The Premium Arrange mode will give you you that 1CC target and a really fun, less mechanically involved game of shooting and dodging. If you ever fancy dipping into the scoring stuff or the rank management (which is completely necessary to clear the regular Arcade mode - I never have), then it's always there to explore. 

That's how I play it. I think this kind of art style needs the scan lines and M2 do a great job every time.

I'd say you can start with Super Easy, it's still fun, not bullshit, and then go for the Premium Arrange next. Work your way up. It's very well balanced in those modes to be fun, and then fun plus challenging. Arcade Mode will probably seem brutal after the first stage or two but that's the nature of it. To give some context, suicide is an important strategy to make it to the end! 

13 minutes ago, Marlew said:

That's how I play it. I think this kind of art style needs the scan lines and M2 do a great job every time.

I'd say you can start with Super Easy, it's still fun, not bullshit, and then go for the Premium Arrange next. Work your way up. It's very well balanced in those modes to be fun, and then fun plus challenging. Arcade Mode will probably seem brutal after the first stage or two but that's the nature of it. To give some context, suicide is an important strategy to make it to the end! 

I put it in Premium mode. Not sure if that’s what you mean? There were three options. Arcade, super easy and Premium. The rest seemed to be soundtrack options. 

I got to the end of Stage 4 without really knowing what I was doing. I’m sure my score was shit but I was happy. 

Didni accidentally put it in easy mode or something? Are there other difficulties?

13 minutes ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Oh wow! This is well fun!
Can you remember who you liked playing as best? I'm liking the lass with the chain smoking racoon!

Absolutely my favourite character, and a Psikyo stalwart. Also an actual woman rather than a child or a robotic 'doll'. Which makes a change. 

5 minutes ago, Pockets said:

I put it in Premium mode. Not sure if that’s what you mean? There were three options. Arcade, super easy and Premium. The rest seemed to be soundtrack options. 

That's the one, yep. It's actually a fixed difficulty on Premium mode (and Super Easy), whereas Arcade steadily increases difficulty for any number of reasons - including how many bullets you've fired! :lol:

There is also a mad hyper mode you can access in Premium mode with some scoring tricks but one to look into further after you get the clear. Glad you're enjoying it so far! 

I’ve been trialling Garegga on Retropie today today because I fancied spending some money but I’m finding it impossible, almost literally, to parse the bullets from the backgrounds! I’ve never had this with any shooter before, it’sa bizarre feeling. They’re just so narrow. I need the soothing neon glow of Cave projectiles. 

On 29/11/2020 at 20:51, Camel said:

Talking of which it's definitely time we had a modern port of Soukyugurentai.

What an utterance this word, Soukyugurentai, say it, straight from the motherland. The contours of my facade are transposed by Hironobu Sakaguchi's, perhaps even those of Hiroyuki Sanada, my facial gestalt precariously shimmering like a deepfake as I solemnly declare those wonderful syllables. It will never be Terra Driver, not in my dwelling at least.

Capcom Arcade Stadium coming to Switch in Feb.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/12/capcom_arcade_stadium_brings_more_retro_action_to_switch_early_next_year

Looks like it'll be a free front end type thing with game bundles available to buy, rather than a complete collection 

Anyway, interesting news is that Progear will be on there, plus a number of other shmups including Giga Wing

I've always wanted to play Progear, excited about that collection in general. Again, all about the pricing...

My physical copy of Ikaruga arrived which is nice. But I massively underestimated what "some assembly required" actually means in reference to the included model. I'll leave mine sealed :lol:

On 09/12/2020 at 21:16, Marlew said:

Absolutely my favourite character

As cool as the raccoon is, I've drifted away for now, I discovered the secret character Ayin who I really like and I'm playing a lot with Tengai at the minute, I think I'm gonna stick with him for now. Feels like it'd be an easier 1cc with either of those and then I can go full raccoon when I'm feeling more confident.
got to stage 7 the other night, exciting!
Man, I forgot what psikyo games did to my nerves! :lol:

On 11/12/2020 at 06:45, Marlew said:

Capcom Arcade Stadium coming to Switch in Feb.

just seen BIL post this on the shmups forum, via someone on resetera.

GHOST 'N' GOBLINS RE (translated/decrypted from 魔界RE) is a Nintendo Switch Timed Exclusive (RE probably stands for RE Engine) releasing on february 25th. It has promotional support from Nintendo and is exclusive for three months. I'tll release on June 1st on PC, PS4 and Xbox One.

ARCADE STADIUM (translated from アーケードスタジアム) is a Nintendo Switch Timed Exclusive with interlocking promotion with GHOST 'N' GOBLINS releasing on February 18th. It'll release on PS4/One/PC on May 25th. It is codename REIWA.

Still no info about who is handling the emulation.

Aaaay, I remember seeing this on the wii-u and always wanted to try it. Did anyone else play it on the wii-u? Any good? - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1500490/Teslapunk/

Got to the final boss in Tengai, got chinned. Don't want to talk about it.

edit: Black Bird is on sale. Get it wolfed!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/857500/BLACK_BIRD/
https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch-download-software/BLACK-BIRD-1455740.html

Can anyone recommend somewhere reliable to get the physical Switch version of Esp.Ra.De, or am I better just getting the digital version?

It seems to be out of print/stock most places, and will likely be in shipping hell for weeks, but I would prefer physical if possible, however, I'm not paying £80+ quid for a UK-based copy on eBay, so might have to bite the bullet on digital, so to speak. 

The sick grabbers always drive up the price of anything even remotely niche.

On the good side, if you do buy it for 65, it's only gonna rise in value. Look at it as an investment!

If you'd really rather not go digital, you could always get one ordered and then play it in shmupmame for practise while you wait for it to arrive.

I usually prefer physical as an insurance policy against me not liking something :) It's tempting to go digital because then I can just get on and play it without waiting for weeks/months. It's my own fault - I left it too late to get a copy imported before Christmas, should have done it earlier in the year.

Oh right, you haven't played it?
Sorry man, that's my fault, assuming the room is full of shmup dweebs.

I don't know how much we're allowed to talk about emulation here, or how much of a technophobe you are, but you can get old arcade games running in your internet browser nowadays with zero hassle.
It won't be the best option, obviously, but more than good enough to get a feel for a game and to see if you like it.

I bought it on the digital store due to impatience, and played it a fair bit, then stopped. I kind of stopped with a lot of shmups around march time when this year became shit. I got back into things a little with Crimson Clover the other week, and now I am off work for 3 weeks, I think I will give some shmups some more time.

Part of that isnt really shmups, but the Switch. I bought it to have portable gaming, and haven't left the 100m surrounding my apartment since February.  I used to travel loads, but that's all over. Anyway, wrong thread.

In happier news, my Saturn arrived from the UK (thanks to my bro) so I will give the original DDP a go.