the next few days.

What were your favourites of 2020 then? Top 5? You don't have to go into any detail.

Solid State Survivor looks like it might be good fun, never heard of that one before - http://ktstg.blog.shinobi.jp/Entry/904/

Gonna try it tonight hopefully.

i was playing loads of esp ra.de./ketsui/doj/other stuff earlier in the year but not sure i've played much that was released this year, only played a bit of the updated crimzon clover switch version. so yeah i'd be interested in what people think were the best ones this year too so i can check them out.

Trying to remember what I played in 2020, I think the only thing that was released last year that I played was the Switch Crimzon Clover.

Ikaruga, Ketsui, Mushihimesama, DoDonPachi Resurrection and Judgement Silversword (for like a very intense week on the last one) all got a decent look in through. Deathsmiles and Psyvariar 2 each got played at least twice :lol: Oh yeah, and I played enough Danmaku Unlimited 3 to end up liking it as well.

Spoiler

Most played was Always Surrender though, but that really doesn't count!

Missile Dancer was definitely my favourite release over the year, but Futari my most played by probably hundreds of hours in the first half of the year. CCWE was/is brilliant but because I'd already played it a lot ages ago, it didn't stick in rotation quite as much as I expected. I play the Arrange Unlimited every so often, though. Really exciting mad mode. Overall, my go-to games this year were Garegga, Ketsui, DOJ and Futari. Sorcer Striker got a fair bit of time early doors. ESP, Ikaruga, Psikyo stuff and Darius/Gradius largely dropped off. Rolling Gunner Overpower DLC the only real disappointment. 

Really looking forward to that crimzon clover update coming to pc as I need to give the game more attention.

9 hours ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Solid State Survivor looks like it might be good fun, never heard of that one before - http://ktstg.blog.shinobi.jp/Entry/904/

@Marlew @hazeredmist do either of you keep in touch with the owl? He'd love this! Don't mention me, obviously, or he won't play it :lol:

There's something very blue wish about it. Some lovely patterns and lots of scoring potential figuring out when best to cancel the bullets and stuff. I reckon he'd be all over this.

I should be playing Raging Blasters since some ruffians have knocked me off the top spot, but I'm having too much fun with this.

5 hours ago, Jonster said:

Judgement Silversword

How far did you get? Bloody hard towards the end, innit? I couldn't finish that when I was trying.

Shiiiiiit. That's very nearly "Jaimers" good! :lol: Nicely done! INoHpMI.gif

Yeah, cardinal sins is great. A bit easier than the main game, which I was very glad about!

1 hour ago, Salsa Party Animal said:

Have all the Cave shooters on XBOX 360 got backward compatibility added for XBOX One X/Series X.

I think it's only guwange that got backwards compatible support :(

Give the teslapunk trial a shot, you might get a kick out of that - https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/teslapunk/c05g0ppf749l

I know Dangun Feveron is on the bone, at least the US store.

Cwoooar! This is the sort of thing I say looks gorgeous and people think I'm joking wYELQmH.jpg

If Pear Potion plays as good as it looks, this could be a keeper! Aiming for a February release.

Ooh, there's a demo on itch, will try that later - https://fruit-friend.itch.io/pear-potion-demo

Looks like they've repented and renounced screenshake in time for the steam version, so I'll try and block that out when I'm trying the demo.

I can't really say what releases were my favourite, as I don't really buy on launch day, except for CCWE. I'd never played it before as I don't have a PC, so it was a real pleasure to get this in October.

I started the year modding a stick and trying some DDP DFK 1cc (novice) attempts, and had good fun, but then the pandemic hit and I just wasn't interested in gaming at all. Weird; for many people it's the opposite.

I am slowly getting back into things. Really enjoyed ACA Blazing Star recently, and Darius Gaiden (MAME). I love seeing photos of people's Switch Shmup collections, but I can rarely bring myself to actually buy the physical releases, and actually only have a few digital games, plus Mario Kart and Zelda physical, the latter of which I should sell, really.

I am tempted by Aleste. Looks lovely and there's the micro GG edition, too. But... I know that's going straight onto a shelf, and will I really play Aleste much? I have so many other games, so many other Shmups to play...

For 2021:

get better at my CAVE 360 collection

Switch:

CCWE

Blazing Star

ESP.da.re

what would I purchase? Do I need any? Rolling gunner is supposed to be great. There's Psyvariar and a shit load of shmups tbh. I still don't know if I like physical carts for switch. I like the idea, but actually changing them out, will I like that?

I have the lovely VSHG to use (on all systems) and my 360 HORI RAP VX SE, and also a DC stick added to the mix. Sorted for sticks.

I don't have a shmup on the PS4 yet, either.  I guess I have a shit load on 360 and other platforms already. I bought the switch to play when I was travelling! haha! Travel. That's why I used it 40 hours all of 2020. I would like that to change this year, though.

Apologies that this post has become a stream-of-consciousness babble.

@Spoonman Physical for Switch games always strikes me as kicking yourself in the bollocks every time you want to have fun. Cannot be arsed. If you want to play something, flog it and move on, it's great because they retain their value so it's a much cheaper hobby but otherwise, if I have to do more than move my fat thumb half a millimetre I'm not interested. 

Never understood people getting an expensive physical copy of some total dogshit indie crapper that's £3 a month down the line and pretty average anyway. 

On the other hand, I buy Criterion Blu Rays because the boxes line up nicely. 

Spoiler

And also physical media is actually better quality for movies, compared to most other media where it's the same or worse. 

23 hours ago, ImmaculateClump said:

If Pear Potion plays as good as it looks

It doesn't.

51 minutes ago, Spoonman said:

Weird; for many people it's the opposite.

I know, right? I'm the same!
I went off games completely last year and couldn't enjoy them at all, but slowly got back into playing the odd thing.

I think I've got a good balance right now.
I get to play an hour before bed if I'm lucky and I feel a lot better for it.
Sometimes I used to put a game on and I'd just get obsessed with beating it or my score and keep playing long past enjoying it.

I'm finding the less time I spend on forums is a lot better for my bonce as well.
I mean there are a few threads scattered around different places like this one where everyone is groovy and nice, but uuugh, I can't stand your average gamer.
I poked my head in that "are nintendo shit?" thread earlier and it's just 5 pages of wankers winding each other up.

Then there are other forums where it's all double talking jive and people trying to out smirk each other, just a load of smirking pseuds buried in layers of irony.

Like Marlew says, the only way to be online is to be direct. Say exactly what you mean. It's great having a bit banter in real life where you can connect and see the twinkle in folks eyes, but online, it's so clunky, it's just a mess.

I was playing Gaiden earlier this year. It's good fun, innit? Proper trippy. I was still on the old substances back then so I had a couple of scary moments where I thought things were unravelling when I was first getting into it!

What do you play mame on if you ain't got a pc? You use a pi or do you have an old modded console you use?

I'd snap aleste 3 up if it came to pc, but like you say, if I really wanted to play the others, I could emulate them and they look a bit long and repetitive. I watched that shmupjunkie video and he was enthusiastic enough but wasn't really selling them. I like how they're nice and fast though. I might try and emulate one soon, see if I like them.

36 minutes ago, Marlew said:

@Spoonman Physical for Switch games always strikes me as kicking yourself in the bollocks every time you want to have fun. Cannot be arsed. If you want to play something, flog it and move on, it's great because they retain their value so it's a much cheaper hobby but otherwise, if I have to do more than move my fat thumb half a millimetre I'm not interested. 

Never understood people getting an expensive physical copy of some total dogshit indie crapper that's £3 a month down the line and pretty average anyway.

That’s one reason I bought Zelda physical. I hardly enjoy it at the best of times, so I should sell it really. Digital games at 50 quid is a bit of a joke to me, but physical, OK. Can always sell, or then just keep it.

Digital <20 is something of a sweet spot, but I don’t buy too many at all. I really want to get back into the switch and never had the draw that I hoped it would. I played and love Tetris Effect on PS4/VR but then there’s only bloody 99 on Switch and I don’t want another online service.

The Switch does have some nice shmups, and though there’s more lag than the PS4, I am not good enough for that to be a problem imo.

I agree about the hoarders. Up to them I suppose, but I think it's a problem.

2 minutes ago, ImmaculateClump said:

I'm finding the less time I spend on forums is a lot better for my bonce as well.

Indeed. I actually apply this to the entire internet. It can be very useful, but it's a failed experiment for society, imo.

I was playing Gaiden earlier this year. It's good fun, innit? Proper trippy. I was still on the old substances back then so I had a couple of scary moments where I thought things were unravelling when I was first getting into it!

I really loved Gaiden. Dunno how I missed it all these years. The whole Darius series is great, actually, but I never thought about it, nor the whole "fish" thing. Back in the day, I didn't like shmups. I liked racing games, platformers, then 3rd person, FPS a bit... until I started collection for Dreamcast and got a few shooters. Then moved to Japan and the rest is history.

What do you play mame on if you ain't got a pc? You use a pi or do you have an old modded console you use?

I have Retroarch on my mac, but mainly play on my modded 360, actually. Runs 0.72 MAME brilliantly.

I'd snap aleste 3 up if it came to pc, but like you say, if I really wanted to play the others, I could emulate them and they look a bit long and repetitive. I watched that shmupjunkie video and he was enthusiastic enough but wasn't really selling them. I like how they're nice and fast though. I might try and emulate one soon, see if I like them.

I love the artwork, and the GG was my first console! Aleste looks lovely, and 3 looks like fun. The GG micro is also pretty cool (but pointless), but maybe in 5-10 years they'll be proper collectors items? Who knows. I have a shelf of DC and Saturn stuff here that I need to deal with anyway. 

I love the idea of digital-only in some sense (clutter etc) but I do not trust for one second that archives are being kept nor our abilities to play things. I like to have physical for the things I really love and enjoy. So that's sorted that. I'll get Sonic Mania on Switch in physical.

Hmm. Aleste.

9 minutes ago, ImmaculateClump said:

I poked my head in that "are nintendo shit?" thread earlier and it's just 5 pages of wankers winding each other up.

Then there are other forums where it's all double talking jive and people trying to out smirk each other, just a load of smirking pseuds buried in layers of irony.

This is painfully close to the bone. :lol:

Haha, sorry, it wasn't a sly dig.
I know you don't take yourself seriously and you're self aware enough to know when you're joining in with that sort of thing.

You know what I mean though. It can be exhausting!

45 minutes ago, Spoonman said:

Indeed. I actually apply this to the entire internet. It can be very useful, but it's a failed experiment for society, imo.

Yeah, the nice little pockets seem to be getting smaller :(

1 hour ago, ImmaculateClump said:

I should really take 5 minutes before pressing send on anything.

Edited by Jonster

No, it's very straight forward in fact. Dodge the bullets, kill the baddies, collect the disco men. It's waaay faster than most of caves other games. Be prepared for that, it's very hard.
Excellent game, I think. The disco theme is brilliant fun, but yeah, it's no disco stu laughing stock, it'll kick your arse! :D

I'm the wrong person to ask about how much these games are worth. I think they could slap a 200 quid price tag on dangun and I'd cough up. I'd just think "yeah, I'll be replaying that for years and having fun, seems about right"

You could always fire it up in shmupmame or whatever and try before you buy.

On 13/01/2021 at 13:14, ImmaculateClump said:

Having so much fun with this. The true last boss is no joke! Very close to getting the 1cc but that guy is ruining my life! Gonna beat him soon though, I think. I've looked around the net and my scores are laughable though! People are getting like 200 million, I'm getting 60 :lol:

P8Haoea.png

I'm starting to figure out when to hang back and let the screen fill with bullets for those big screen clearing cancels though. Really good fun, you should try it!

Just discovered this - https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=39977

Should come in handy.

In stage 3, attack the left, right, and middle turrets on the battleship and they should start blinking red. Destroy them in the order they're blinking for the 1up.
Destroy the vakula (those flat, spinning gray things from Xevious, I guess?) before the last boss in stage 5 for a 1up.
Clear the game one time to unlock the C-ship.

19 hours ago, Pockets said:

By about a stone, yeah. 

Is Dangun Feveron worth the €30 the German Xbox shop want? It looks a bit ‘silly’, which seems like a stupid thing to say about a shmup but you know. Is it a bit gimmicky?

Somehow this passed me by. Jesus Christ. It's amazing. 

1 hour ago, Klatrymadon said:

This reminds me I still need to set up a Japanese PS4 account for the downloadable ShotTriggers games. Are there any issues with using UK debit/credit cards to pay?

There are unfortunately. You'll need to get JPN credit from Playasia or similar. They are occasionally on sale, though. 

The Garegga and Ketsui releases are particularly brilliant, though. Absolutely love them. 

Ah nice one, thanks! I have physical copies of Garegga and Esprade Psi, but might go digital for Ketsui, I dunno. The one I'm most after is Mahou Daisakusen!

Ed: I bet that'll be a nightmare to find now that it's no longer on the front page of the shop! :p